Vic 20 restoration

Hi I found a cheap vic 20 online for 34.99 bucks used and I consider that a bargain,

I was already aware that it would not turn on but I tried to fix it so basically this is the cpu

5b84bed693b5f_ScreenShot2018-08-27at11_16_51PM.png.f6d07be90f4a84803fb76f1270a73525.png

and this is the ram module

5b84bee6d44a0_ScreenShot2018-08-27at11_17_09PM.png.f1853159870af2fc7f120b81f0ce8f95.png

and I have already checked out all the other componuts besides these

so what I want to do is check the address and data lines between the cpu and ram to see if theres any break. So assuming I would start with data line zero

5b84bf6700384_ScreenShot2018-08-27at11_19_48PM.png.a7e356b68dcfb146eb0fcfe96dc17bfd.pngnd 

and I look for current correct? Well i found out its all working in proper order so then

I decided to move on to the logic probe, I was able to narrow it down to the three bus transceivers, the hex inverter and the 555 timer.

I tested the 555 timer worked fine,  next I moved on too the hex inverter basically how it works is that there is 6 little inverters on this chip so just to make this easier to understand I am just going to look at one of the inverters which is pin 1 and 2, and basically whatever signal goes into pin 1 will be the opposite on pin 2, so if its high it gets turned too low or vice versa, I removed the cpu and video chip too make sure there is no activity on the board so when I check the pin 1 and 2 and there counterparts its not correct because pin 1 is low then pin 2 is low and that is not correct, that specific chip is the only chip on the board that is soldered on the board, do I just replace the board or can it be fixed?

@Energycore

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

On 28/08/2018 at 4:32 AM, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

- Snip -

I'm no expert, but i think as long as you can find that exact IC or a completely pin-compatible, function-compatible replacement, you should be able to swap it out without issue (as long as you're careful and know what you're doing :))

I'm sure that there are more experts on here that will be able to give a more accurate insight though...

Just to check as well, you were feeding the required operational power into the chip when you tested weren't you? If the chip wasn't getting power for it's own internal control circuitry, then I don't think that the inversion would work.

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers