is my power supply enough?

Ashleyyyy
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i only use one at a time btw, the R9 290X is used for Windows gaming, and any games that run natively on Linux i use the 780Ti for. so when i use the R9 the 780Ti sits idle at the desktop, and if i use the 780Ti the R9 sits idle. 

Yeah, 850W is plenty then.

i'm upgrading my pc, and i want to know if my power supply will be enough after those upgrades. 

specs when upgraded:

2x Xeon X5650

ASUS Z8PE-D18

36GB of ram

GTX 780Ti 

R9 290X (used with Windows VM using pci-e passthrough)

3x 240GB SSD RAID 0

2x 1TB HDD

a load of usb devices, namely 2 Corsair RGB keyboards

i have a Corsair AX 860, is that enough? 

She/Her

Yeah it'll be enough.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

7 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yeah it'll be enough.

sure? because it's already going over 500 sometimes with my current specs, see signature...

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yes, though I wouldn't OC both GPUs at once.

i don't OC. everything runs stock. 

She/Her

lol why do you have a 200$ psu? is it used and how much did you get it for? 200$ can get you a hx1000 or hx1200 if you are lucky

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

lol why do you have a 200$ psu? is it used and how much did you get it for? 200$ can get you a hx1000 or hx1200 if you are lucky

i wanted to be safe. the last time i used a cheap psu it blew up and took my motherboard, ram and an audio interface connected to the pc with it. i don't want that to happen again, because my current system is worth a lot more than the one that blew up... 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i wanted to be safe. the last time i used a cheap psu it blew up and took my motherboard, ram and an audio interface connected to the pc with it. i don't want that to happen again, because my current system is worth a lot more than the one that blew up... 

a hx1200 or hx1000 is top-tier too, its also a high end psu from corsair. whatever it doesnt really matter.

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yes, though I wouldn't OC both GPUs at once.

i only use one at a time btw, the R9 290X is used for Windows gaming, and any games that run natively on Linux i use the 780Ti for. so when i use the R9 the 780Ti sits idle at the desktop, and if i use the 780Ti the R9 sits idle. 

She/Her

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

a hx1200 or hx1000 is top-tier too, its also a high end psu from corsair. whatever it doesnt really matter.

certain things like psu's and storage i don't buy used anymore. not worth the risk for me. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

certain things like psu's and storage i don't buy used anymore. not worth the risk for me. 

new a hx1200 is 220$. hx1000 is 190. it doesnt matter anyways.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

new a hx1200 is 220$.

well i went with the AX at the time, and i can't change that. i didn't know the HX1200 was that price though... 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

860 actually :) 

it also won't be an issue at startup i hope? like the peak when it first boots up? 

She/Her

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

860 actually :) 

it also won't be an issue at startup i hope? like the peak when it first boots up? 

Nope.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||