AIO H110i high temperatures with OC i7-7700K

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but it's still technically liquid cooling.

So, I have my i7-7700k overclocked on the ASUS Z270-E motherboard (BIOS 1302) to 4.8GHz @1.25V and I'm having some trouble with the temperatures that I'm seeing from my Corsair H110i cooler.

Typical loads and stress tests put the average temperature at around 80°C with the occasion spike up to 88°C. It has been rock steady as an overclock but yesterday I had to force restart my system when playing Monster Hunter: World (system fully locked up) I have no idea what temperature the CPU reached whilst I was gaming as I have had this OC for months. When I restarted my system I got a BIOS error for CPU temperature. Looking in the BIOS my CPU temperature was still up at 61°C with a water temperature of 43-45°C (from cold boot this is usually around 28°C).

Admittedly I had my cooler set to the quiet setting so 2300rpm on the pump and 1100-1800rpm on the fans (Corsair ML140 pros) depending on load.

For now I have reduced my overclock to 4.6GHz @1.2V to be safe followed by setting the pump to performance (2800rpm) and my temperatures went down to 70-75°C under Monster Hunter load (monitored via HWinfo64 on second screen).

Do these temps look like a potentially failing pump to you. If you reckon it's on its way out do you have any recommendations on coolers to replace it with.

Additional info:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (glass)

2x140mm intake fans (provided with case)

EVGA 1080TI FTW3 GPU

No other exhaust fans apart from CPU cooler.

If you need any more info I'd be happy to share what I can remember.

It’s a little high, I have my 7700k at 5ghz with 88ish under load. You may need new thermal paste or maybe even a new pump, I really don’t know. But new thermal paste is a much cheaper test than getting a new aio.

Did you delid the CPU? If not, then there's the reason. It doesn't matter which cooler you use, eventually you'll need to delid to keep temps down.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

@Quadrum Thanks for the suggestion, I still have some Arctic MX-4 lying around at home. I'll try a new application and see if that helps. If not I'll change the cooler to a H115i

@NelizMastr I haven't de-lidded the CPU. I bought it towards the end of last year so it's still in warranty right now if it blows up. I'd rather wait until the end of this year when it's out of warranty support from Intel before I try anything like that.

Update:

Went back and applied a fresh coat of thermal paste. Looks like my first application was slightly short of covering the whole IHS. I've made sure that the new paste fully covers the IHS and I have removed the top dust filter on the case.

With the same 4.8GHz OC I now have average temps in the 65-70°C range and occasional spikes up to 80°C. Thanks for the help @Quadrum and @NelizMastr