1080ti, 1950X - Low FPS in games/bad performance in creative work

Hi all, I recently upgraded my PC to an EVGA1080ti and a threadripper 1950X, cooled with an NZXT x72 also with 32gigs of ram set to 3200hz. I seem to be getting very poor performance in games/creative software, with lows of even 48FPS in games and slow performance in things like photoshop. 

I have the latest bios, latest drivers, reinstalled windows and nothing is working. I HAVE set my cpu to 'gamemode' and it made 0 difference. (Please note I also use my PC as a work station for creative software so I didnt just get this for gaming as I recognise the 1950X isnt that good for it) However, as I stated Im getting poor performance in both gaming and creative works. But more so in gaming..even after setting my cpu settings to game mode. 

Things to note: I get bootlooping when I turn on my PC, and after the 1st or second loop it boots normally. Also Iv concluded it isnt my ram speeds etc after testing. 

Im losing my patience slowly with this, Iv tried everything I can and I cant get good performance. I have no idea what this could be. 

Also I have done benchmarking in Cinebench, farcry 5 etc and both come back poor. Iv tried playing games like HITMAN and I get minimum of 48FPS, the only game to run decently is Overwatch at 140FPS+ 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Just now, FastRDust said:

Does this apply to you?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11726/retesting-amd-ryzen-threadrippers-game-mode-halving-cores-for-more-performance

apparently the threadripper has a gaming mode.

I do not know enough about this myself just yet.

Hi, Iv set my threadripper to gaming mode and it made 0 difference. 

1 minute ago, Ellie_MaeT said:

Hi, Iv set my threadripper to gaming mode and it made 0 difference. 

what's the wattage of your power supply?

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

what's the wattage of your power supply?

It is 750Watts 

1 minute ago, FastRDust said:

https://outervision.com/b/ZZuGWz

sorry to say but it could be that your system is starving for power

Really? with a 750watt? How do I test this...I dont want to spend 100+ pounds on a PSU for it to not be the issue. 

1 minute ago, FastRDust said:

https://outervision.com/b/ZZuGWz

sorry to say but it could be that your system is starving for power

I agree this may be likely, but 824W I am assuming is the max that his computer can pull under max load. He should have plenty of headroom in applications with his nice setup. When you run applications with this issue, does taskmanager show 100% load on the CPU and GPU?

Just now, Ellie_MaeT said:

Really? with a 750watt? How do I test this...I dont want to spend 100+ pounds on a PSU for it to not be the issue. 

you can use the calculator on this site to put in your own setup.

but the only way you can test this is to have a higher wattage power supply connected to see if it helps.

if not then it is something else.

1 minute ago, Ellie_MaeT said:

See my comment above (: Taskmanager should tell you

750W is plenty unless he has some significant OC on both GPU and CPU. 

4 minutes ago, Ellie_MaeT said:

You could remove some Harddisks and just connect the minimum.

like 16gb ram

1 Harddisk/SSD

and keyboard/mouse

minimum load is 624W

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That is not power starvation 750 watts is plenty for this kind of system.

it also depends if its 80 Silver gold or platinum rated.

of not at all it could be under delivering power.

it also depends if its 80 Silver gold or platinum rated.

of not at all it could be under delivering power.

No, not really. If its rated at 750 watt it can deliver 750 watt. Now some lower quality might not be the best for the system, jut under full load this system wont pull the 750watt threshhold.

But we are getting sidetracked.

850 watt is what i would recommend for the system, but 750watt should suffice

9 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

you can use the calculator on this site to put in your own setup.

but the only way you can test this is to have a higher wattage power supply connected to see if it helps.

if not then it is something else.

If power was the issue, then dissabling half the cores should habe solved it

Now im not a troubleshooting expert.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

If power was the issue, then dissabling half the cores should habe solved it

Now im not a troubleshooting expert.

neither am i, just looking at posibillities here.

It can also be tested using CPU intesive loads with and without the GPU installed to see if that increases the performance.

2 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

neither am i, just looking at posibillities here.

It can also be tested using CPU intesive loads with and without the GPU installed to see if that increases the performance.

Ok, srry, but somethimes i just need to point things out

Back on track

Use ddu to uninstall drivers for the GPU in safe mode and reinstall them. Ive heard of issues with the new driver release.

19 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Ok, srry, but somethimes i just need to point things out

Back on track

Use ddu to uninstall drivers for the GPU in safe mode and reinstall them. Ive heard of issues with the new driver release.

Hi, thanks for the replies.i want to add, right now my PC just randomly shut itself down. 

it seems to me that your memory settings aren't stable enough, try setting the memory to stock (2133-2400) and see if the problems persist 

9 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

it seems to me that your memory settings aren't stable enough, try setting the memory to stock (2133-2400) and see if the problems persist 

Its ran perfectly fine set to DOCP and completely stable until I reinstalled windows today. And while it was Idle it just shut itself down. 

Which motherboard are you using and which RAM. Ryzen systems when "bootlooping" are usually doing memory training. This very well may be a memory issue, but it might just be that DOCP doesn't give your DRAM enough power. I assuming it's 1.35V, but there is a chance that isn't enough. I think the first step for the "bootlooping" and the crashing would be to bump your SOC up to 1.1V and your DRAM to 1.4V. Both perfectly safe voltages which you can reduce later if you don't need that much power.

The other question is which power plan are you using in Windows?

Oh and did you install all the Chipset drivers and update your BIOS after your build? I know you said you just re-installed Windows.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 hours ago, nick name said:

Which motherboard are you using and which RAM. Ryzen systems when "bootlooping" are usually doing memory training. This very well may be a memory issue, but it might just be that DOCP doesn't give your DRAM enough power. I assuming it's 1.35V, but there is a chance that isn't enough. I think the first step for the "bootlooping" and the crashing would be to bump your SOC up to 1.1V and your DRAM to 1.4V. Both perfectly safe voltages which you can reduce later if you don't need that much power.

Oh and did you install all the Chipset drivers and update your BIOS after your build? I know you said you just re-installed Windows.

Hi,  I can try those voltages in the Bios next. And yes I downloaded the chipset drivers etc. 

2 hours ago, nick name said:

Do you have any idea where the poor performance comes from? 

Poor performance might be a Windows Power Plan issue if you're not using the Balanced profile. Do you use HWiNFO64 to check your core speeds?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case