Hard drive making a knocking sound

XR6
Go to solution Solved by ad1das,

I would honestly buy a new replacement drive and just try and clone the old drive to the new one.  You can get a 1 TB drive fairly cheap or  just get a 2TB 7200 rpm drive and call it a day.

Hi everyone

I've recently started using my previous computer to play Windows games again (as my main PC is a Mac now)

The hard drive, a WD Blue 1TB, has recently started making a knocking sound which I can only describe as being similar to an old car parked with its engine on.

It's only been happening since about 1:30pm today (that's in BST btw) 

I've just cleared about 100GB off of the hard drive as it had about 24GB of space left on the drive and it was painfully slow to use. 

I'm pretty sure this is hard drive failure but I want to be certain it's not just a faulty fan or anything like that.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you! :) 

Get as much data as you can off of it.  It sounds as if it is about to crash.

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

Just now, ad1das said:

Get as much data as you can off of it.  It sounds as if it is about to crash.

I'll do that right away. I really do not want to download all my games again with the internet speeds I get on this thing..

I would honestly buy a new replacement drive and just try and clone the old drive to the new one.  You can get a 1 TB drive fairly cheap or  just get a 2TB 7200 rpm drive and call it a day.

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

Just now, ad1das said:

I think that would be my best bet. Thank you so much, you've just saved me about 2 days of continuous game downloads. :D 

Check what a tool like CrystalDiskInfo finds, if it displays caution then exchange the drive as it probably will die soon.

Hello 1kv,

Check out this link with recorded failing hard drive sounds, if it sounds similar r any of these try to back up your data and replace the drive ASAP:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming