Hi,

I'm currently using a Roccat Khan AIMO and lemme tell you... The audio is as good as I can find for the price I paid with such specs (got it for 90€). But my problem is this rad RGB baby doesn't fare well with VoIP software.

Now I only have this headset, and I need to be able to use VoIP effectively for personal and professional reasons.

Still, being used to that sweet, sweet surround sound while gaming, I can't put myself to go back to stereo.

So I'm looking for recommendations on that one, because the Khan AIMO, despite its good looks (and sound) seems to be unable to give me the much-needed VoIP audio when I alt-tab.

You can get yourself a modmic and just attach it to those headphones.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

You can get yourself a modmic and just attach it to those headphones.

Well when it bugs, it is more tied to the software (no audio in and out of a certain program) than anything.

The whole headsets "disconnects" itself from, say, Discord.

could get surround USB headphones that have no such problem and pair them with a mic tho, so you've made a point on that :)

21 minutes ago, SaintJesus3000 said:

Well when it bugs, it is more tied to the software (no audio in and out of a certain program) than anything.

The whole headsets "disconnects" itself from, say, Discord.

could get surround USB headphones that have no such problem and pair them with a mic tho, so you've made a point on that :)

Ohh that clears it up. I thought you were only having voice problems.

The Sennheiser game one has amazing sound quality and probably the best mic short of dedicated microphones. 

Still sounds weird that it dc's when you alt tab tho. Seems like it shouldn't do that. There could be a software fix or something.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

14 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Still sounds weird that it dc's when you alt tab tho. Seems like it shouldn't do that. There could be a software fix or something.

It's tied to Roccat Swarm, and I tried reinstalling the driver & software... To no avail.

It only happens on VoIP software tho, which is weird af. So yeah my best guess is it's a software problem, but even selecting specifically this device in the VoIP software won't fix it.

It happens regularly, and is crippling when I receive professional calls

Interesting, tho this is hardly gaming material: we're wandering into audiophile territory!

The issue with that is it's not portable, so if I'm not home I have no mic :/

For stereo headphones with a separate mic I'd go for a cheaper alternative (although you made me want to buy it (I read a few reviews))...

That microphone is crazy cheap!

8 minutes ago, SaintJesus3000 said:

Interesting, tho this is hardly gaming material: we're wandering into audiophile territory!

The issue with that is it's not portable, so if I'm not home I have no mic :/

For stereo headphones with a separate mic I'd go for a cheaper alternative (although you made me want to buy it (I read a few reviews))...

That microphone is crazy cheap!

If you care about audio quality at all or like getting your money's worth in build quality it's worth getting a better separate headset and mic. You might pay a wee bit more now but you'll get much better sound and it'll last longer.

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

If you care about audio quality at all or like getting your money's worth in build quality it's worth getting a better separate headset and mic. You might pay a wee bit more now but you'll get much better sound and it'll last longer.

My issue is I want 5.1 or 7.1 to know where other players are coming from (and have better sensations overall when gaming), so it's only possible via USB because I want a portable solution (I also have a laptop) that doesn't require a system upgrade.

The microphone ItsTheDuckAgain recommended is also cool if I can find a small stand for it. The headphones, damn I want them but then I'd have to get another headset for the surround, which is more important to me right now.

I don't consider myself as an audiophile, tbh the audio quality I have with my Khan AIMO is good enough for me. My main issue is finding something that will fare well with VoIP and has surround, but there are so many products I'm kinda lost.

9 minutes ago, SaintJesus3000 said:

My issue is I want 5.1 or 7.1 to know where other players are coming from (and have better sensations overall when gaming), so it's only possible via USB because I want a portable solution (I also have a laptop) that doesn't require a system upgrade.

The microphone ItsTheDuckAgain recommended is also cool if I can find a small stand for it. The headphones, damn I want them but then I'd have to get another headset for the surround, which is more important to me right now.

I don't consider myself as an audiophile, tbh the audio quality I have with my Khan AIMO is good enough for me. My main issue is finding something that will fare well with VoIP and has surround, but there are so many products I'm kinda lost.

5.1 and 7.1 don't exist for headphones. When it is actual 7.1 it just sounds trash and is no better than 2 good drivers. Most "gaming" headphones with "7.1" are using marketing BS to try and sell the product. Stereo surround works better than 7.1 and sounds loads better (FOR HEADPHONES). You don't need the whole 7.1 surround thing because it's just a gimmick and very often location accuracy suffers for it

That's an F in the profile pic

Well, now I've learned something.

So I'm going for the Custom One. I already have a (shitty) microphone that'll do ok for VoIP calls (the main goal is to get my voice heard so anything goes) so I'll get a new mic later :)
Thank you all for your advice!