how do I install this app? (tar.gz)

I downloaded typora from their site. And it is a tar.gz file.

I searched online and other says that I need to find a READ ME file or INSTALL file and click on it.,

However when I extracted it to my desktop, here are all the files that are included.

I can run the program when I click typora, but I don't know how to install this on my system.

screenshot.png.3a369fc3dd47e96a1fe4ff66cf6227d0.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, takagi19 said:

Perhaps you can try to install it using this method: https://support.typora.io/Typora-on-Linux/

nope, got the error that says: there is no such repo.

I think the dev there messed it up. 

Or it does not support 18.04

22 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

nope, got the error that says: there is no such repo.

I think the dev there messed it up. 

Or it does not support 18.04

It works on 16.04 (just verified it myself). Do you get a message about the typora repository when you do apt update?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, 2FA said:

It works on 16.04 (just verified it myself). Do you get a message about the typora repository when you do apt update?

yes., something something cannot be verified. basically the PPA does not support 18.04 yet. 

also isn't typora amazing for writing markdown file? 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

yes., something something cannot be verified. basically the PPA does not support 18.04 yet. 

also isn't typora amazing for writing markdown file? 

Mind sharing a screencap or copypasta of the message?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Just now, 2FA said:

kk give me a min 

3 minutes ago, 2FA said:

damn.. I think they just patched it. 

3 minutes ago, 2FA said:

everything works now. 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

damn.. I think they just patched it. 

Doubtful, they're might have just been a network hiccup somewhere which prevented the key server and/or repo server from being contacted, or something along those lines.

Just now, 2FA said:

Doubtful, they're might have just been a network hiccup somewhere which prevented the key server and/or repo server from being contacted, or something along those lines.

I see. I tried it 2 or 3 times.

Both failed.

Also if you leave deprecated PPA inside your system, whenever you open software updater, it will tells you updated failed. 

So I just removed the PPA.

A lot of stuff are not avail for 18.04.

Good to know that it's working now, and it's just now that I found again the commands for installing via a tar.gz file:

Open Terminal, chdir to the folder where you saved the tar.gz file, then run the following:

tar -xzf archive-name.tar.gz
cd archive-name
./configure
make
sudo make install

That's how I installed ZNC on my Ubuntu VPS before.

Just now, takagi19 said:

Good to know that it's working now, and it's just now that I found again the commands for installing via a tar.gz file:

Open Terminal, chdir to the folder where you saved the tar.gz file, then run the following:

cd archive-name
./configure
make
sudo make install

thank you! I was just checking out your "Hi I am newbie dont eat me" thread. LOL . 

system admin and works in IT? 

Followed. :)

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. I tried it 2 or 3 times.

Both failed.

Also if you leave deprecated PPA inside your system, whenever you open software updater, it will tells you updated failed. 

So I just removed the PPA.

A lot of stuff are not avail for 18.04.

New versions of distros commonly depreciate old libraries in favor of new ones, and a lot of older software doesn't get updated. You can still usually install the dependencies but determining the correct ones can be a pain sometimes.

apt search is your friend.

2 minutes ago, takagi19 said:

cd archive-name
./configure
make
sudo make install

The tarball they provide appears to be already compiled with no make file. OP would simply need to make a .desktop file for this application in either /usr/share/applications or ~/.local/share/applications.

38 minutes ago, 2FA said:

The tarball they provide appears to be already compiled with no make file. OP would simply need to make a .desktop file for this application in either /usr/share/applications or ~/.local/share/applications.

Oh I see. Didn't know that can be the case for some tar files. That explains why OP is able to run it after extraction.

Man I'm starting to get rusty on Linux lol

8 hours ago, takagi19 said:

cd archive-name
./configure
make
sudo make install

This is only valid when you're installing from source, in this case it appears the executable was already compiled.

All OP needs to do is copy those files to a directory that's in their $PATH, or add its current location to $PATH. More information here.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, takagi19 said:

cd archive-name
./configure
make
sudo make install

That install method is so old fashioned.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, 2FA said:

New versions of distros commonly depreciate old libraries in favor of new ones, and a lot of older software doesn't get updated. You can still usually install the dependencies but determining the correct ones can be a pain sometimes.

apt search is your friend.

Yeah, that diamond icon is a binary. It's already compiled and good to go. 

Sudo make me a sandwich