Hey! I'm trying to get a new power supply for my main rig, since the one I currently have is complete trash. Within my budget, here are some I found:

• Cooler Master Elite V3 500W (MPW-5001-ACABN1-EU) and Cooler Master Elite V3 600W
  • Corsair VS450 
  • Nox Urano VX 650W
  • Aerocool KCAS-600W
  • Seasonic S12II-430 and Seasonic S12II-520
  • Corsair CX430

Which one should I get? I heard the best reviews from the Seasonic S12II-XXX models on the internet (apparently they're made pretty well). I did hear though that they aren't "Haswell-ready" from a thread when Haswell was new.

My specs:

• i3 4160 (Haswell)
  • 2x8GB RAM DDR3 (they are both different models and companies but work well)
  • GA-H81M-S1 rev 2.1
  • GTX 950
  • LC-Power 550W PSU

Thank you!

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Why replace a garbage PSU with another crappy PSU? The CX450, Pure Power 10 400W or Vengeance shouldn't cost much more

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Why replace a garbage PSU with another crappy PSU? The CX450, Pure Power 10 400W or Vengeance shouldn't cost much more

I'm pretty sure the SeaSonic S12II models in the post are actually very good budget PSUs from what I've searched on the internet (although I have no idea if they are compatible with my system or if there are other PSUs in the list that are good). And, unfortunately, I do not have a larger budget.

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm pretty sure the SeaSonic S12II models in the post are actually very good budget PSUs from what I've searched on the internet (although I have no idea if they are compatible with my system or if there are other PSUs in the list that are good). And, unfortunately, I do not have a larger budget.

The S12 II is nearly a decade old. Standards change, it's not a good PSU. 

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The S12 II is nearly a decade old. Standards change, it's not a good PSU. 

I found the CX550 which is 80+ Bronze, pretty recent but it's still a good chunk above my budget. This one is also apparently pretty high quality.

Is that a better one or not?

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I found the CX550 which is 80+ Bronze, pretty recent but it's still a good chunk above my budget. This one is also apparently pretty high quality.

Is that a better one or not?

Yes, the CX is decent, much better than the other ones

Just now, seon123 said:

Yes, the CX is decent, much better than the other ones

I found one closer to my budget (only 2$ apart) which is the CX450M. Is that as decent? 

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I found one closer to my budget (only 2$ apart) which is the CX450M. Is that as decent? 

It's fine too. Worse fan and a little older, but fine. 

17 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Yeah, that'll do fine.

The options you listed are pretty bad. The Seasonic S12 was an alright unit maybe 3+ years ago, but standards have changed and that unit is now not that great.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

23 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yeah, that'll do fine.

The options you listed are pretty bad. The Seasonic S12 was an alright unit maybe 3+ years ago, but standards have changed and that unit is now not that great.

I checked all the computer shops that you can buy from here, unfortunately none of them have any Corsair CX series power supplies (not the CX450, not the CX450M and not the CX550(M)). From the list, are there any other good ones?

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I checked all the computer shops that you can buy from here, unfortunately none of them have any Corsair CX series power supplies (not the CX450, not the CX450M and not the CX550(M)). From the list, are there any other good ones?

Did your read what either @seon123 or I said about your list?

If you can't find a Corsair CX, then is a Cooler Master MasterWatt or be Quiet! Pure Power 10 available?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Did your read what either @seon123 or I said about your list?

If you can't find a Corsair CX, then is a Cooler Master MasterWatt or be Quiet! Pure Power 10 available?

Only a MasterWatt Lite, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Only a MasterWatt Lite, unfortunately.

Well, then it might be best to pack your lunch for another couple weeks and eat ramen so you can get a PSU that's an actual upgrade from the crap unit you have.

There is actually a CX550M in stock and, although it's rather expensive, it is the cheapest good one, so I'll see if i can buy that today or tommorow.

Rather than letting us keep guessing what you have in stock and what isn't, post links to those computer stores so we can see what they have.

2 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Rather than letting us keep guessing what you have in stock and what isn't, post links to those computer stores so we can see what they have.

No need to, I already bought and set up this new PSU that was indeed in stock (it's a Corsair CXM model). This should serve me for 5-7 years apparently.

5 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm pretty sure the SeaSonic S12II models in the post are actually very good budget PSUs from what I've searched on the internet

no, they are not.

They are worse garbage than the Rest of those. Even a Cougar VTX beats the shit out of those ancient pieces of Hardware. Better voltage regulation and lower fanspeed.

Its only being sold and not bashed to smithereends, what it deserves by the way, because its made by a certain manufacturer and people believe strongly that they are good because they were one of the first with Gold Units. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

no, they are not.

They are worse garbage than the Rest of those. Even a Cougar VTX beats the shit out of those ancient pieces of Hardware. Better voltage regulation and lower fanspeed.

Its only being sold and not bashed to smithereends, what it deserves by the way, because its made by a certain manufacturer and people believe strongly that they are good because they were one of the first with Gold Units. 

I know. I already bought a Corsair CX550M model (the gray model from 2015). It's been working pretty well and is quieter than my old power supply.