Porting Number w/o Cancelling Account?

v0id
Go to solution Solved by factorialandha,
27 minutes ago, v0id said:

I'm currently a customer of AT&T (US). I wish to try out T-Mobile's network for a trial period of 14 days to see if their service will fit my needs, but I wish to use my same number during that time. Apparently though, when you port a number the previous account is automatically cancelled. I'm trying to avoid this, because if I don't like T-Mobile I want to be able to simply go back to AT&T. So far reps on both sides are telling me it's impossible to keep both accounts active, and I just can't fathom that in 2018 no one has thought to make this feasible. Why wouldn't companies make it simple to get back on their service? 

I thought it would be as simple as swapping SIM cards but I'm woefully naive in this area apparently. Anyone have any advice? Is this really impossible to do? Thanks

Going to all the hassle of transferring a number to "try" seems a bit overkill to me, It would make more sense for you to just get a new number for those 14 days to try it. Maybe utilizing a prepaid model, and then set up call forwarding on the ATT side so all calls come through to your new number (doesnt help with text messages etc) but it should give you an idea of if you want to switch.

On top of this, even if ATT and TMobile would do it, you would still end up with 2 numbers. They also arent going to make it easy for you to "switch" on the off chance you might actually come back. 

However, cancelling out your ATT contract ? what downside does that have if you have to get a new contract with ATT if you decide not to stay with TM ?

If its because you have a really good monthly cost with ATT and it will go up if you cancel and come back as a new customer, then thats even more reason for ATT not to do what you want.

I'm currently a customer of AT&T (US). I wish to try out T-Mobile's network for a trial period of 14 days to see if their service will fit my needs, but I wish to use my same number during that time. Apparently though, when you port a number the previous account is automatically cancelled. I'm trying to avoid this, because if I don't like T-Mobile I want to be able to simply go back to AT&T. So far reps on both sides are telling me it's impossible to keep both accounts active, and I just can't fathom that in 2018 no one has thought to make this feasible. Why wouldn't companies make it simple to get back on their service? 

I thought it would be as simple as swapping SIM cards but I'm woefully naive in this area apparently. Anyone have any advice? Is this really impossible to do? Thanks

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

27 minutes ago, v0id said:

Going to all the hassle of transferring a number to "try" seems a bit overkill to me, It would make more sense for you to just get a new number for those 14 days to try it. Maybe utilizing a prepaid model, and then set up call forwarding on the ATT side so all calls come through to your new number (doesnt help with text messages etc) but it should give you an idea of if you want to switch.

On top of this, even if ATT and TMobile would do it, you would still end up with 2 numbers. They also arent going to make it easy for you to "switch" on the off chance you might actually come back. 

However, cancelling out your ATT contract ? what downside does that have if you have to get a new contract with ATT if you decide not to stay with TM ?

If its because you have a really good monthly cost with ATT and it will go up if you cancel and come back as a new customer, then thats even more reason for ATT not to do what you want.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:35 PM, v0id said:

Been with T Mobile for 4+ years. Your not going back to the evil death star, I guarantee it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/21/2018 at 2:07 PM, factorialandha said:

I didn't even think about call forwarding, that's a good point I hadn't considered. So much is tied to my current cell number, that even a few days without it might cause concern. And if this forwarding won't work with texting, then I'm even more in a hole. Concerning my account getting cancelled, I guess I'm afraid I won't get the same plan I currently have because yes, I will be a new customer and might be subject to different terms.

I guess in a perfect world I should be able to just temporarily suspend my AT&T account, switch for a week or two, then reactivate it if need be or cancel at the end of the term. Thanks for the reply though, I'll look into call forwarding.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:19 PM, Donut417 said:

Been with T Mobile for 4+ years. Your not going back to the evil death star, I guarantee it. 

Can you elaborate on that? I'm worried about the usual stuff like coverage and service, but I'm also concerned with how their billing works. They claim that you'll get a flat fee every time (except if you purchase something extra) and that all taxes are included. I find that hard to believe since they fluctuate every month at least a few cents or dollars, at least with AT&T they do. Who'd you switch from and why?

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

2 minutes ago, v0id said:

I didn't even think about call forwarding, that's a good point I hadn't considered. So much is tied to my current cell number, that even a few days without it might cause concern. And if this forwarding won't work with texting, then I'm even more in a hole. Concerning my account getting cancelled, I guess I'm afraid I won't get the same plan I currently have because yes, I will be a new customer and might be subject to different terms.

I guess in a perfect world I should be able to just temporarily suspend my AT&T account, switch for a week or two, then reactivate it if need be or cancel at the end of the term. Thanks for the reply though, I'll look into call forwarding.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm worried about the usual stuff like coverage and service, but I'm also concerned with how their billing works. They claim that you'll get a flat fee every time (except if you purchase something extra) and that all taxes are included. I find that hard to believe since they fluctuate every month at least a few cents or dollars, at least with AT&T they do. Who'd you switch from and why?

The New T Mobile one Plan has the taxes and shit included. The only extras would be a phone, if you choose to finance one thru T Mobile and insurance. Before T Mobile I was with Sprint, and it was hell, shit customer service and generally shitty service all around. I will admit that T Mobile's coverage in Rural areas is a little iffy. Though I will share this. My mom has Verizon, doesnt get service inside Meijer or Walmart. Me on T Mobile have no issues. 

Also taxes generally dont change month to month. Im on an older no longer offers T Mobile plan, as its a little cheaper. I pay about the same amount ever month, $160 for 3 lines Plus 1 phone financed and two phones with insurance. 

58 minutes ago, v0id said:

If you have / are going to have a second device, there are apps you can install, which will allow you to forward / reply to SMS messages as well, they arent 100% great but they can do the job in a pinch. If you dont have a second device then obviously thats not going to work for you, just figured id mention it.

On 8/24/2018 at 12:38 PM, Donut417 said:

The New T Mobile one Plan has the taxes and shit included. The only extras would be a phone, if you choose to finance one thru T Mobile and insurance. Before T Mobile I was with Sprint, and it was hell, shit customer service and generally shitty service all around. I will admit that T Mobile's coverage in Rural areas is a little iffy. Though I will share this. My mom has Verizon, doesnt get service inside Meijer or Walmart. Me on T Mobile have no issues. 

Also taxes generally dont change month to month. Im on an older no longer offers T Mobile plan, as its a little cheaper. I pay about the same amount ever month, $160 for 3 lines Plus 1 phone financed and two phones with insurance. 

Guess it'll be a tossup then in terms of coverage, but they're one of the top three carriers so I figure it shouldn't be too bad. I guess when it comes to the taxes, my regional service charge (what AT&T calls it) is like six or seven bucks a month, but it changes up and down a few cents every month for some reason.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:29 PM, factorialandha said:

If you have / are going to have a second device, there are apps you can install, which will allow you to forward / reply to SMS messages as well, they arent 100% great but they can do the job in a pinch. If you dont have a second device then obviously thats not going to work for you, just figured id mention it.

Yeah, I do got an old ZTE phone that I have just in case something happens to my daily driver, I suppose I could poke around with that. But to be completely safe, I suppose I'll bite the bullet and try it out with a prepaid phone plan. I just wanna make the right choice cuz I consider this an investment.

Thanks to @factorialandha and @Donut417 for your help.

1 minute ago, v0id said:

Guess it'll be a tossup then in terms of coverage, but they're one of the top three carriers so I figure it shouldn't be too bad. I guess when it comes to the taxes, my regional service charge (what AT&T calls it) is like six or seven bucks a month, but it changes up and down a few cents every month for some reason.

Yeah, I do got an old ZTE phone that I have just in case something happens to my daily driver, I suppose I could poke around with that. But to be completely safe, I suppose I'll bite the bullet and try it out with a prepaid phone plan. I just wanna make the right choice cuz I consider this an investment.

Thanks to @factorialandha and @Donut417 for your help.

No problem at all. Wanted to add that pre paid phones can be put on a post paid plan as well, so if anything you buy a cheap pre paid device, at least you will have a backup phone in case shit hits the fan. Another thing Id like to add, depending on the phones you have with AT&T now, they might be T Mobile compatible, but I know T Mobile will insure phones that are not purchased from them. At least thats what the guy told me when I bought my One Plus 3t. 

On 8/25/2018 at 7:17 PM, Donut417 said:

No problem at all. Wanted to add that pre paid phones can be put on a post paid plan as well, so if anything you buy a cheap pre paid device, at least you will have a backup phone in case shit hits the fan. Another thing Id like to add, depending on the phones you have with AT&T now, they might be T Mobile compatible, but I know T Mobile will insure phones that are not purchased from them. At least thats what the guy told me when I bought my One Plus 3t. 

Though my phone is not on their official compatibility list, they've assured me it will because it's a GSM phone. That's what started this whole thing; I gotta be sure I can trust their network on a phone not officially supported. And I got insurance through a third party, I'll never go through a carrier again, lol. 

1 hour ago, v0id said:

Though my phone is not on their official compatibility list, they've assured me it will because it's a GSM phone. That's what started this whole thing; I gotta be sure I can trust their network on a phone not officially supported. And I got insurance through a third party, I'll never go through a carrier again, lol. 

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

Compare your phones specs to this. That will tell you really quick how well it will work.