Who Won This Year: NVIDIA or AMD?

Money

What do you guys think? I think AMD won because of how well the 7970 out performs the NVIDIA counterpart.

Neither won, they both brought their A-Game. This is one of the few years we have seen each other's counter parts trade punched with each other so well. 2012 was a great year for competition and good for the consumer. Also I would hardly say the 7970 out performs the 680 by that much.

perfrel.gif

Both of them won. They both did a great job of delivering a solid performance increase over last gen. AMD did a better job of pricing but that was mainly only so they could keep an edge over nVidia.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

Its nice to see the competition so tight. Hopefully that motivated them to really amaze us with their new cards.

They both did great but price to performance AMD all the way dude. Nvidia sucks when you have to pay for overpriced hardware

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Its nice to see the competition so tight. Hopefully that motivated them to really amaze us with their new cards.

I am so excited for what they bring this year as well.

Allegedly the 8000 series is going to be awesome as is the 700. I hope that nVidia fixes the issues with computing on Kepler, but I doubt they will as they probably want to drive customers towards their Quadro cards.

Why would they want people to buy the Quadro cards?

While I don't have the exact sales numbers, I pretty much agree that both of them "won" in 2012, AMD got a head start on NVIDIA by releasing their 7900s lineup ~3 months earlier, but NVIDIA came back firing with their GK104 based GPUs, which at the time of release beat AMD on both performance and price, forcing AMD to slash prices to stay competitive, then AMD went ahead and released what I consider the best driver release in all of my years following computer hardware, the 12.11s, forcing NVIDIA to so some serious hat tricks with their drivers as well, 310.54...

So all in all, I'd say that they both had incredibly successful years, this is why competition is good, is good for everyone, even for them.

Well, AMD won because of the Matrix Platinum imo.

However, AMD went full retard on their dual-GPU card, and didn't even finish the designs for it.

Nvidia easily wins the dual-GPU card with their sexy 690.

Tricky question, they both produced amazing cards this past year. Looking only at the top end cards AMD has the fastest single GPU but it runs hotter, louder and uses more power that the 680. So i would say here it is a draw.

NVIDIA won in the sense that they brought a dual GPU out that wasn't pawned off to board partners. It was a pretty amazing card all things considered.

Further down their line up i would say fairly even for the most part when looking at performance, thermals, noise and actual size of the card etc when compared to the price.

Overall i would say that NVIDIA won but sales were similar

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

AMD for pricing, Nvidia for performance and driver support.

AMD for pricing' date=' Nvidia for performance and driver support.[/quote']

AMDs driver support has been amazing, regularly updated and we have had substantial boosts in performance with the latest drivers...

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

both did a amazing job! maybe AMD wins my favor because they did bring excellent hardware in times that were not very easy for them. and they fixed the drivers problem !

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

i am loving this community, no trollish fanboys on a thread like this. and i agree with the majority, they both had an awesome year, great competition, they both have the strengths and weaknesses, but they both are as a post above this stated, bringing their a game.

i am loving this community' date=' no trollish fanboys on a thread like this. and i agree with the majority, they both had an awesome year, great competition, they both have the strengths and weaknesses, but they both are as a post above this stated, bringing their a game.[/quote']

I'm honestly surprised and glad, hope it stays this way. Any other forum this would have been a 100 post thread by now full of bashing.

Neither won, they both brought their A-Game. This is one of the few years we have seen each other's counter parts trade punched with each other so well. 2012 was a great year for competition and good for the consumer. Also I would hardly say the 7970 out performs the 680 by that much.

perfrel.gif

It's like a 100$ cheaper, AND it's faster , being just faster is good, being just cheaper is good ,being both is epic .

AMD brought the house down this year, I personally believe it's their best year in the last 10 years .

However, AMD went full retard on their dual-GPU card, and didn't even finish the designs for it.

Yeah it's pretty funny as it's usually the opposite.

AMD did badly though; it comes down to the manufacturer doing well.

AMD could have done well with their dual-GPU card as well, if they had at least finished the thing and not run away to PC.

Nvidia kinda f*ck*d people over with their 'Greenlight' scheme. That annoyed me :-/

But for me its always best bang for buck, which seems to always be AMD =P

Nvidia mad a great 660ti, but amd also made a good 7870. the 7970 is sexy in all editions, though the 680 is still a beast and wins in some to most games. i think this year we progressed farther than any year in the past with all the competition. amd and Nvidia had a tie, fanboys can take any side, but they both threw a nice fight. 2013 will have to offer something different though. give each team a chance this year. Happy new Year to all Amd Fanboy=Nvidia Fanboy

I would say that amd had an amazing run, with 7850 and 7970 primarily, and so did nvidea, the 660ti, 670 and 680 are all great cards.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD