ssd migration

d00m1ord
Go to solution Solved by porina,

Often cloning software will give the option of resizing up to the new capacity. Windows disk management is worth a look as that can do resizes, but it does depend on the disk layout. Free 3rd party partition resizing tools might have more luck if not, but I haven't used those in a long time.

I just got a new 500gb SSD to replace my 120gb SSD that has my OS on how do I go about copying the data over I tried cloning it but that leaves a portion of the new drive unused so I don't know how else to do it

thanks in advance

I may be wrong, but after cloning to new SSD wont the remaining space just be unallocated space that can be formatted?

Often cloning software will give the option of resizing up to the new capacity. Windows disk management is worth a look as that can do resizes, but it does depend on the disk layout. Free 3rd party partition resizing tools might have more luck if not, but I haven't used those in a long time.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

yes it is but if I extend the created volume to include the spare space it converts the disk to a dynamic disk which I then cant boot from

Just now, d00m1ord said:

yes it is but if I extend the created volume to include the spare space it converts the disk to a dynamic disk which I then cant boot from

If you want a free 3rd party tool to try, try using Macroit Disk Partitioner. I've used it many times before and recently and it works and is free.

1 minute ago, The_Tron said:

If you want a free 3rd party tool to try, try using Macroit Disk Partitioner. I've used it many times before and recently and it works and is free.

thanks ill give it a try

Presumably the way things are organised means Windows can't do a simple extend and has to use dynamic to extend it. 3rd party tools can let you more manually move things around and expand them. In the past I've used gparted.

I assume you still have the original drive effectively as a backup, just in case anything goes wrong? Tinkering with a disk in this way should be considered a higher risk activity. Ensure you have backups of important stuff before you go ahead.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Presumably the way things are organised means Windows can't do a simple extend and has to use dynamic to extend it. 3rd party tools can let you more manually move things around and expand them. In the past I've used gparted.

I assume you still have the original drive effectively as a backup, just in case anything goes wrong? Tinkering with a disk in this way should be considered a higher risk activity. Ensure you have backups of important stuff before you go ahead.

yes I have still got the original drive and I think I found a way to do It in the software I have I am trying it now so ill let you know if it did work

its worked I didn't select a setting when I did it the first time but it has now copied everything and kept the spare space as well thanks for the help guys