Non "Gaming" Motherboards

Does anybody have any suggestions for good motherboards that have bluetooth, wifi, usb-c thunderbolt, and an LGA 1151 socket that don't have 80 billion RGB LED's strapped on it? I just want something that's really simple but that's very quality. 

EDIT: my budget is around $1k (i can go above that as well). with the parts i have right now it's sitting at about $975 with an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F motherboard.

6 minutes ago, Le_Golden_Magikarp said:

Don't only the more expensive boards have thunderbolt? What exactly do you need thunderbolt for? And are you building an entire new PC? if so what's the current build/budget/country?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I wasn't able to find a board that features all those things and even those that have most of the features have of course tons of LEDs. (which you could turn off tho...)

I'd look for a board that features USB C TB and add Wifi and BT later on with a USB dongle.

Otherwise you are spending too much on the board.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Don't only the more expensive boards have thunderbolt? What exactly do you need thunderbolt for? And are you building an entire new PC? if so what's the current build/budget/country?

i might be able to drop thunderbolt support. And i'm basically rebuilding my pc, the only thing i'm keeping is my GPU. As for my budget, i wanted to try and keep it under 1k if i could but i can go for more. 

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I wasn't able to find a board that features all those things and even those that have most of the features have of course tons of LEDs. (which you could turn off tho...)

I'd look for a board that features USB C TB and add Wifi and BT later on with a USB dongle.

Otherwise you are spending too much on the board.

i may just do this, or get a PCI card with wifi and bluetooth on it. I just wanted to avoid that if i could since it's more money. 

Doesn't EVGA have a bunch of high end, no frills motherboards? What chip are you looking to put into it?

Also, if it's just the RGB colorsplosion that bothers you, you can usually just disable it at the BIOS or at the manufacturer's software.

2 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Doesn't EVGA have a bunch of high end, no frills motherboards? What chip are you looking to put into it?

Also, if it's just the RGB colorsplosion that bothers you, you can usually just disable it at the BIOS or at the manufacturer's software.

i was going to put an i7 8700k in there. and i didn't realize you could turn most of that off. 

7 minutes ago, Le_Golden_Magikarp said:

i might be able to drop thunderbolt support. And i'm basically rebuilding my pc, the only thing i'm keeping is my GPU. As for my budget, i wanted to try and keep it under 1k if i could but i can go for more. 

So what's your current GPU?

And what do you need your PC for then? as Ryzen is likely the best value CPU option

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

So what's your current GPU?

And what do you need your PC for then? as Ryzen is likely the best value CPU option

right now i have a refrance GTX 970 and it works fine for me right now since i only have 1080p monitors. I was leaning more towards intel since they tend to have better performance in cpu heavy games. 

6 minutes ago, Le_Golden_Magikarp said:

right now i have a refrance GTX 970 and it works fine for me right now since i only have 1080p monitors. I was leaning more towards intel since they tend to have better performance in cpu heavy games. 

With your GPU you're likely GPU bound anyways, but ya on like the lowest settings or with a 1080/ti, intel is going to average 15-20fps against ryzen in the average AAA Game

however the ryzen 6 core 12 thread CPU is a lot cheaper than what intel's offering, and has nice bonuses like StoreMI and a soldered IHS.

ITX or ATX? ITX boards are more likely to have wifi/bluetooth bundled

And what's your current CPU that you're replacing?

Spoiler

With your GPU you're likely GPU bound anyways, but ya on like the lowest setting, intel is going to average 15-20fps against ryzen

however the ryzen 6 core 12 thread CPU is a lot cheaper than what intel's offering, and has nice bonuses like StoreMI and a soldered IHS.

ITX or ATX? ITX boards are more likely to have wifi/bluetooth bundled

And what's your current CPU that you're replacing?

The CPU i'm replacing is an i5 4570. it's just slow for more demanding tasks like video rendering (that i tend to do a lot of). and i've thought of going ryzen but i still don't know about the gaming performance. 

Just now, Le_Golden_Magikarp said:

The CPU i'm replacing is an i5 4570. it's just slow for more demanding tasks like video rendering (that i tend to do a lot of). and i've thought of going ryzen but i still don't know about the gaming performance. 

Video rendering in premier or vegas/other?

And are you doing game capture/streaming?

Spoiler

Video rendering in premier or vegas/other?

And are you doing game capture/streaming?

i use premier, and occasionally. I mostly just want something more modern since my cpu is staring to age a lot as well. also cpu reliant games like any source games kinda run like garbage on my computer and i know that it's from the cpu. 

8 hours ago, Le_Golden_Magikarp said:

i use premier, and occasionally. I mostly just want something more modern since my cpu is staring to age a lot as well. also cpu reliant games like any source games kinda run like garbage on my computer and i know that it's from the cpu. 

Then probably grab a ryzen 8 core on the cheap for the streaming/recording option while still being good at everything else

The ITX board here is relatively cheap with Wifi/Bluetooth

Could just get a normal board with the addons, probably driving the cost up like $40 though for decent wifi and like $10 blue tooth USB adapter if not bundled onto the wifi.

R7 2700 for the lower voltage required for same frequency vs the R7 1700, and better memory support on Ryzen 2000.

though the R7 1700 will be fine and cheaper.

B350 might need a BIOS update for 2000 though.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3Mytg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3Mytg/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($290.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($80.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $789.79

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yT3stg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yT3stg/by_merchant/CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $718.70

2700 is basically the 2700X with an OC

Spoiler

5b7289e7176af_AverageGamingPerformance.png.9d8f08b6ea29d2c13807e6da6d96ad98.png

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Then probably grab a ryzen 8 core on the cheap for the streaming/recording option while still being good at everything else

The ITX board here is relatively cheap with Wifi/Bluetooth

Could just get a normal board with the addons, probably driving the cost up like $40 though for decent wifi and like $10 blue tooth USB adapter if not bundled onto the wifi.

R7 2700 for the lower voltage required for same frequency vs the R7 1700, and better memory support on Ryzen 2000.

though the R7 1700 will be fine and cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3Mytg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3Mytg/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($290.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($80.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $789.79

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yT3stg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yT3stg/by_merchant/CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $718.70

2700 is basically the 2700X with an OC

Reveal hidden contents

5b7289e7176af_AverageGamingPerformance.png.9d8f08b6ea29d2c13807e6da6d96ad98.png

B350 with a second gen Ryzen? You wouldnt get the full potential... (boost)
Get a decent 450 like the Master SLI X470, such high end CPU shouldn't have such low end board.

You know I didn't realize how simple it is to turn off the lighting on motherboards is either. I saw all the marketing images where they have all the lights turned on and it turned me off to all of them. Then I learned it's a simple BIOS option and it made shopping so much easier just being able to focus on specs.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 hours ago, SliceT said:

You wouldnt get the full potential... (boost)

XFR 2 works fine on B350, it's just like the cheapest board with wifi/bluetooth, and happens to be ITX which is neat.

the MasterSLI X470 just has a wider VRM, still a 4 phase, not sure on component differences. Also no wifi/bluetooth?

Spoiler