Windows defender keeps blocking app use.

Supportsneedlove

Hi, for a while now Windows Defender has blocked me from moving stuff, using my VPN, and saving files to my PC. I can not for the life of me figure out how to turn it off.

Please help?

i think if you install another antivirus it will disable windows defender

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

i think if you install another antivirus it will disable windows defender

I did, didn't work though

Get a better antivirus.
Windows 10 Defender is so annoying with all the false-positives that it becomes useless.

Just saying.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

11 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Get a better antivirus.
Windows 10 Defender is so annoying with all the false-positives that it becomes useless.

Just saying.

True that. Windows Defender wrecked a bunch of executables on my primary Windows Software share on my NAS. Some of them were archived and hard to find, so thanks Micropenis...

My back-up routine has been improved since then ahaha.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Windows Defender has a feature to block ransomeware apps from touching your personal files. As it is impossible to reliably detect ransomware, the system is simple. Block all apps that is not in the "Allowed" list. By default, this feature is disabled. But you probably enabled it.

So you can either configure to add the software you want to have permission to write on your personal folders, or you can disable the feature.

To do either, just double click on "Windows Defender" icon on the notification tray (next to the clock), then pick "Virus & thread protection" on the side column, then on "Managed ransomware protection" (all the way at the bottom), and from there you can add a program to the exception list, or turn it off. You may need to restart your PC or restart currently running programs to allow it to take effect, if the changes don't work right away.