Old PSU for new build?

Ruo94
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
1 minute ago, Ruo94 said:

Is it just not safe to use an older PSU? I'm not really doing a budget build, so I don't mind replacing it. But if it's usable and reliable, I'll keep using it :P

What would the warranty do?

It's typically less safe than using a brand-new one, yes :P In the same way most brand-new cars with 0 miles on them are more likely to get you home than a 10-year old car with 200K miles.

I believe that the 850W and 750W versions of that M12 were independently-regulated, rather than group-regulated, meaning that the unit isn't completely garbage by today's standards, however the warranty ensures that if the PSU breaks that you're sent a new one. Once a PSU is out of warranty it becomes more of a liability. 

I've been using this Antec HCG 750 for almost 5 years. I wanna upgrade my computer in the upcoming months, and I was wondering if i need to upgrade my PSU too.
Current build:
CPU: i7-4770k

Mobo: Asus A97-A

GPU: GTX1060 6gb *

Memory: 12gb DDR3

Upgrade:
CPU: Ryzen 2700x

Mobo: not sure yet

GPU: GTX1060 6gb (unchanged. I just upgraded it last year)

Memory: 16gb DDR4. 3000mHZ

I do a lot of 3d rendering and game a bit too.

I would say this is ok but I would get the base 2700. Also check local craigslist. You could save a ton. I got my 7700k mobo and ram for 350. The extra cores from ryzen will be useful for rendering. Old xeons could also be an option. I have a friend who got a 10 core xeon after a local place upgraded servers.

8 hours ago, Ruo94 said:

I've been using this Antec HCG 750 for almost 5 years. I wanna upgrade my computer in the upcoming months, and I was wondering if i need to upgrade my PSU too.
Current build:

Upgrade:

I'd still save on a new, more modern unit.

The HCG-750 seems OK IIRC but its not something I'd recommend to use.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

It's an M12 750W with some tweaks. Make of that what you will.

10 hours ago, Ruo94 said:

Current build:

Upgrade:

Is the unit still under warranty? If not, then get a more modern unit. A Corsair TX550M would do nicely.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Is it just not safe to use an older PSU? I'm not really doing a budget build, so I don't mind replacing it. But if it's usable and reliable, I'll keep using it :P

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Is the unit still under warranty? If not, then get a more modern unit. A Corsair TX550M would do nicely.

1 minute ago, Ruo94 said:

It's typically less safe than using a brand-new one, yes :P In the same way most brand-new cars with 0 miles on them are more likely to get you home than a 10-year old car with 200K miles.

I believe that the 850W and 750W versions of that M12 were independently-regulated, rather than group-regulated, meaning that the unit isn't completely garbage by today's standards, however the warranty ensures that if the PSU breaks that you're sent a new one. Once a PSU is out of warranty it becomes more of a liability. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's an M12 750W with some tweaks. Make of that what you will.

Well, no only the HCG-750M is M12II-750W with DC-DC; the HCG-750 is made by Delta and based on a dual mag amp design, no DC-DC, though independently regulated.

And since he didn't mention M or modular, I'd assume he has the older Delta one.

1 hour ago, Ruo94 said:

Yes, as there were some big changes in the last 4-5 years so that it makes sense to replace it.

Not because its bad but because we have different circumstances...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

@Stefan Payne It is the modular 1. I didn't know there was a non modular 1 lol 
I think grabbing a new PSU wouldn;t hurt.

That's a solid PSU with Jap NCC caps, it's the kind that lasts. There is nothing wrong with it unless it has seen heavy usage for a long period under high temps.