In cannonlake still going to use the same socket as coffeelake?

I read somewhere that they were planning on using the same socket type as coffeelake for cannonlake.

Is this true or just conjecture?

I can't find any solid information on this unless I missed it.

I want to know as I'm planning on upgrading my platform and it wouldn't be worth it to me if there's no upgrade path in the future. I want to get on 10 nanometer as soon as it becomes available so I'll wait if it's going to use a different socket.

Thanks.

even if they used the same socket, you will probably need a new board as they change the chipset just a tiny bit (bunch of *i***) this has sadly been a problem for a while now

Just now, karsnoordhuis said:

even if they used the same socket, you will probably need a new board as they change the chipset just a tiny bit (bunch of *i***) this has sadly been a problem for a while now

Last I heard, the 9th Gen processors will run on Z370 boards. Although that's mostly rumors and speculation at this point.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Cannonlake are mobile CPUs only so... nope...?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Last I heard, the 9th Gen processors will run on Z370 boards. Although that's mostly rumors and speculation at this point.

Yea, I figured it was all just hearsay.

I hope it's true though.

Just now, karsnoordhuis said:

@Crunchy Dragon we know intel by now...

What is there to know?

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge used LGA 1155, and ran on Z68 and Z77 boards.

Haswell and Devil's Canyon both used the LGA 1150 chipset and both ran on Z87 and Z97 boards.

Skylake and Kaby Lake both used LGA 1151 and ran on Z170 and Z270 boards.

Intel has a thing for having architectures like this be backwards-compatible, we've been seeing it for years. There's not much to indicate that Coffee Lake and 9th Gen won't be the same.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Cannonlake are mobile CPUs only so... nope...?

That's cannon lake-y. What I'm talking about are the 10nm desktop chips that were delayed again.

It's unlikely. The newer processors won't be backwards compatible even though it technically fits (see Z270), but with increased competition maybe they might allow it this time? You could also mod the BIOS to technically work with the CPUs but I don't think it's worth it.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That's cannon lake-y. What I'm talking about are the 10nm desktop chips that were delayed again.

No, there are no distinguishing, the code name for the supposedly first 10nm desktop CPUs by Intel is Ice Lake and it is not the coming 9th Gen, 9th gen is identical to coffee lake on 14nm++, these are going to be z370 compatible as it seems.

Ice Lake though is more than likely not coming to the market before 2020, thereafter you have to reevaluate what you're after.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

if you mean 14nm+++ (yes it is three plusses now and im not meme-ing) that will be launched this year then yes it will be using the same socket as the coffelake CPUs.

if you mean 10nm next year, then no. it is very unlikely 10nm intel CPUs will use the same socket as coffeelake

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

No, there are no distinguishing, the code name for the supposedly first 10nm desktop CPUs by Intel is Ice Lake and it is not the coming 9th Gen, 9th gen is identical to coffee lake on 14nm++, these are going to be z370 compatible as it seems.

Ice Lake though is more than likely not coming to the market before 2020, thereafter you have to reevaluate what you're after.

huh?

I think you're mixed up.

Literally everywhere I look is calling the future 10nm chip cannon lake:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-cannon-lake-specs-performance-release-date-2948967

5 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, I figured it was all just hearsay.

I hope it's true though.

As far as I know, MSI has already (possibly accidentally) confirmed compatibility in the notes on one of their BIOS updates.