Moving on from a 6600k, and need some quick input for my possible upgrade path

Should I wait for AMD 7nm or purchase a 2700x on Black Friday? I will be using this CPU for gaming, streaming, Solid Modeling, and FEA/Flow Analysis (ANSYS/Solidworks/Autodesk)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should I wait for AMD 7nm or purchase a 2700x on Black Friday? I will be using this CPU for gaming, streaming, Solid Modeling, and FEA/Flow Analysis (ANSYS/Solidworks/Autodesk)

• Yes
    • No
    • Make decision closer to Black Friday
  2. 2. CPU Cooler: Which should I choose for the 2700x? (These are all roughly the same price, though I've seen the list and know the first two are "better", my concern is their weight and customer support as well)

• Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
    • Thermalright Macho Rev. B
    • Cryorig H5 Universal
  3. 3. CPU Cooler 2: Should I be concerened with the additional weight the Scythe Mugen 5 and Thermalight Macho put onto my AM4 bracket? MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

• Yes
    • No

For quick context, this is my current build that I plan on building anew since my i5 really cannot keep up with my ANSYS simulations, gaming, and streaming. I have it currently overclocked stable at 4.4 GHz and looking to increase my cores and clocks. I have a slight preference to the AMD side since I think they would provide the greatest gain to my needs however open to suggestions. 

A quick note before clicking my planned AMD build, I do plan on passing down my current to my girlfriend and downsizing the case, so the new case won't be used nor the PSU. 

I have created a really quick intel build for a possible Intel build instead however again, looking for input on the poll so I can finally decide on a cooler, and any additional input. 

Thanks for all your help!

Just to let you know the whole "yes" "no" vote int he first question should be a "7nm" or "2700X"

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Sounds like you'd really benefit from the extra multithreaded performance with Ryzen, so I think you're looking in the right direction. Whether you can soldier on with the 6600K until the next Ryzen series arrives is hard for me to say, but if you can wait a few months for Black Friday maybe that also means you can wait several months more? Up to you though.

Going by the test results in this review, the Thermalright Macho performs a little bit better than the Cryorig H5. Couldn't find a review that compares the Scythe Mugen 5 directly to either of the others, but from what I can tell it seems to run very quiet but perhaps not cool quite as well.

All three of the coolers should be suitable for a 2700X though.

The Scythe Mugen 5 is undoubtedly the best cooler amongst the 3.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

how should an or question be answered with yes or no?

anyways get the 2700x and just use the stock cooler which is good enough unless you want to OC or you are a silence pc dude.

7 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

Just to let you know the whole "yes" "no" vote int he first question should be a "7nm" or "2700X"

I have fixed it, thanks for the heads up. l've watched LinusTechTips for a long time, however never signed up for the forums, always lurked. 

I switched it back due to people voting and didn't want to change the choices post vote. 

why dont you just move up to an i7 or broadwell e?  going from 4 cores to 10 is going to be a massive improvement without replacing the entire system.  I use a 6850k and its a beast for my number crunching.   If nothing else, pick one up for 350 bucks and give a shot.  at a minimum you can sell your current system for more with that cpu in it.  you can even get a 6900k for 700

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Sounds like you'd really benefit from the extra multithreaded performance with Ryzen, so I think you're looking in the right direction. Whether you can soldier on with the 6600K until the next Ryzen series arrives is hard for me to say, but if you can wait a few months for Black Friday maybe that also means you can wait several months more? Up to you though.

Going by the test results in this review, the Thermalright Macho performs a little bit better than the Cryorig H5. Couldn't find a review that compares the Scythe Mugen 5 directly to either of the others, but from what I can tell it seems to run very quiet but perhaps not cool quite as well.

All three of the coolers should be suitable for a 2700X though.

Thank you for the input. I haven't found much comparison between them all or even two so I appreciate the effort. I've been trying to simply watch Youtube and read articles on them individually and gauge people's responses and results.

I theoretically could wait longer for the 7 nm past Black Friday however until more news comes out, meaning if no more leaks or additional information gets released, I will likely be purchasing the 2700x. I simply don't want what happened to me with the 6600k again, where I purchase it and literally 1.5 years later the 8th gen Intel and Ryzen start battling leaving older CPU's like that behind.

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

why dont you just move up to an i7 or broadwell e?  going from 4 cores to 10 is going to be a massive improvement without replacing the entire system.  I use a 6850k and its a beast for my number crunching.   If nothing else, pick one up for 350 bucks and give a shot.  at a minimum you can sell your current system for more with that cpu in it.  you can even get a 6900k for 700

The movement to an i7 on the 6th or 7th gen seems like a small improvement in therms of upgrade. While the i7 does brin more cores into the system, I am "upgrading" since I am passing this build down to my girlfriend. I can't take watching her play Minecraft at 7fps at the lowest setting. The grass is freaking a solid green color at when you look 10 blocks away. 

9 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

The Scythe Mugen 5 is undoubtedly the best cooler amongst the 3.

Do you have any experience or feed back in terms of customer support in the US for Scythe?

4 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

Fyi you can get a 16 core 32 thread for 700.....

OP the short answer is; can you wait, then wait. If you cant then dont. You can allways upgrade later on

i would get a x470 motherboard with a 2700X, as the VRMs will be better to handle the 105 watt TDP and if you overclock, you can overclock more.

also which h5? ultimate or universal because universal is a lot worse than the ultimate.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

i would get a x470 motherboard with a 2700X, as the VRMs will be better to handle the 105 watt TDP and if you overclock, you can overclock more.

also which h5? ultimate or universal because universal is a lot worse than the ultimate.

Apologies for not including the H5 type, it would by the H5 Universal. 

I have also edited the vote choices.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, GoldenLag said:

Fyi you can get a 16 core 32 thread for 700.....

OP the short answer is; can you wait, then wait. If you cant then dont. You can allways upgrade later on

No you can't. Because its 700 plus the rest of the system to go with it

7 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

No you can't. Because its 700 plus the rest of the system to go with it

Srry, it was on deal last time i checked. Its now 716$. The point still stands. Why get something old thta will br expencive when you can get something new

On 8/29/2018 at 12:19 AM, GoldenLag said:

Srry, it was on deal last time i checked. Its now 716$. The point still stands. Why get something old thta will br expencive when you can get something new

so you dont have to build a completely new PC... improvement per dollar is better with new CPU.. but if hes going to build a new system anyway then sure, get thread ripper.