my 1080 is worse then a 480 rx

4 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

my pc says it has 16 gigs installed in my system page

And it will. Your system recognizes all 16GB of RAM, but there are four slots divided into two channels. You're talking apples and oranges.

Usually, channel 1 is slots 1 and 3, sometimes it's 2 and 4 (that's rare). I have never seen a motherboard where the channels are slots 1 and 2, or slots 3 and 4, where the channel is "two slots right next to each other." They always skip a RAM slot. I haven't seen it any other way.

Motherboards do not like having single sticks of RAM in each channel. They are not designed to run like this.

Edited by NickPickerWI
Added info

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

2 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

And it will. Your system recognizes all 16GB of RAM, but there are four slots divided into two channels. You're talking apples and oranges.

Usually, channel 1 is slots 1 and 3, sometimes it's 2 and 4 (that's rare). I have never seen a motherboard where the channels are slots 1 and 2, or slots 3 and 4, where the channel is "two slots right next to each other."

Motherboards do not like having single sticks of RAM in each channel. They are not designed to run like this.

so i should just try it and see if i get more?

3 hours ago, Netivity said:

Have you got the latest drivers?

yeah i still get like 160-200

1 minute ago, sideqcktv said:

every streamer does it plus i stream so why not i also have my gpu ocd

It's okay to set it to unlimited if you're not reaching the refresh rate. You're getting tearing, which is why it looks bad.

Why did you come on here if you aren't going to take advice?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

so i should just try it and see if i get more?

You should try it so you don't destroy the memory controller inside your CPU, your motherboard, or your RAM. That's probably why I would look at the manual (online) for your motherboard and make sure both sticks of RAM are in the right channel. I have no idea what happens when you run it like I think you have it for a long time.

Having only 150FPS does you no good when your computer doesn't work anymore.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's okay to set it to unlimited if you're not reaching the refresh rate. You're getting tearing, which is why it looks bad.

Why did you come on here if you aren't going to take advice?

i am taking advice im trying to fix bottleneck with my 1080 and want to know why its not getting its full potential i bought it for results when i stream games i cant even hit 110 fps

You should try it so you don't destroy the memory controller inside your CPU, your motherboard, or your RAM. That's probably why I would look at the manual (online) for your motherboard and make sure both sticks of RAM are in the right channel. I have no idea what happens when you run it like I think you have it for a long time.

Having only 150FPS does you no good when your computer doesn't work anymore.

ok ill look it up idk how to but i will

9 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

You are also running a monitor that has AMD FreeSync. Your video card uses GSync. Your monitor is not able to deal with the screen tearing when it goes over 144 frames per second. Other people who do streaming and gaming probably have monitors that match their video cards, so they don't have screen tearing if they have more frames per second than the monitor can handle.

You're having screen tearing issues, as someone else said. It has nothing to do with your FPS. Getting higher FPS will only make it worse, because you have the wrong kind of monitor for the video card you have.

was your friend's rx 480 overclocked ?

and is your 1080 overclocked ?

5 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

You are also running a monitor that has AMD FreeSync. Your video card uses GSync. Your monitor is not able to deal with the screen tearing when it goes over 144 frames per second. Other people who do streaming and gaming probably have monitors that match their video cards, so they don't have screen tearing if they have more frames per second than the monitor can handle.

You're having screen tearing issues, as someone else said. It has nothing to do with your FPS. Getting higher FPS will only make it worse, because you have the wrong kind of monitor for the video card you have.

no i dont have amd free sync i just have LED

17 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

no i dont have amd free sync i just have LED

That's like saying "no, my car doesn't have wheels, it has gasoline." LED's make the color in the monitor. Freesync makes the LED's make the color.

3 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

That's like saying "no, my car doesn't have wheels, it has gasoline." LED's make the color in the monitor. Freesync makes the LED's make the color.

Well me and my friend have the same monitor but his says freesync and led while mine just says led so I would assume that it doesn’t have it

Well me and my friend have the same monitor but his says freesync and led while mine just says led so I would assume that it doesn’t have it

I looked up your monitor. If LG makes one that doesn't have Freesync, I didn't see it. I apologize.

Even so, then your monitor does not have any frame sync technology, so again, it's screen tearing that makes it look so bad.

Your friend has an AMD video card, and a monitor that corrects screen tearing for AMD video cards. That's why his computer looks better than yours. You have an NVidia card and nothing in the monitor that corrects screen tearing. You would want a monitor that has G-Sync.

That said, you should set your FPS cap to 144. Other streamers and gamers will be able to set their FPS to unlimited because their systems were built to handle screen tearing. Yours is not, because of the monitor you have.

2 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

I looked up your monitor. If LG makes one that doesn't have Freesync, I didn't see it. I apologize.

Even so, then your monitor does not have any frame sync technology, so again, it's screen tearing that makes it look so bad.

Your friend has an AMD video card, and a monitor that corrects screen tearing for AMD video cards. That's why his computer looks better than yours. You have an NVidia card and nothing in the monitor that corrects screen tearing. You would want a monitor that has G-Sync.

That said, you should set your FPS cap to 144. Other streamers and gamers will be able to set their FPS to unlimited because their systems were built to handle screen tearing. Yours is not, because of the monitor you have.

Oh no I was talking about another friend who has a evga 1060 and that monitor g sync monitors are also 500 expensive but I guess I should’ve said that

1 hour ago, sideqcktv said:

i am taking advice im trying to fix bottleneck with my 1080 and want to know why its not getting its full potential i bought it for results when i stream games i cant even hit 110 fps

1) There's no way your friend is getting 300fps on high with just an RX 480.

2) No monitor that I'm aware of can even show 300fps, so it would be pointless anyway.

3) You're using an i5 to stream. That's your bottleneck.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Y'all acting like you need a 300Hz monitor to justify a higher framerate and prolly don't even understand how Overwatch responds to framerate. There's a reason I capped my 1080 Ti to 195 FPS, and it's not because my monitor hits that number.

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

2) No monitor that I'm aware of can even show 300fps, so it would be pointless anyway.

2) There are still 240Hz monitors, which gets a bit closer, but I'd recommend an overclocked 8700k if that's the route you want to go.

3) You can use an i5 to stream, you're just not going to be using it for x264 encoding is all (unless you want to run at reduced FPS).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

7 minutes ago, Suika said:

Y'all acting like you need a 300Hz monitor to justify a higher framerate and prolly don't even understand how Overwatch responds to framerate. There's a reason I capped my 1080 Ti to 195 FPS, and it's not because my monitor hits that number.

2) There are still 240Hz monitors, which gets a bit closer, but I'd recommend an overclocked 8700k if that's the route you want to go.

3) You can use an i5 to stream, you're just not going to be using it for x264 encoding is all (unless you want to run at reduced FPS).

yeah when i stream i get potato fps i was thinking on getting either 9600k or 9700k depending on the benchmarks coming out in a month or so

1 hour ago, Suika said:

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

1) There's no way your friend is getting 300fps on high with just an RX 480.

i now get 200fps on average on overwatch on high settings does that sound good for a 1080? or should i be getting more?

1 hour ago, Suika said:

No kidding, but his frame rate drops when streaming.

1 hour ago, sideqcktv said:

yeah when i stream i get potato fps i was thinking on getting either 9600k or 9700k depending on the benchmarks coming out in a month or so

"I'm going to throw money at this because I don't understand how frame rates work"

i now get 200fps on average on overwatch on high settings does that sound good for a 1080? or should i be getting more?

That's good for a 1080 and a quad core. Higher frame rates are just going to make the game look worse (with your monitor), so you don't want that.

You know you have bad friends when they lie about having 300 FPS with RX580

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

3 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

Did you just suggested that putting memory in wrong slot will cause IMC damage ?

You can run your memory however you like. It can't damage CPU/MB in anyway unless either you seat it incorrectly (and pins get shorted) or your RAM was damaged electricly.

OP : Download manual from manufacturers website or check for on-line version.

Read about populating RAM slots in chapter about installing RAM.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

4 hours ago, sideqcktv said:

every streamer does it plus i stream so why not i also have my gpu ocd

Streamers are hardly the golden standard when it comes to computer knowledge

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Your friend lies.

This also suggests that the 1080 should be capable of more than 200 fps, though.

How about you get together with your friend and swap video cards in the systems and see what the results are.  Use Ddu to remove drivers when swapping cards like this.  

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

10 hours ago, sideqcktv said:

Are you using GPU encoding?