Noob Question

legend8887

If I was to have an SSD and a regular HDD, how can I tell which drive I'm putting things on?

If you install windows on your SSD then that one will be called Drive (C:)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

If you install windows on your SSD then that one will be called Drive C:

I know that but then when I set up my HDD how can I tell that I am putting things on that drive? All I want is my OS on my SSD and my games and other stuff on my  HDD.

both drive get different drive letters assignes, so for example the ssd would work as boot dirve and show up as c:\. on this drive you should only install the most important applications or ones that have critical loading times.

the hdd would then show up as the d:\ drive. on that you usually store all your music, movies, and not as important applications.

edit: every time you install a program it will give you the option to select the location

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I know that but then when I set up my HDD how can I tell that I am putting things on that drive? All I want is my OS on my SSD and my games and other stuff on my  HDD.

When you install games, you can pick the location of which it will be stored. Just pick anything else but the C: if you don't want anything other than the OS on the SSD.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

both drive get different drive letters assignes, so for example the ssd would work as boot dirve and show up as c:\. on this drive you should only install the most important applications or ones that have critical loading times.

the hdd would then show up as the d:\ drive. on that you usually store all your music, movies, and not as important applications.

edit: every time you install a program it will give you the option to select the location

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I will get the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I will get the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD.

youre welcome, good choice, great ssd!

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

They show up as different drives in your computer. Plus the file paths are different between your C:/ drive and whatever the other drive is named as.

First off, there's no such thing as a noob question ;)

When you save things, you save it to the designated drive. The drive that the OS is stored on is C drive (so the SSD is the C drive). Anything after usually goes D, E, F etc. Say you're installing a program like Photoshop, during the installation process, you'd set the path to C drive when the option arises. Media like movies, you save to a folder on the other drives.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Unless you're getting the ssd for the warranty, the 840 Pro isn't worth the money. It's unnoticeably faster than the cheaper 840 Evo or normal 840 for normal usage.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I kind of expected a bunch of forum members to be swearing at him, really lost hope for this forum for noob questions after the PS3 fraps thread.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I've found the easiest way to install new software just to HDD is just change drive letter when setup asks for directory. So I have Program Files & (x86) folders both on SSD and HDD. Some setups need you to access advanced or custom install in order to change directory but that about it.

For Steam you need to select folder when installing new games. For Origin installation folder will be same as download folder. Thats why it must be selected before you start download.

You can easily fit other programs beside OS to 128gb SSD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv