SSD 99% full

homeap5

I have that question for those who knows how it really works in case of SSD drives.

I know that leaving about 20% of free space is recommended for every day usage of SSD (like system drive) because otherwise garbage collection or other similar mechanism like that works bad and lifespan of drive can be significcaly reduced.

But my question is - what if I have second SSD and want to write on it lot of data that will be only write once and then only read without any modifications for long time?

It will affect the performance a bit but it shouldnt really be an issue.

I had my C: SSD 100% full at one point and system was still working just fine, I was just getting a lot of Windows warning messages of a full drive.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

It will affect the performance a bit but it shouldnt really be an issue.

I had my C: SSD 100% full at one point and system was still working just fine, I was just getting a lot of Windows warning messages of a full drive.

That I understand, but it affect write performance I guess, not read performance.

I'm talking about lifespan of drive that is for read only.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

That I understand, but it affect write performance I guess, not read performance.

I'm talking about lifespan of drive that is for read only.

It should not affect the NAND life span at all if it will be read only.

Should work fine. Just remember you dont page file to the drive that is almost full. That will tear through its lifespan

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Should work fine. Just remember you dont page file to the drive that is almost full. That will tear through its lifespan

ideally you should have enough RAM that you can simply disable the pagefile completely.

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

ideally you should have enough RAM that you can simply disable the pagefile completely.

Ideally, yes. But a couple of chrome fans later and pagefiling begins.

I understand how Windows works etc. I'm only interested with how SSD works, I can control what is written to it.

And about pagefile and big amount of ram - it's always looong discussion that you can find on many forums. Someone says is not needed, others says it can speed up even with big amount of ram etc. Personally I'm not a big fan of disabling pagefile - it can be used for various programs that can store some data in pagefile, even if you have lot of ram - some applications may use it for store less used data when task is not active or other process really need ram.

Imagine that you have lot of programs open and have lot of ram. Then without pagefile one of programs, that normally can free memory if needed by swap some data to pagefile, uses ram all the time. Windows cannot dynamically allocate more ram by release ram from less important tasks using pagefile. So instead of 16GB free ram for use, your memory-hungry application can allocate only 2GB ram that is left. Not so nice situation, isn't?

And there are applications (like video editing software) that can eats all your memory, no matter how much you put into your computer. :)