What if my PSU is Physically too small/too big for my case?

JoeyStrickGaming

I'm just wondering, I want to get this PSU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139228&ignorebbr=1

But I also have the case of this Pre-Built: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JA6UM0025&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+PC-_-9SIA9JA6UM0025&gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKsmbiS_tFOiicX_XFFD_lCeumEQgzIA3p6vFiNYjFNa0kJr0q9QyovBoCVjYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd just like to know if it was too big, if it's safe to lie it on my wooden desk, or it it's too small, if I could do the same or still put it in my case.

I'd like to replace my GPU, it's currently a Radeon RX 550, I'm thinking about the GTX 1070 ITX.

Well, that's not really important if this isn't a great PSu, if you could give me a good PSU, or an answer to my question?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

Is the 650w version good or shit.

The 650 watt VS unit you posted is bad, but the CX line is much higher quality, so a 650 watt CX power supply would be good. You won't need more that the 550W for an i5 and a 1070.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

Why do you want a 650W PSU to power a 250W PC?

:)

Just now, JoeyStrickGaming said:

a Ryaen 7 1700 and a GTX 1070 will need more than a 300w PSU

No. A Ryzen 1700 and a 1070 will draw about 250W under load. 

:)

Just now, JoeyStrickGaming said:

I use a Ryzen 7 1700 btw.

Ok if you use a ryzen 7 no problem. The 550 watt will still be fine, but the 650 watt will be of the same quality. As long as you don't go with the bottom of the barrel VS series, you're good.

Primary PC:

And with a 1080p monitor, RGB Keyboard and mouse? Either way, I'm not going to take the risk of it shutting or damaging anything.

1 minute ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

And with a 1080p monitor, RGB Keyboard and mouse? Either way, I'm not going to take the risk of it shutting or damaging anything.

You will be fine with the 550W, even for all of these things. Maybe the extra 10 or so dollars will be worth the peace of mind, so why not go for the 650 then. Up to you.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

But I only have a 300w PSU right now

54 minutes ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

This is an image I found on Google Images. This is the same exact case.

45 minutes ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

Dude, you should check if the PSU is ATX Compatible. That Picture you posted doesn't look like it is.

Second, where do you live, what's available?

Third, 650W is bullshit, if we ain't talking about a HEDT System, wich you don't have with a Highest End GPU, wich you don't have.

So a high quality 400-450W is all you need and want, not an "Overwattage" thing that gives you shit.

You wanted that 650W Thing for 54 USD?

How about this higher quality one for 60??

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817376009&cm_re=Bitfenix_Formula-_-17-376-009-_-Product

Its better in every way!

And yo do not need more Watt!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That Picture you posted doesn't look like it is.

First pic does look like ATX to me, just a little tight fit. But still, you're right, OP should post a pic of the PSU model or some more comprehensive pics to be sure.

Primary PC:

6 hours ago, JoeyStrickGaming said:

The monitor doesn't draw power from your PSU (it draws power from your wall... is that not obvious enough...?) and the keyboard on it's own, if it uses two USB plugs like I would imagine it does, then it can use a maximum of 10 watts, because USB 3.0 allows for a max of 5W of power draw. 5W for the mouse too. 

Here's my heavily OC'd GTX 970 and moderately OC'd 1700X hitting 330W of power draw under load, if you want the TL;DR.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||