how do you update your bios?

ycetea

so i downloaded the newest bios version to my usb stick because you need a usb flash drive right? So i went in my bios to m-flash and selected my usb drive but i told me there were no updates in the sticks key (root) folders, but i can't even see those on my usb stick so how will i ever put the new bios update on there and flash it?

Just now, karsnoordhuis said:

is it a .zip file you put on the stick? or an .iso? or something else?

i downloaded it from msi's website as an zip file yes

3 minutes ago, karsnoordhuis said:

you might want to extract it onto the drive

didn't help

Look at the link you've been given. All is there.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Just now, userzero said:

Look at the link you've been given. All is there.

yeah i can't seem to do it the m-flash way, it says i didn't find any bios updates on the stick

The guide shows you how to do it.. making it bootable and so on....

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

4 minutes ago, ycetea said:

didn't help

If you open up the file in file explorer there should be another file. right click and hit extract. Put that on your USB and you should be good to go. All of this is listed on the page give to you which I assume you didn't read since your response to @G27Racer_188 was less than a minute after he posted his reply

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 minute ago, karsnoordhuis said:

what a massive hassle all of this...

It is not a massive hassle, it is basically like any other motherboard.

1 minute ago, ycetea said:

yeah i can't seem to do it the m-flash way, it says i didn't find any bios updates on the stick

You have to extract contents of the .zip file onto the root of the USB.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Do you really need to update the bios for some reason though? Because otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

If you open up the file in file explorer there should be another file. right click and hit extract. Put that on your USB and you should be good to go. All of this is listed on the page give to you which I assume you didn't read since your response to @G27Racer_188 was less than a minute after he posted his reply

i did read it

1 minute ago, G27Racer_188 said:

It is not a massive hassle, it is basically like any other motherboard.

last time i did this on my ancient dell latitiude d630 it was just an exe 

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

Do you really need to update the bios for some reason though? Because otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

I agree. If your not familiar with BIOS flashing and are stuck on this, as long as your system runs fine you shouldn't need to update the BIOS, unless recommended by MSI

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Just now, akio123008 said:

yes my gpu doesn't work in his pc wich it does in my other one which is weird, because of this i have an ezdebug vga led lighting up, i looked it up and more poeple had this problem with msi motherboards and updating the bios mos of the times fixed it

5 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

image.png.dd3289fde3086ceded33037fa4b2a06f.png

Just now, ycetea said:

image.png.dd3289fde3086ceded33037fa4b2a06f.png

that's is what it looks like now i did extract it

7 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Just now, ycetea said:

that's is what it looks like now i did extract it

Look inside the folder!

Bow down to me humans.

Just now, limegorilla said:

Look inside the folder!

there literrally isn't a exe file at all only a textdocument and a 2h0 file

3 minutes ago, ycetea said:

there literrally isn't a exe file at all only a textdocument and a 2h0 file

Open the folder and take another screenshot

2 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Look inside the folder!

maybe i should use chrome instead of edge?

The BIOS file (which I assume is the 2h0, don't know about MSI boards) must be in the root directory of the drive. Not in any folders.

Someone mentioned exe files here. I don't recommend updating BIOS through the OS - too many things can go wrong.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

There shouldn't be. MSI don't give you an automatic updater, you have to do it manually. If they did it would be a simple exe file. I would assume the text doc tells you what to do and the 2h0 file is your BIOS update. Paste that onto the root of your USB and run through the BIOS updater again. I'll admit that MSI's updater is not the easiest but this isn't rocket science. 

Bow down to me humans.