Overwatch sometimes dropping to 45-50 fps with RX 580 on 1080p?

JorenBus

As the title says, my new RX580 (Nitro+ version) apparantely has some trouble running Overwatch.

My settings are a mix of epic and ultra, and it's running at 1080p. Sometimes during heavy fights, my fps drops down to 45-50 fps.

Is this normal? I would think this card can easly run the game 70+ fps everything maxed out.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

i have the same issue with my 290X, i had to turn some things to low to avoid it. 

it might be a cpu bottleneck though... what clockspeed does your cpu run at?

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i have the same issue with my 290X, i had to turn some things to low to avoid it. 

it might be a cpu bottleneck though... what clockspeed does your cpu run at?

Well the 4690k is a pretty capable CPU, so I doubt that. It runs at 4,3 GHz and sits around 70-80% usage while gaming.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

1 minute ago, JorenBus said:

Well the 4690k is a pretty capable CPU, so I doubt that. It runs at 4,3 GHz and sits around 70-80% usage while gaming.

yeah my Xeon's are definitively a bottleneck in games, because they're old.. 

try turning local fog detail to low and see if that helps. 

She/Her

You'll need to turn down some settings, there are a lot of bs settings in Overwatch that wreck your GPU for barely any visual difference.

Turn off dynamic reflections, turn way down shadow detail and turn off ambient occlusion, lower lighting a little and you should pickup 50+% higher frame rates.

Even switching everything to just "ultra" settings should help. I never noticed a difference between Epic and Ultra, but my 970 ran the game faster on ultra by about 10ish FPS. I cant recall what I'm running now, I probably have shadows turned to low but most others set to ultra graphics

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25