SSD not visible in DiskPart etc. but visible in Crucial Tool/Device Manager

Go to solution Solved by TechyBen,

IIRC it may be in a "locked" setting. If possible, turn off pc. Unplug that drive from sata, but leave on power connector. Turn on PC, wait 30 mins. Turn off pc, reconnect sata and try again.

I've been having some trouble with my usb caddy and 2 samsung ssds. They use to work in the caddy, but suddenly only work on sata. :(

PS, also IIRC this happens when Windows wishes to mount *by writing a file to the drive* but because it is in a locked/read only mode, windows cannot do this.

As the bios/some software and *Linux* allows mounting without writing to the drive, they can see and use it perfectly.

If you need to recover data, try booting to a Linux OS/recovery usb and copying off the drive that way.

Hello community,

I currently have a strange problem with one of my SSDs.

I have 4 SSDs and one external HDD installed.

Suddenly one of my SSDs isn't visible anymore for Windows (File Explorer, DiskPart, Disk Management, WMI WIN32_Diskdrive). Strangely enough the missing SSD is visible in the Crucial Tool, BIOS and Device Manager.

What should I do to fix this?

WMI Win32_DiskDrive

image.png.e0aa4876088a71575df97c6ee1ae2c8c.png

Diskpart

image.png.11434c10fbe903272e052908a97991a9.png

Disk Management

image.png.b32df04a8e13aadbfb2dea6372cdcd8f.png

And now the Crucial Tool (External HDD not included)

image.thumb.png.c1996f1a3fcb1244acb299497162ad98.png

Device Manager

image.png.8d69718e53c59da40e61403f2a74db6c.png

Thanks for your help!

I know this is super basic: Restart the PC maybe? Or have you done that already?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

I know this is super basic: Restart the PC maybe? Or have you done that already?

I did this already. I also disconnected each drive and booted windows only with the C:\ drive and one other drive.

Ok. Do all the drives show up in the BIOS?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

Ok. Do all the drives show up in the BIOS?

Yes and even in the Windows Device Manager and the Crucial Tool. But I can't format/create a volume on the drive because DiskPart etc. won't recognize the drive

3 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

Yes and even in the Windows Device Manager and the Crucial Tool. But I can't format/create a volume on the drive because DiskPart etc. won't recognize the drive

Ok. If you have an extra PC or a hard drive dock you can try taking a look at the drive there :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Try and remove and uninstall driver from device manager and reboot to force it to reinstall the drivers. It's a bit weird. It seems to me like the drive is dying or about to die when you start seeing things like this. Is it the 840 evo yeah?

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

IIRC it may be in a "locked" setting. If possible, turn off pc. Unplug that drive from sata, but leave on power connector. Turn on PC, wait 30 mins. Turn off pc, reconnect sata and try again.

I've been having some trouble with my usb caddy and 2 samsung ssds. They use to work in the caddy, but suddenly only work on sata. :(

PS, also IIRC this happens when Windows wishes to mount *by writing a file to the drive* but because it is in a locked/read only mode, windows cannot do this.

As the bios/some software and *Linux* allows mounting without writing to the drive, they can see and use it perfectly.

If you need to recover data, try booting to a Linux OS/recovery usb and copying off the drive that way.

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Know how it got in the "locked" setting? Seems like something I should know about. :) Always hungry for knowledge :D 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have only seen it officially mentioned on old Crucial drives. But I think it may happen in other instances/brands.

It might happen if the drive gets an inproper power down... I cannot find any specifics on Samsung and other brands. I think the drive waits for a successful boot to re-enable (as said, my drives won't access in a caddy, but power fine inside a PC/laptop... so the power on state/startup seems to affect them).

If the drive is failing, it may prevent writes (so need Linux to mount and file recover). But it should have come up on SMART/Samsung magician if it was failing.

The missing drive Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 is now back.

Easy fix: Restore default BIOS settings. I don't know why it fixed it but now my drive is back.

image.png.4623d79c874b3cce66c62792d0010b96.png

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Great! I might try the same with my USB caddy. :(

So you have the same issue?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@TechyBen I marked your answer as the solution because I think you are right. Maybe because of the BIOS reset the drives will be unlocked?