Stupid question about SSH:

TL;DR: SSHing to Server, running a program on Server (command issued from laptop), can I turn the laptop off and have the server continue downloading and installing my chosen programs as I sleep? (The process takes an average of 4 to 6 hours and I need to sleep soon)

So I'm using username@WindowsLaptop to SSH into root@Raspbian through a BASH terminal. I'm running BASH using CMD in Windows.

Since I had no monitor available for the Raspberry Pi, I decided the best course of action was to straight SSH into the device without any tags and start the download then and there.

It's still doing its thing on my laptops terminal, but I now wish to go to sleep and don't want my laptop to be on all night. How can I turn my laptop off without interrupting any processes that my Sever is committed to? Will closing my terminal / SSH session effect the processes on my server?

Thanks guys <3

P.S.

Considered posting in Troubleshooting but it seemed more appropriate here. Apologies if I put it in the wrong one.

Edited by Gealach
Phrasing

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

use tmux, it lets you do this and just makes the nerminal better

Personally, I prefer 'screen'

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Personally, I prefer 'screen'

backing screen. i like screen. all my game servers (at least the ones that run on linux..) run in a screen session.

its simple to get going, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

you can disown a process and have it run in the background.  That should guarantee that it stays running after you logout.

nohup <insert command here> &;
disown;