Data recovery from external HDD

To put a long story short, I deleted a large amount of files from my external hard drive when I was sorting my files and removing old/unnecessary files. After looking through some data recovery programs it seems I can recover most if not all of the files. What I'm wondering is does it matter how long I wait before I actually recover files. Its been about a week, if I continue to wait will it affect recovery? I'm guessing that it wont affect it as long as I don't use the hard drive and write over any of the deleted files, but would like some more expert advice regarding this topic.

Currently I am waiting to get a hard drive for my laptop that is at least 1tb to fit the deleted files as I only currently have a 256gb SSD. It also will take about 1-2 days just to recover the files, so that is also an issue currently as my house is quite busy so I wont be able to really do the full recovery yet.

If the drive is used then the longer you wait the less chance you will have to recover the file. Temp files like cache can effect the recovery process

I have not and do not plan to use the drive until I'm able to recover it, will not using it and waiting have an effect then?