Two 120mm Or One 140mm Fan

AidenBear

Hello, I am getting the Phanteks P350X which only comes with one fan which I will be putting as exhaust. I'm unsure if I should put two Corsair ML120 fans as front intake or one Corsair ML140 fan in the lower slot. Are 140mm fans generally quieter and better performing than 120mm fans? Thanks.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

Corsair fans are awful. Like legit I had some SP fans in push pull as a test and the single fan the Cryorig H7 came with was not only quieter, it cooled better.

As for fans, I'd go 2 120s if that's the case. Looks like it'd be starved for air.

19 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

Hello, I am getting the Phanteks P350X which only comes with one fan which I will be putting as exhaust. I'm unsure if I should put two Corsair ML120 fans as front intake or one Corsair ML140 fan in the lower slot. Are 140mm fans generally quieter and better performing than 120mm fans? Thanks.

Personally I'd put two 120mm fans over a single 140mm but in very general terms a 140mm fan is usually going to be quieter since it has large blades and can spin slower to achieve similar performance.

anytime you can use bigger fans i would use them. 2 x 120 will move more air than 1 140 but larger fans can move the same air at a lower speed making them quieter. also more fans = more noise because sound is additive. but in this case it wont make a huge difference.

two other things to note.

1. it will look better with the front filled with fans than with just 1 fan 

2. the single 140 might as well go in the upper slot to breeze over the ram (completely depends on your setup tbh) bottom of case usually has no real heat making components and gpu can help bottom (depending on gpu) 
dont worry too much about case cooling it results in maybe a couple degrees in improvement

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Corsair fans are awful. Like legit I had some SP fans in push pull as a test and the single fan the Cryorig H7 came with was not only quieter, it cooled better.

As for fans, I'd go 2 120s if that's the case. Looks like it'd be starved for air.

How is that case starved for air? Do you mean the lack of fans it comes with? And what fans do you recommend? Preferably somewhat good looking static pressure fans.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

14 hours ago, Mooshi said:

That case is actually A LOT better in terms of airflow than previous gen. Rather than having no other mesh than under front panel, it has mesh on both sides of front panel.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Since the front of the case is covered it just comes down to noise versus performance.  Two 120mm fans will outperform a single 140mm fan but at the cost of noise.

Really what it boils down to is up to you.  IMO once you break a certain noise threshold it doesn't matter if it sounds like a server room or an airplane, both are equally annoying.  Once I break 60c I ramp my fan curves up because for some reason that's my magic number that I like to keep things at which is entirely unrealistic but hey... why the hell not?