Thermal Throttleing With a Noctua NH-D15

Go to solution Solved by ReHWolution,

Yeah there's not much difference between an AIO and a high end air cooler, honestly. Yes, I'd suggest you to dial down the voltage (around 1.25-1.27) and reduce your OC.

I have a 5820K overclocked to 4.5ghz at 1.35v and whenever I put heavy load it goes to 4ghz or even lower. Temps are fine around 65C. Help

Which temperature is 65 °C? Do you have a way of reading all of the cores temperatures?

Just now, ReHWolution said:

Which temperature is 65 °C? Do you have a way of reading all of the cores temperatures?

Yes that is about on all cores and the entire package.

What motherboard do you have?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, xxMega11xx said:

AI Sweet 3

Please, use a proper tool like AIDA64 (it's not free though) or HWiNFO64. AI Suite 3 sucks very hard. What about the VRM temperatures? It could also be power throttling.

Just now, fasauceome said:

What motherboard do you have?

I have the Asus X99 Deluxe 

Please, use a proper tool like AIDA64 (it's not free though) or HWiNFO64. AI Suite 3 sucks very hard. What about the VRM temperatures? It could also be power throttling.

Ok I will try HWINFO64 and see what happens. The VRMs are at 60C as well.

Just now, xxMega11xx said:

I have the Asus X99 Deluxe 

In the bios, change the load frequencies. There is a frequency for 1-6 core load, so make the 4, 5, and 6 core frequencies higher. I had to change it myself recently on a Maximus board.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

In the bios, change the load frequencies. There is a frequency for 1-6 core load, so make the 4, 5, and 6 core frequencies higher. I had to change it myself recently on a Maximus board.

Ok I will also try that

@ReHWolution@fasauceome So my CPU is thermal throttling but I do not under stand why I did everything you guys had said and my cooler is beafy enough. It just doesn't make sense. The temps are like 87 and up. :( 

X99 isn't easy to tame with air cooling. I had a 5960X and without liquid cooling I couldn't push it much.

Honestly, even with liquid cooling (a full custom setup) I couldn't keep it stable @ 4.5 GHz. Sooooo yeah, try to find a sweet spot between frequency and voltage, 'cause if you're gonna stay on air, you won't be able to get to 4.5 GHz.

X99 isn't easy to tame with air cooling. I had a 5960X and without liquid cooling I couldn't push it much.

Honestly, even with liquid cooling (a full custom setup) I couldn't keep it stable @ 4.5 GHz. Sooooo yeah, try to find a sweet spot between frequency and voltage, 'cause if you're gonna stay on air, you won't be able to get to 4.5 GHz.

I used to use a corsair h100i and I had the same issue and that is why I moved to the nocuta. Should I just tame the voltages and lower my frequencies

Yeah there's not much difference between an AIO and a high end air cooler, honestly. Yes, I'd suggest you to dial down the voltage (around 1.25-1.27) and reduce your OC.

Just now, geo3 said:

Is the cooler installed correctly so it's making full contact? What thermal paste are you using? Did you add enough? Whats the airflow in the case look like?

We had trouble installing the cooler but I believe it is installed correctly. The thermal paste is the stuff that is included with the cooler (it is quite good) and I put about a grain of rice and a half.

Just now, xxMega11xx said:

We had trouble installing the cooler but I believe it is installed correctly. The thermal paste is the stuff that is included with the cooler (it is quite good) and I put about a grain of rice and a half.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Is the cooler installed correctly so it's making full contact? What thermal paste are you using? Did you add enough? Whats the airflow in the case look like?

I have a cooler master Mastercase 5. Extremely good airflow

Then I would take the cooler off and check the dispersion pattern of the paste. It should cover the entire cold plate of the heatsink. If it doesn't then either the cooler wasn't making proper contact or your didn't put enough paste. It's been tested that adding too much is better than adding to little.

7 minutes ago, xxMega11xx said:

I have a cooler master Mastercase 5. Extremely good airflow

Case alone says nothing about airflow. Your fan set up needs to be considered as well. One way to test this is to take the side panel off and point a window or stand fan at the case. If that immediately fixes the problem it points to poor airflow.