10nm and 7nm leap

I'm thinking of buying a desktop gaming PC with whiskey lake and RTX coming up. But then again, I'm reading about cannonlake aming for 10nm and 7nm GPUs being on the up and coming. Do people have any ideas about how big the leap in performance will be, just based on the change in architecture? Any reason to wait for the new standard? I'm kinda torn, because I could use a desktop PC (only have a low performing gaming laptop) and it is always something new coming, but it seems kinda sad to buy new gear right before a big leap (if that is what it is). Any thoughts?

The AMD 7nm cpus should do 5-5.5ghz, judging by the IBM 7nm cpu that is on a similar process.

And amd ones will come out in the middle of 2019, so if you need a new computer just buy now.

I expect intel 10nm to be similar, but they come out a year later than amd chips.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Everything will always be "coming soon". Just buy previous gen high end components at a great price. That way you can be almost cutting edge without breaking the bank.
If a new component comes out right after, you can just say, cool, there is my next CPU/GPU etc. when the price goes down. No buyers remorse.

Or if you have the money to burn, the question doesn't matter, just buy both.

It's still 6-12 months until these 10nm/7nm siliconstuffs get released so unless you really want that extra performance, you're better off just getting your build sorted now :)

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

47 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

The AMD 7nm cpus should do 5-5.5ghz, judging by the IBM 7nm cpu that is on a similar process.

And amd ones will come out in the middle of 2019, so if you need a new computer just buy now.

I expect intel 10nm to be similar, but they come out a year later than amd chips.

5-5.5 ghz? where did you pull that from? it's not all about the node size or manufacturer you know.... the architecture is very important as well..

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

7 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

5-5.5 ghz? where did you pull that from? it's not all about the node size or manufacturer you know.... the architecture is very important as well..

That would be a pretty logical improvement. The amd 12nm(refined 14nm) is 4.35Ghz, so i would hope they would boost the clock to 5ghz. If intel can do 5ghz on 12nm, why couldnt amd do 5ghz on 7nm?

There have been lots of speculation about it, but the number is more based on the IMB cpu, speculation and my hopes.

https://digiworthy.com/2018/03/10/amd-7nm-zen-2-matisse-cpus-5ghz/

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That would be a pretty logical improvement. The amd 12nm(refined 14nm) is 4.35Ghz, so i would hope they would boost the clock to 5ghz. If intel can do 5ghz on 12nm, why couldnt amd do 5ghz on 7nm?

There have been lots of speculation about it, but the number is more based on the IMB cpu  amd speculation and my hopes.

https://digiworthy.com/2018/03/10/amd-7nm-zen-2-matisse-cpus-5ghz/

i think you should lower your expectations because you'll be deeply disappointed.. you can ask the same question, why can Intel do 5 - 5.3 Ghz on 14nm and AMD can barely do 4.3ghz on 12nm? the architecture determines what clock speed the node can achieve, my best guess is they'll push it to 4.6 or maybe 4.7ghz at best.

people were hoping for 4.5 or 4.6ghz when AMD moved from 14nm to 12nm, but all they could achieve was 4.2ghz, the CPU can achieve 4.3 but not every CPU can, the average is more like 4.2, that's only a 200mhz jump from 14nm. (i'm talking about all core frequency)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

19 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

i think you should lower your expectations because you'll be deeply disappointed.. you can ask the same question, why can Intel do 5 - 5.3 Ghz on 14nm and AMD can barely do 4.3ghz on 12nm? the architecture determines what clock speed the node can achieve, my best guess is they'll push it to 4.6 or maybe 4.7ghz at best.

people were hoping for 4.5 or 4.6ghz when AMD moved from 14nm to 12nm, but all they could achieve was 4.2ghz, the CPU can achieve 4.3 but not every CPU can, the average is more like 4.2, that's only a 200mhz jump from 14nm. (i'm talking about all core frequency)

We will have to wait and see. But even 4.7ghz would be a decent upgrade over my current 3.7ghz cpu.