my 1080 is worse then a 480 rx

so my friend has a rx 480 and he gets 300 fps on overwatch high settings i have a 1080 and play on high get 150-180 fps why is my card so bad?

Have you got the latest drivers?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

What CPU do you have?

2 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Have you got the latest drivers?

yes i got the 1080 only a month ago and i have a i5 7600k ocd to 4.8ghz

Just now, sideqcktv said:

yes i got the 1080 only a month ago and i have a i5 7600k ocd to 4.8ghz

I'm confused, so you have physically checked and it said: "your drivers are up to date"? or you just assume they are because it's only a month old?

Maybe it is just optimized better for AMD cards?

5 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

so my friend has a rx 480 and he gets 300 fps on overwatch high settings i have a 1080 and play on high get 150-180 fps why is my card so bad?

What resolution are you and your friend playing at?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What resolution are you and your friend playing at?

both 1080

1 minute ago, sideqcktv said:

both 1080

Did you set Overwatch's fps cap to 180?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Just now, bleedblue said:

Did you set Overwatch's fps cap to 180?

3 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

both 1080

Hmmm. Maybe you are running more complex anti-aliasing,or have shadows on.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

What resolution is he running? What resolution are you running?

Are you running dual channel RAM? Do you have them in the correct slots on the motherboard for dual channel?

Is your video card getting enough free airflow?

To comment on your friend's claim, 300fps on Overwatch on a 480 high settings seems to be a little extreme given what I know about that card. Have you observed this, or has your friend just told you this? Because an overclocked RX580 8GB will push 144 frames per second on a 1080p monitor with some of the settings kicked down. Otherwise it gets maybe 90 FPS.

I'd like to know why you need it to push higher than what you have as well. What monitor do you have? Does it display more than 165Hz (FPS)?

If you left out the part about your friend's AMD card, and the part about how your card is "bad," I would have said "sounds like your card is doing great!"

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

If you lower the settings, does the game still run at the same frame rate?

System temps? Maybe it's throttling?

Maybe your friend is a LIAR

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

3 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

What resolution is he running? What resolution are you running?

Are you running dual channel RAM? Do you have them in the correct slots on the motherboard for dual channel?

Is your video card getting enough free airflow?

To comment on your friend's claim, 300fps on Overwatch on a 480 high settings seems to be a little extreme given what I know about that card. Have you observed this, or has your friend just told you this? Because an overclocked RX580 8GB will push 144 frames per second on a 1080p monitor with some of the settings kicked down. Otherwise it gets maybe 90 FPS.

I'd like to know why you need it to push higher than what you have as well. What monitor do you have? Does it display more than 165Hz (FPS)?

hmm thats weird  i have 144hz and it looks so laggy with 150-180 fps i need more frames i also have my ram in slots 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are empty

3 hours ago, bleedblue said:

If you lower the settings, does the game still run at the same frame rate?

System temps? Maybe it's throttling?

Maybe your friend is a LIAR

yeah around the same fps idk why

yeah around the same fps idk why

Uninstall display drivers with DDU then reinstall latest.

i have 144hz and it looks so laggy with 150-180 fps i need more frames

144Hz = up to 144 frames per second.

You can throw 600 frames per second at the monitor. It can only ever display 144 frames per second.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

1 minute ago, NickPickerWI said:

144Hz = up to 144 frames per second.

You can throw 600 frames per second at the monitor. It can only ever display 144 frames per second.

If he's exceeding 144Hz, but has "lag", he could have something crazy going on that's causing a lot of dips. 300+ fps with dips to 45 FPS could average around what OP is stating.

Wait...do you have Vsync on?

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If he's exceeding 144Hz, but has "lag", he could have something crazy going on that's causing a lot of dips. 300+ fps with dips to 45 FPS could average around what OP is stating.

Sure, and agreed. But OP said "between 150 and 180fps," so if that data is correct, this couldn't be the case. It's in between 150 and 180.

This sounds like it could be screen tearing, or not having a GSync monitor.

3 hours ago, bleedblue said:

Uninstall display drivers with DDU then reinstall latest.

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

could it be a cpu problem? also why not just clean install?

2 hours ago, bleedblue said:

Wait...do you have Vsync on?

no never have i ever had vsync on

2 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

Sure, and agreed. But OP said "between 150 and 180fps," so if that data is correct, this couldn't be the case. It's in between 150 and 180.

This sounds like it could be screen tearing, or not having a GSync monitor.

i have https://gyazo.com/2b00cdd7345023e252778227fd64af93

8 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

hmm thats weird  i have 144hz and it looks so laggy with 150-180 fps i need more frames i also have my ram in slots 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are empty

You don't want it to display over 144fps. That's how you get tearing. For the smoothest experience your frame rate should be exactly the same as your refresh rate.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

i also have my ram in slots 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are empty

You should check your motherboard manual. Usually, channel 1 is slots 1 and 3, and channel 2 is slots 2 and 4. You may be running your RAM in single channel mode - I just helped someone on here because his FPS was ranging from 209 to 6, and it was because of this.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You don't want it to display over 144fps. That's how you get tearing. For the smoothest experience your frame rate should be exactly the same as your refresh rate.

everyone who has a 144hz monitor always sets to unlimited

2 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

You should check your motherboard manual. Usually, channel 1 is slots 1 and 3, and channel 2 is slots 2 and 4. You may be running your RAM in single channel mode - I just helped someone on here because his FPS was ranging from 209 to 6, and it was because of this.

my pc says it has 16 gigs installed in my system page

Just now, sideqcktv said:

everyone who has a 144hz monitor always sets to unlimited

Only people who don't understand refresh rates do that.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Only people who don't understand refresh rates do that.

every streamer does it plus i stream so why not i also have my gpu ocd