Why doesn't floatplane advertise their Kodi plugin?

ryao
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Floatplane arent big on the advertising front.

I found a floatplane kodi plugin on github:

https://github.com/MrWolvetech/plugin.video.floatplaneclub

I installed it and its dependencies on a RPi 3 that I have and very promptly ran into a bug, so I wrote a fix:

https://github.com/MrWolvetech/plugin.video.floatplaneclub/pull/1

It works rather nicely. Why doesn't floatplane talk about it?

Floatplane arent big on the advertising front.

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

because it's not their plugin, it's a third party one

When I said their plugin, I meant that it is a plugin for floatplane. It is also open source and written in python, so they can basically do whatever they want with it.

3 minutes ago, ryao said:

When I said their plugin, I meant that it is a plugin for floatplane. It is also open source and written in python, so they can basically do whatever they want with it.

Because if anything were to happen with it, they don't want to be liable with anything. 

Just now, tp95112 said:

Because if anything were to happen with it, they don't want to be liable with anything. 

Do you have any examples of what “anything” means here?

2 minutes ago, ryao said:

Do you have any examples of what “anything” means here?

If the developer decides one day to be an ass and makes the plugin do something malicious, they don't want that fault on them by advertising it.

5 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

If the developer decides one day to be an ass and makes the plugin do something malicious, they don't want that fault on them by advertising it.

They could always fork it and distribute it themselves. The developer at the moment is not even distributing it properly. You need to install it by putting the files in the right place, adjusting the directory permissions and then enabling it from the Kodi interface.

I had been concerned that it might be malicious given that it is not part of Kodi’s official repository, so I read the source code before installing it. It looked clean.

That being said, I guess one problem is that it is a LTT floatplane plug-in rather than a general floatplane plugin. It logs into the forums and scraps them to get the LTT video urls from floatplane.

The whole service is still in alpha phase. They don't advertise it anywhere than their own videos and other FP creators videos. I would say main reason for keeping things down is buggy service and not enough people to handle support requests. They don't even have real landing page for site.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv