No IPv6 Internet access on secondary router

Colt_0pz
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
11 hours ago, Colt_0pz said:

So I bought a second Nighthawk router (I already had one) and I decided to flash dd-wrt on it. It went mostly successful except for when I tried to test the IPv6 connectivity on the router. I have IPv6 connectivity on my main router (which is another Nighthawk), yet I cannot seem to get an IPv6 connection on the second one. What can I do?

IPv6  for internet addresses does not work out of the box on DDWRT. I had to do some extra configuring to get it to work. You might need to go to the DDWRT forum to ask about that. I know I did. I had to add some things in the firewall section if I recalled as well as set some other configurations throughout the firmware.  

Not sure if this will work for your router: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304079&highlight= thats my post on the DDWRT forum. 

So I bought a second Nighthawk router (I already had one) and I decided to flash dd-wrt on it. It went mostly successful except for when I tried to test the IPv6 connectivity on the router. I have IPv6 connectivity on my main router (which is another Nighthawk), yet I cannot seem to get an IPv6 connection on the second one. What can I do?

Is the secondary router actually routing, and thus you are double NATing?  Or is it acting like a basic switch with WiFi?

(You should have nothing plugged into the internet port)

1 minute ago, Snipergod87 said:

Is the secondary router actually routing, and thus you are double NATing?  Or is it acting like a basic switch with WiFi?

(You should have nothing plugged into the internet port)

Yes, I am double NATing. However, only one device is connected and it has no trouble reaching the internet on IPv4.

I'm assuming the Nighthawk really has zero ND type of configurable options.

v4 works because you're double NATting, IPv6 SLAAC dies in between your routers.

Solve double NAT and you'll solve IPv6 in this specific scenario.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Just now, beersykins said:

I'm assuming the Nighthawk really has zero ND type of configurable options.

v4 works because you're double NATting, IPv6 SLAAC dies in between your routers.

Solve double NAT and you'll solve IPv6 in this specific scenario.

So If I were to connect this router to a modem, that would solve the issue? I am not well versed in how internet protocols operate.

Why are you using double-NAT in the first place?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Why are you using double-NAT in the first place?

I did not have a second modem at hand to test it on.

11 hours ago, Colt_0pz said:

IPv6  for internet addresses does not work out of the box on DDWRT. I had to do some extra configuring to get it to work. You might need to go to the DDWRT forum to ask about that. I know I did. I had to add some things in the firewall section if I recalled as well as set some other configurations throughout the firmware.  

Not sure if this will work for your router: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304079&highlight= thats my post on the DDWRT forum. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That solved an issue I had with another router. Thank you for the link.