Stupidest mistake you've made while building a pc?

SidM

forgot to plug the aio pump turn on the pc  see the temp reach 100c and freak out, insert the usb3 header and bend one pin  at 90°, touch  an spining fan ,get cut  with sharp edges from the case, etc..

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

C'mon man, everyone knows that's where the Hellman's mayo goes!

5b8d9e1039d78_x0CxbwE-Imgur.gif.a16be759a672ebc6d23c74d6482dc785.gif

Video is faked! Proof? ASRock Gigabyte would never use that many caps! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Not building in a drain port for my loop.

Its a right bitch to drain, thankfull its soft tubed so that helps.

I sure wont be making that mistake again lol.

X2

30 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Video is faked! Proof? ASRock would never use that many caps! 

boi Ultra Durable is Gigabyte

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

boi Ultra Durable is Gigabyte

Whoops... 

Fixed. Ultra Durable only applies to the heatsinks.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Oh wow, what did he say?!

At one point:

"You warranty your work, right?"

"Yes. Yes I do."

Part of the problem was trying to talk through what I was doing and why I picked the parts, general questions about the components and stuff. He was really cool about it, but I don't think I'd build in front of a client again. I made too many mistakes/went too quickly because I was nervous.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

New case for new build. "Misplaced riser screws". Drove from local computer shop to computer shop to find one who did have tonnes of screws but needed to have one as example so that I am not bending my board. Found one and...didn't go back to the shop. Reread case manual and realized it was one that didn't need risers. Also same thing as GundamMC... Also spent way too long searching for second MSi m.2 shield only to realized  it came with just one (I gave up searching online for a 2nd one).

My friend forgot to put on the stand offs on my first build and I didn't really care cause he had more experience at the time (almost fried my mobo but I rebuilt the system after it didn't boot and it works fine now :D)

I bought an AIO watercooler and when i was about to install it i saw the "remove this sticker". I took a break from installing it to go and eat. When I can back I installed the AIO with the sticker. 1 month later I checked my temps and they were in the 50s for an AIO. I proceeded to uninstall the AIO and there it was the sticker.

Brain seemingly died for a second when putting the CPU in its socket, put the CPU sideway into the pins.

RIP motherboard.

To this day I still have no clue what the hell happened or why I did that, I just did.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On my first build, I thought I needed a higher wattage psu so I bought the best one at best buy. Turns out I just messed up some connections so I wasted $100(too embarrassed to return it).

Rubbing my finger prints all over the cpu.

You can play Halo, Zelda - Breath of the wild and Horizon Zero Down on consoles but on PC's, we can play exclusives on coolmath-games.com!! 

#PCMasterRace

18 hours ago, SidM said:

Hey, I just wanted to ask you guys as to what your stupidest mistakes while pc building are. My stupidest mistake was the time when I was filling my loop and forgot to plug off the extra openings on my GPU water block, it resulted in water spilling everywhere.xD

Carpet and wool socks. Not going to say any more.

Forgot to plug the CPU fan cable to the motherboard (CPU_FAN), it happened not long ago.

I was wondering why the temperature was over the top, didn't turn on the PC for like 6 hours just to think why.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Did not plug in the 4 pin power connector for the CPU to the mobo

Spent 2 hours trying to get the PC to post. Considered RMAing the mobo as I thought it was faulty

2 hours ago, razaldo said:

Did not plug in the 4 pin power connector for the CPU to the mobo

Spent 2 hours trying to get the PC to post. Considered RMAing the mobo as I thought it was faulty

I plugged an extra 6 pin into my first mobo

There's already a thread with 7500 replies about this :P 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I bought memory that exceeded the CPU recommended maximum voltage and it took me way too long to figure out why I couldn't OC it without the system crashing.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I have a couple. Not realising that the reset switch on my case was wired to the middle of the front panel and pulling it clean off when I popped off the front panel to swap a case fan.

And not taking the plastic off the bottom of the CPU heat sink before putting it on. Fortunately I did realise this before I turned on the PC.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

16 hours ago, jpenguin said:

I plugged an extra 6 pin into my first mobo

Hope that did not damage the mobo

On 9/3/2018 at 11:34 PM, SidM said:

Hey, I just wanted to ask you guys as to what your stupidest mistakes while pc building are. My stupidest mistake was the time when I was filling my loop and forgot to plug off the extra openings on my GPU water block, it resulted in water spilling everywhere.xD

Breaking my 80$ ram stick by accident