help configure workstation for retouching/video editing

Hello and nice to meet you. I have to buy a new pc and I kindly ask for your help. 

(I copied this form from the thread "Please read before posting" to be more accurate)

1. Budget & Location
I'm not yet :P  so expert on computer so I do not know precisely what needs to spend to have what I need; however I think I could get around 2000€ (2700$USD) or higher for more performance. I'm from Italy.

2. Aim
The system is for retouching (photoshop, lightroom, premiere, sony vegas, after effects, quick time pro), of full frame DSLR raw(Canon 5D MarkIII); production, editing and rendering timelapse or video (even in Full HD); mulitasking with music, internet. Games occasionally.

3. Monitors
I have to buy a new monitor, from 23"-24" or higher; IPS, to print with good color fidelity,  any advice also on the resolution to choose is well accepted

4. Peripherals
I need to purchase keyboard and mice, and the OS,  

5. Why are you upgrading?
because I have a pc with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of Ram, Gt 630 :wacko:, I should update it several years ago

Thanks to all those who will help

where are you from? that is important

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

where are you from? that is important

he said italy

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

Hello and nice to meet you. I have to buy a new pc and I kindly ask for your help. 

(I copied this form from the thread "Please read before posting" to be more accurate)

Honestly, an AMD fx series like the fx 8350 up +A 7th generation Nvidia graphics card will suite your needs with 16GB of RAM :D

it would be the best config for Video Rendering and Photoshop :D

Honestly, an AMD fx series like the fx 8350 up +A 7th generation Nvidia graphics card will suite your needs with 16GB of RAM :D

it would be the best config for Video Rendering and Photoshop :D

no were near the best

1. Budget & Location

I'm not yet :P  so expert on computer so I do not know precisely what needs to spend to have what I need; however I think I could get around 2000€ (2700$USD) or higher for more performance. I'm from Italy.

2. Aim

The system is for retouching (photoshop, lightroom, premiere, sony vegas, after effects, quick time pro), of full frame DSLR raw(Canon 5D MarkIII); production, editing and rendering timelapse or video (even in Full HD); mulitasking with music, internet. Games occasionally.

3. Monitors

I have to buy a new monitor, from 23"-24" or higher; IPS, to print with good color fidelity,  any advice also on the resolution to choose is well accepted

4. Peripherals

because I have a pc with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of Ram, Gt 630 :wacko:, I should update it several years ago

is $2700 with tower and everything else as well?

Firetruck will never die.

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

All parts listed are priced from Amazon.IT. You may be able to find local suppliers with better prices.

The configuration I suggest includes a pen & tablet for retouch and other fine editing work. I would have liked to make the SSD larger but it wouldn't fit into the budget without cutting something I felt was more important. The SSD would be your C: drive and would also be used as the scratch disk.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€267.59 @ Amazon Italia)

Motherboard:  Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€69.33 @ Amazon Italia)

Memory:  GeIL Black Dragon 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€159.50 @ Amazon Italia)

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (€143.54 @ Amazon Italia)

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€71.00 @ Amazon Italia)

Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  (€296.99 @ Amazon Italia)

Case:  Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (€36.53 @ Amazon Italia)

Power Supply:  SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€137.82 @ Amazon Italia)

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  (€101.93 @ Amazon Italia)

Monitor:  Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor  (€361.35 @ Amazon Italia)

Keyboard:  Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  (€59.44)

Other: Wacom Wireless Kit - ACK-40401-S (€29.63)

Other: Wacom Intuos Pen - CTH-680S-DEIT - Tablet with Pen - Medium (€170.77)

Total: €1905.42

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-05 02:24 CET+0100)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

What versions of Adobe are you using? Are you heavy on cuda accelerated functions of AfterEffects?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

thanks for your answers :)

is $2700 with tower and everything else as well?

yes it is 

@brob thank you for this configuration; however I will buy the tablet separately.

For the tower i like something like this Corsair 600T http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/graphite-series-pc-case/graphite-series-600t.html?___store=us&___from_store=it what do you think?

What versions of Adobe are you using? Are you heavy on cuda accelerated functions of AfterEffects?

CS6; with my current computer I can't, but probably will not be really really heavy

For the tower i like something like this Corsair 600T http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/graphite-series-pc-case/graphite-series-600t.html?___store=us&___from_store=it what do you think?

CS6; with my current computer I can't, but probably will not be really really heavy

You shouldn't remove the headers for the quote boxes or else we won't get notifications for it.

The 600T is a nice case but quite expensive. Looks are subjective so you should pretty much go with whatever you think looks good.

Are you planning to utilize cuda for accelerating some After Effects features?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@brob thank you for this configuration; however I will buy the tablet separately.

If the tablet isn't included in the budget, then a GTX 780 would be a better choice for gpu.

The 600T is a nice looking, well built but expensive compared to some alternatives. That said, you will have to look at it every day so pick a case that satisfies your asthetic.

Are you planning to utilize cuda for accelerating some After Effects features?

Yes but not so heavy ;-)

For the motherboard I think I will take a ATX and not a Micro ATX; any advise? what socket? what chipset?

thanks again :)

Yes but not so heavy ;-)

For the motherboard I think I will take a ATX and not a Micro ATX; any advise? what socket? what chipset?

thanks again :)

Why ATX? Because of the 600T? Smaller is more practical because you can move it around and it take sup less space.

I have recommendations for the entire build. I'd just like to get some question out of the way first so I can help recommend the most appropriate build for you.

Why ATX?

I'm not so expert, but I thought for things like more USB, 5.1 or better audio;  because it would be more expandable in the future.

Am I wrong?

I'm not so expert, but I thought for things like more USB, 5.1 or better audio;  because it would be more expandable in the future.

Am I wrong?

Audio doesn't really change between atx and matx. As for usb drives, the motherboard i/o stays the same size. Atx doesn't necessarily always have more.

Unless you're looking at triple/quad sli/crossfire, matx will likely have everything you need. 

Audio doesn't really change between atx and matx. As for usb drives, the motherboard i/o stays the same size. Atx doesn't necessarily always have more.

Unless you're looking at triple/quad sli/crossfire, matx will likely have everything you need. 

most likely you are right, the main reason that I thought was for a higher expandability in the future if I needed it;

however right now i'm not looking at quad sli  :D

most likely you are right, the main reason that I thought was for a higher expandability in the future if I needed it;

however right now i'm not looking at quad sli  :D

Are you looking to sli at all?

Are you looking to sli at all?

right now I think that I don't need sli, maybe in future..

I wrote the use of the pc in the first post. What do you think?

right now I think that I don't need sli, maybe in future..

I wrote the use of the pc in the first post. What do you think?

I'd recommend something like this: http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/2wi4D

I'd recommend something like this: http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/2wi4D

I will spend more on the mobo; for example the Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 doesn't have 5.1 audio.

Do you think that a Xeon would be better for me than an i7?

Thank you ;-)

I will spend more on the mobo; for example the Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 doesn't have 5.1 audio.

Do you think that a Xeon would be better for me than an i7?

Thank you ;-)

It has 7.1 audio... https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85MG/#specifications

The e3-1230 v3 performs almost just as well as the 4770 but is certified to run 24/7/366 stable and is also cheaper. 

It has 7.1 audio... https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85MG/#specifications

The e3-1230 v3 performs almost just as well as the 4770 but is certified to run 24/7/366 stable and is also cheaper. 

maybe I'm wrong, but for example, my current motherboard (an ancient asus p5b) has more input jack for speaker (green, black, orange, and 3 others, for subwoofer, rear, front, etc..)

in your opinion a motherboard and processor with socket 2011 is not for me? 

maybe I'm wrong, but for example, my current motherboard (an ancient asus p5b) has more input jack for speaker (green, black, orange, and 3 others, for subwoofer, rear, front, etc..)

It can be a little confusing. Each of the audio jacks carries 2 channels so the board supports 4, 6, and 8 channel sound. In 6 channel mode (5.1) the light blue jack carries rear speakers (2 channels), lime jack is front speakers (2 channels), and pink is the bass/center (2 channels). In 8 channel mode (7.1) the front panel jack is used for side speakers (2 channels).

thank you @brob On my actual motherboard I have the black, the lime, and the orange one employed by the same color jack of a 5.1 audio system; Now I wonder what the use of the others in my situation :huh:

@WoodenMarker At the moment i need just one monitor, so we can use that money for a better monitor or other components;

the case you have chosen is not for me :P

The Asus B85M-G does not convince me at all; for example: right now I don't think that I need 2 video cards, but if in a year I needed It, i should also change the motherboard

@WoodenMarker At the moment i need just one monitor, so we can use that money for a better monitor or other components;

the case you have chosen is not for me :P

Get two. It'll make a huge difference for editing, retouching, and content creation in general in terms of productivity.

Looks are quite subjective. Pick what looks good to you.

If you're not even multitasking to the point where you don't need more than one monitor for retouching, I highly doubt you need anything more than the 4770k.