Hyper-V OS Help and Mini SAS Help

Snotrap

Hey!

So I bought a HP DL360 G5 for $35. I’m planning on purchasing 32GB of RAM for it so I can do some VM stuff with Hyper-V and network sharing etc etc. 

(Specs for it is in my signature) 

My question is should I purchase Windows Server 2012/2016 for Hyper-V or use a Windows 10 Pro key for Hyper-V?

AND 

With it’s Intel P400i RAID controller it didn’t come with Mini SAS cables between it and its backplane. I’m going to purchase 2 Mini SAS SFF-8087 cables for something like $13 off of eBay. The cables are 36-pin and I have no idea if these cables will work with the controller and backplane. I’m buying eBay ones because og HP ones will cost around $50 shipped. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

8 hours ago, Snotrap said:

Hey!

So I bought a HP DL360 G5 for $35. I’m planning on purchasing 32GB of RAM for it so I can do some VM stuff with Hyper-V and network sharing etc etc. 

(Specs for it is in my signature) 

My question is should I purchase Windows Server 2012/2016 for Hyper-V or use a Windows 10 Pro key for Hyper-V?

AND 

With it’s Intel P400i RAID controller it didn’t come with Mini SAS cables between it and its backplane. I’m going to purchase 2 Mini SAS SFF-8087 cables for something like $13 off of eBay. The cables are 36-pin and I have no idea if these cables will work with the controller and backplane. I’m buying eBay ones because og HP ones will cost around $50 shipped. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

SFF-8087 should be the correct cables. eBay cables should also be fine. Just test them right away.

In terms of the OS, I would either use Windows Hyper-V Server (which is Free, IIRC) - it's not the full version of Windows Server though - or I would ditch Windows as the Hypervisor completely, and use something like ESXi instead.

I use ESXi as my Hypervisor at home and it works great for me.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

SFF-8087 should be the correct cables. eBay cables should also be fine. Just test them right away.

In terms of the OS, I would either use Windows Hyper-V Server (which is Free, IIRC) - it's not the full version of Windows Server though - or I would ditch Windows as the Hypervisor completely, and use something like ESXi instead.

I use ESXi as my Hypervisor at home and it works great for me.

Thanks for the info. 

Where would I be able to obtain installation media for Windows Hyper-V Server?

I will look into ESXi too thank you. 

My Machines:

56 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

Thanks for the info. 

Where would I be able to obtain installation media for Windows Hyper-V Server?

I will look into ESXi too thank you. 

You can download Hyper-V 2016 Server from the Microsoft evaluation center. Here's a guide I found:

https://www.dtonias.com/install-hyper-v-server-2016-standalone/

Apparently it's a bit of a bitch to actually use though - so you might want to try it out, and test out several different Hypervisors.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You can download Hyper-V 2016 Server from the Microsoft evaluation center. Here's a guide I found:

https://www.dtonias.com/install-hyper-v-server-2016-standalone/

Apparently it's a bit of a bitch to actually use though - so you might want to try it out, and test out several different Hypervisors.

Thank you

My Machines:

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

HyperV is really annoying to deal with as remote server management in Windows without a domain is just....terrible. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

A word of warning for HP servers is they sound like a jet when they boot up and continue to have loud fans,I found that anything newer than Server 2008R2 will be loud. At least this was my experience with a HP Proliant ML370 G6.

21 hours ago, joishw said:

A word of warning for HP servers is they sound like a jet when they boot up and continue to have loud fans,I found that anything newer than Server 2008R2 will be loud. At least this was my experience with a HP Proliant ML370 G6.

The HP Dl360 G5 is a touch louder then my gaming pc, so not loud at all. Even when you're right next to it. It's really quite amazing.

My Machines:

7 hours ago, Snotrap said:

The HP Dl360 G5 is a touch louder then my gaming pc, so not loud at all. Even when you're right next to it. It's really quite amazing.

Just saying it might not work with hyper-v in 2012 and newer. Last time I tried it on that hardware it was missing features and won't work. Proxmox and esxi and xen should work fine. ALso these are power hogs if you plan to run it very often.