Hi there,

I just started to read and watch youtubes regarding on how to setup NAS.

I am really interested in setting up one.

Maybe thinking of 4TBx2 and for backups plus media server.

I realised Ryzen is not a good choice?

The issues are, most of the server stuffs is really hard to find here in Australia. 

e.g. GA-7TESM gigabyte motherboard.

Can any of you guys please give me a suggestion on the parts that I can buy here in Australia for a good NAS build?

Thanks!

The 7TESM is not suitable for a NAS. It's a bloody dual socket server board. You don't need server parts for your use case. A current gen i3 + 8GB of RAM and a H310 board is all you really need. Or a 2200G/B450 setup. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The 7TESM is not suitable for a NAS. It's a bloody dual socket server board. You don't need server parts for your use case. A current gen i3 + 8GB of RAM and a H310 board is all you really need. Or a 2200G/B450 setup. 

Oh.. Thank you. I will see to that.

1 minute ago, Noctis.Prompto said:

Oh.. Thank you. I will see to that.

With the current iGPUs in Intel's coffee lake CPUs you can transcode 4K footage no problem, and dumb storage isn't taxing on anything but the drives. Plus modern stuff is more efficient, which saves you money :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

With the current iGPUs in Intel's coffee lake CPUs you can transcode 4K footage no problem, and dumb storage isn't taxing on anything but the drives. Plus modern stuff is more efficient, which saves you money :) 

Would you say 2200G is superior than an i3 setup though? Any RAM should be okay? without the ECC? 

3 minutes ago, Noctis.Prompto said:

Would you say 2200G is superior than an i3 setup though? Any RAM should be okay? without the ECC? 

ECC doesn't matter when at least one endpoint copying data to the NAS doesn't have ECC. I wouldn't say the 2200G is superior in this use case, no. The support for the Intel chip is likely better for transcoding in Plex than for the AMD APU. That said, the i3 supports ECC unbuffered memory, so it's an option if you want.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

ECC doesn't matter when at least one endpoint copying data to the NAS doesn't have ECC. I wouldn't say the 2200G is superior in this use case, no. The support for the Intel chip is likely better for transcoding in Plex than for the AMD APU. That said, the i3 supports ECC unbuffered memory, so it's an option if you want.

Thank you! I think I have decided now with the i3 setup!

This will be my build:

CPU: Intel Core i3 8100

Mobo: Gigabyte H310M S2P LGA 1151-2 Micro ATX Motherboard 

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Memory

HDD: 4TB x2 WD Red, Do I need SSD?

PSU:EVGA 430 W1 430W 80+ White Power Supply

Case

Is there any incompatibility with that?

And do I need SSD?