Help With Connecting Front IO Cables To Motherboard

I'm currently building a PC for the first time with a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 and I'm having trouble connecting the front panel IO cables to the motherboard. I connected the USB 3.0 cable but I'm having trouble with the others. I made sure I was plugging the USB 2.0 wire into the right port, I made sure it was the right way and I put a good amount of force but it didn't want to go in. I didn't want to push harder because the pins would probably break. The same happened with the HD audio port. I have no clue which way to plug the HDD led, power leds and power switch cables. I searched for YouTube videos but the port on my motherboard for the 1 and 2 pin connectors is longer than the ones shown in the videos. The motherboard manual isn't very helpful either. If you could help me with this it would be much appreciated

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

5 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

-snip- The same happened with the HD audio port. I have no clue which way to plug the HDD led, power leds and power switch cables. I searched for YouTube videos but the port on my motherboard for the 1 and 2 pin connectors is longer than the ones shown in the videos. The motherboard manual isn't very helpful either. If you could help me with this it would be much appreciated

What case do you have? If you can provide that I'll figure it out for you

*edit*

I believe you didn't actually check your motherboard's manual, as in the Manual PDF I found a very clear diagram of the pin outs for the motherboard's front IO connectors on page - 17 -. 

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

For aid on where to plug in the front panel connectors go to page 17 of your manual 

The USB and HD audio ports are keyed, double check that you have each of them the right way round 

P.s. If you're motherboard did come with a copy of the manual just Google the model and download the pdf "user manual" from the support tab of the manufacturers website 

Here is PDF I found, on page 17 there is clear diagram for front panel connectors

mb_manual_z370-aorus-gaming-3_e.pdf

If you cannot plug in USB and HD Audio, you probably have cables upside down. Try turning them 180 and plug.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

7 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Here is PDF I found, on page 17 there is clear diagram for front panel connectors

22 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

What case do you have? If you can provide that I'll figure it out for you

*edit*

I believe you didn't actually check your motherboard's manual, as in the Manual PDF I found a very clear diagram of the pin outs for the motherboard's front IO connectors on page - 17 -. 

I have an S340 elite.

8 minutes ago, Peter041098 said:

For aid on where to plug in the front panel connectors go to page 17 of your manual 

@PopsicleHustler 

@EnergyEclipse

@PopsicleHustler

Thanks for locating that but the diagram doesn't show me which way to connect the wires. I'm scared I'm going to connect them the wrong way and break the pins. Also, it says power led + and - goes on the top and the bottom, which row do I put in in?

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

4 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

I have an S340 elite.

@PopsicleHustler 

@EnergyEclipse

@PopsicleHustler

Thanks for locating that but the diagram doesn't show me which way to connect the wires. I'm scared I'm going to connect them the wrong way and break the pins. Also, it says power led + and - goes on the top and the bottom, which row do I put in in?

Polarity doesn't matter for the switches and if you reverse it for the LEDs they just don't work, no damage done.

1 minute ago, AidenBear said:

I have an S340 elite.

@PopsicleHustler @Peter041098

13 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

I have an S340 elite.

@PopsicleHustler @Peter041098

As stated above, you don't have to worry which way to plug Power and Reset switches because all they do is close the circuit. As for LEDs, you better look at your case wires and figure which is + and -, might aswell make a picture and show us, maybe we can figure it out. 

Untitled.png

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

4 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

As stated above, you don't have to worry which way to plug Power and Reset switches because all they do is close the circuit. As for LEDs, you better look at your case wires and figure which is + and -, might aswell make a picture and show us, maybe we can figure it out. 

Untitled.png

Thanks a lot for the diagram. I connected the power switch, now I just need to figure out which way to plug in the other three. I don't know if these pictures help but here they are.

IMG_3900.thumb.PNG.5b2993fe0d08df21fe6467b55e12149d.PNGIMG_3901.thumb.PNG.3f046ebaea4a5fc20cf42b6e9da8d520.PNG

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

16 hours ago, AidenBear said:

Thanks a lot for the diagram. I connected the power switch, now I just need to figure out which way to plug in the other three. I don't know if these pictures help but here they are.

Positive at the left and negative at the right. The diagram above shows the pins for the hdd and pwr led pins. I usually just leave those unplugged though since the leds are usually annoying. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker

@PopsicleHustler

@johnny5c

@Peter041098

Thanks everyone that helped, I got my PC up and running and it's working great.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor