Is this a "good" Mid level gaming system

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
12 minutes ago, StarfleetCap said:

I agree, even with 2 1070 ti, it doesn't need over 800-900 watts.

For 2x 1070tis + 8700k you would be looking at a good quality 750W unit. 1070tis consume up to around 250W give or take a bit with overclocking and GPU boost. So looking at about 500W for the GPUs under full GPU load. 250W will be plenty for the rest of the system.

2 minutes ago, StarfleetCap said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbY4Bb 

You probably don't need that much watts

For an 8700k + 2x 1080tis I'd go with 850W just to give plenty of room for overclocking the CPU.

21 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

As i mentioned in the OP Some of the parts i already have in my current setup.

What's your current set up? What CPU/platform are you upgrading from?

Just curious as to whether this is a reasonable Mid level gaming system.
I have purchased all these parts and some are from a previous build and i am just want to know how well this setup would do at 1080p gaming at a bare minimum of 60fps in most games.
I also realize my monitor is only 60Htzs but i managed to OC it to 76Htzs.
I am also planning on OC'ing My CPU and wanted to know what the average OC most people are getting with the obvious silicon lottery already in my mind.
I am not planning on OC'ing my RAM though as i am not yet comfortable trying to do that.

Also i realise i chose Windows 7 but it's cause i hate Windows 10 and all the incompatibilities that come with it.

HERE ARE THE PARTS:

CPU:

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:    
Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard:    
Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory:
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory    
Storage:   
Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card:    
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
Case:
Cougar - Panzer ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:    
Aerocool - 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System:    
Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate Full 64-bit
Monitor:    
BenQ - RL2755HM 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

Edited for typo's

Depends on what you're running on it, but your cpu may as well be paired with a 1080 ti or even a titan series card.

Just the usual stuff like CS:GO, GTA V, Fallout 4, Rust, and a whole bunch of others but they are the main ones

4 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

I am also planning on OC'ing My CPU and wanted to know what the average OC most people are getting with the obvious silicon lottery already in my mind.
I am not planning on OC'ing my RAM though as i am not yet comfortable trying to do that.

Well... I think simple ram overclocking is easier than CPU overclock as you would have to adjust the voltage, and a bunch of pther settings.

2 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

Just the usual stuff like CS:GO, GTA V, Fallout 4, Rust, and a whole bunch of others but they are the main ones

If so, I would buy i7 7700k or i5 8600k and spending the money left on a better graphics card

i would change the 8700k to a 8600k and up the gpu to a 1070 or 1070 ti

Since the 8700k and 8600k are nearly similar in gaming and you could use the money for a better GPU.

1 minute ago, SoreRaito said:

Since the 8700k and 8600k are nearly similar in gaming and you could use the money for a better GPU.

No, i5 8600k doesn't have hyperthreading (doubling the logical cores) while 8700k does. But most games doesn't use more than 2 cores, I guess thats true.

If so, I would buy i7 7700k or i5 8600k and spending the money left on a better graphics card

2 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

The GPU i already have in my current setup and i need the extra cores more due to streaming etc

3 minutes ago, StarfleetCap said:

No, i5 8600k doesn't have hyperthreading (doubling the logical cores) while 8700k does.

Sure thing thats why i said "Nearly Similar" and not the same =D

14 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

Power Supply:    

How many graphics cards are you planning on powering that you need a 1050W PSU?
Swap that for a good quality 550W.

I have purchased all these parts and some are from a previous build and i am just want to know how well this setup would do at 1080p gaming at a bare minimum of 60fps in most games.
I also realize my monitor is only 60Htzs but i managed to OC it to 76Htzs.

Grab an 8600k instead and save some money. 1060 6GB is going to be plenty in those for 1080p gaming at 60/75fps. I wouldn't bother spending more on a better GPU if you're not planning on changing your monitor.

Wait...

I have purchased all these parts

Bit late to be asking for advice now, isn't it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, slysnake96 said:

The GPU i already have in my current setup and i need the extra cores more due to streaming etc

Ok, than you can upgrade the gpu later or wait a bit  more.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Wait...

Bit late to be asking for advice now, isn't it?

He could return those (or she)

I dont plan on powering much more at the moment, but i do plan on upgrading my GPU to 2x 1080's in the future
This is what i have already in my current sys MOBO RAM and GPU are coming soon:

CPU Cooler:    
Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Storage:   
Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card:    
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
Case:
Cougar - Panzer ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:    
Operating System:    
Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate Full 64-bit
Monitor:    
BenQ - RL2755HM 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How many graphics cards are you planning on powering that you need a 1050W PSU?
Swap that for a good quality 550W.

Just now, StarfleetCap said:

I do plan on upgrading my GPU to 2x 1080's or maybe even 2x 1080Ti's in the future

1 minute ago, StarfleetCap said:

He could return those (or she)

This is always a weird thing for me to understand. Is returning their computer parts to the store because they changed their mind something that people actually do? Do stores normally allow you to return opened/used parts?
Typically here in Australia [PC hardware] stores don't accept 'change of mind' returns, and especially not after it has been opened out of the packaging (if it's still sealed in packaging and you bought it a few days ago you call them up or go to their store you might be able to convince them to let you swap it out for another part or get store credit or something. Even then you may be charged a 'restocking fee'). You're only entitled to a return if the item is faulty.

5 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

I dont plan on powering much more at the moment, but i do plan on upgrading my GPU to 2x 1080's in the future

SLI is dead. Buying two 1080tis is a waste of money, especially for the monitor you currently have.

You already have the PSU so there's no point swapping it out now, but I mentioned it because if you were planning on buying it then it would have been unnecessary.

Anyway, to go back and answer your initial question.

30 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

Just curious as to whether this is a reasonable Mid level gaming system.

An 8700k + 1060 6GB will absolutely destroy games at 1080p60fps.
Since you added that you will be streaming as well, then the 8700k will help a lot with that with its extra cores.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, StarfleetCap said:

For 2x 1070tis + 8700k you would be looking at a good quality 750W unit. 1070tis consume up to around 250W give or take a bit with overclocking and GPU boost. So looking at about 500W for the GPUs under full GPU load. 250W will be plenty for the rest of the system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbY4Bb 

You probably don't need that much watts

For an 8700k + 2x 1080tis I'd go with 850W just to give plenty of room for overclocking the CPU.

21 minutes ago, slysnake96 said:

11 minutes ago, StarfleetCap said:

@slysnake96 I was actually considering between your aio cooler and h100i v2 but went with h100i v2

And maybe a 2tb hdd? 

Yeah I already have 4 2TB HDD's just couldn't be bothered pulling my PC apart to find the model numbers etc

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

This is always a weird thing for me to understand. Is returning their computer parts to the store because they changed their mind something that people actually do? Do stores normally allow you to return opened/used parts?
Typically here in Australia [PC hardware] stores don't accept 'change of mind' returns, and especially not after it has been opened out of the packaging (if it's still sealed in packaging and you bought it a few days ago you call them up or go to their store you might be able to convince them to let you swap it out for another part or get store credit or something. Even then you may be charged a 'restocking fee'). You're only entitled to a return if the item is faulty.

SLI is dead. Buying two 1080tis is a waste of money, especially for the monitor you currently have.

You already have the PSU so there's no point swapping it out now, but I mentioned it because if you were planning on buying it then it would have been unnecessary.

Anyway, to go back and answer your initial question.

An 8700k + 1060 6GB will absolutely destroy games at 1080p60fps.
Since you added that you will be streaming as well, then the 8700k will help a lot with that with its extra cores.

Yeah i am here in Aus too, and i will eventually upgrade the monitor too and the 1080's or 1080Ti's will be last on my list to upgrade as it will take me a while to save for them

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah i would go with better quality PSU but can't be bothered since i already have the 1050W one in my current rig... And LOL my current rig destroys tetris like a champ xD

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I typically buy things online, and amazon and newegg lets you return it.

@Spotty My current setup is so sh*t that it's not even worth mentioning the parts other than PSU, GPU, Cooling and SSD LOL

15 minutes ago, StarfleetCap said:

I typically buy things online, and amazon and newegg lets you return it.

Australia doesn't have newegg, and Amazon is fairly new here. Haven't tried their return policy yet. Looking at Amazon AU's website it does state that it allows change of mind returns for up to 30 days after purchase, providing that the item is still sealed in its original packaging (unopened). Not sure if that's the same in other countries, but if you have already built the system then it appears you're S.O.O.L.

Just something I was curious about as I often see people recommending "Return that part and buy this cheaper/better one instead" on new build threads and was wondering how common it is and how stores accept change of mind returns on opened PC parts.