dell wont work with my new psu

ok so my dell OptiPlex 7040 works just fine with the stock power supply in it and im writing this on it now when I put in my corsair SF600 that's a refurbished unit and use the 24 to 8 pin adapter I get lights and fan spin for half a second and it shuts off and repeats this till I got pissed off and held the power button which made it stop cycling as long as I held it down but I get nothing at all I held it for a 30 count to try a reset or something still cycles and swapped everything back to stock and its like nothing happened do you think its a bad power supply?

just need advice so I can move forward with this project again.

Sounds like a bad-supply, it's pretty obvious when they poop.

For safety do not attempt to fix it, but warranty it or throw it out; capacitors can kill you if you discharge them improperly.

I think that model uses a nonstandard power supply, it's possible you will not be able to use a standard ATX PSU with your tower. Some sites might sell PSU adapters, but if you have trouble it'd be difficult to know if it was the adapter or the PSU that wasn't working without testing the PSU on another, ATX-compatible PC.

That said, refurbished PSUs are a horrible idea and are just about the only component you should never, EVER buy used. Please return it and buy something new from tiers 1, 2, or 3 of this thread instead, if you wanted to give it another try.

13 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

I think that model uses a nonstandard power supply, it's possible you will not be able to use a standard ATX PSU with your tower. Some sites might sell PSU adapters, but if you have trouble it'd be difficult to know if it was the adapter or the PSU that wasn't working without testing the PSU on another, ATX-compatible PC.

That said, refurbished PSUs are a horrible idea and are just about the only component you should never, EVER buy used. Please return it and buy something new from tiers 1, 2, or 3 of this thread instead, if you wanted to give it another try.

Those are Corsair certified. JonnyGURU (works at Corsair) has publicly said that the SF returns are mostly just return units of people not knowing it was SFX.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Those are Corsair certified. JonnyGURU (works at Corsair) has publicly said that the SF returns are mostly just return units of people not knowing it was SFX.

Interesting, I did not know that. Still wouldn't risk it myself, but that is at least safer.

Still, OP didn't say it was certified by Corsair. For all we know it could have been a "refurbished" unit from a random ebay seller.

25 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

it is a non standard power supply it uses a 24 to 8 pin converter the first one I bought had a wire hanging out of the 24 pin end and the company never got back to me where it went so I ordered another from a different company and now am having this issue with the cycling with the aftermarket going to take it back to micro center and swap it out for another unit while its under warrantee.

33 minutes ago, Tyler Moore said:

Sounds like a bad-supply, it's pretty obvious when they poop.

For safety do not attempt to fix it, but warranty it or throw it out; capacitors can kill you if you discharge them improperly.

going to take it back and see. is their a test they can do to see if it is dead? why screw with something DOA don't know why people do that. 

9 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

Interesting, I did not know that. Still wouldn't risk it myself, but that is at least safer.

Still, OP didn't say it was certified by Corsair. For all we know it could have been a "refurbished" unit from a random ebay seller.

its a micro center refurbished from corsair 1 year corsair guarantee. who buys these janky PSUs off ebay I don't understand how someone could think that's a good idea I was a sceptic till I saw the certification.

Just now, jonrosalia said:

its a micro center refurbished from corsair 1 year corsair guarantee. who buys these janky PSUs off ebay I don't understand how someone could think that's a good idea I was a sceptic till I saw the certification.

That sounds much better! I have to automatically assume the worst sometimes, so I hope you understand.

Well, you can easily and safely determine if the PSU is functional at idle by connecting the green wire of the 24 pin atx connector with any of the black wires(aka jump starting your PSU) and see if does the same thing.
If doesn't then you can put a load like a HDD or something and see if it still works.

Now if you ask me I think the most likely situation is that 24 pin to 8 pin converter that you're talking about is incompatible with your board and it's turning itself off seeing probably a short saving your motherboard. I think there's nothing wrong with your PSU.
Someone also mentioned it on their review on amazon.

Or the unlikely scenario would be that PSU can't take the load or it's not properly functional under load. Also you can check that by using a multimeter or a LED with a resistor, without opening the PSU and getting yourself killed.

There's a PGO (Power Good Out) wire (The Grey one don't mix it with the white one) which should output 5V with any of the black wires when everything is running properly (respect to the ground).

More on how to jump start PSU (https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf)

2 hours ago, Cannon Lake said:

Well, you can easily and safely determine if the PSU is functional at idle by connecting the green wire of the 24 pin atx connector with any of the black wires(aka jump starting your PSU) and see if does the same thing.
If doesn't then you can put a load like a HDD or something and see if it still works.

Now if you ask me I think the most likely situation is that 24 pin to 8 pin converter that you're talking about is incompatible with your board and it's turning itself off seeing probably a short saving your motherboard. I think there's nothing wrong with your PSU.
Someone also mentioned it on their review on amazon.

Or the unlikely scenario would be that PSU can't take the load or it's not properly functional under load. Also you can check that by using a multimeter or a LED with a resistor, without opening the PSU and getting yourself killed.

There's a PGO (Power Good Out) wire (The Grey one don't mix it with the white one) which should output 5V with any of the black wires when everything is running properly (respect to the ground).

More on how to jump start PSU (https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf)

im going to need to find a pin out for that then unless its always 4 and 5 i have a modular so all the wires are black on this one if i swap it out and it dosent work still im going to move on and start another small form factor build with the sf600 and get a thermaltake core G3 put the dell back to "stock" and  move it on.

7 hours ago, jonrosalia said:

it is a non standard power supply it uses a 24 to 8 pin converter the first one I bought had a wire hanging out of the 24 pin end and the company never got back to me where it went so I ordered another from a different company and now am having this issue with the cycling with the aftermarket going to take it back to micro center and swap it out for another unit while its under warrantee.

going to take it back and see. is their a test they can do to see if it is dead? why screw with something DOA don't know why people do that. 

The Optiplex 7040MT is VERY proprietary.  I wouldn't have 100% confidence that a simple 24 to 8-pin adapter would be enough to allow a standard ATX/SFX PSU to work because I don't know if the power good signal is correct, etc.

Certainly you can test the PSU itself using a paper clip to jump the PS ON to ground, then use a DMM to make sure you have the correct voltages at the correct pins.

5 hours ago, jonrosalia said:

im going to need to find a pin out for that then unless its always 4 and 5 i have a modular so all the wires are black on this one if i swap it out and it dosent work still im going to move on and start another small form factor build with the sf600 and get a thermaltake core G3 put the dell back to "stock" and  move it on.

Just stick with doing the test on the SF by itself as I suggested.  With a PSU as proprietary as the Optiplex, you could be looking at a myriad of issues.  There's far more to PSUs than "does it convert AC to DC".

I don't trust those adapters 60% of the time.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Just stick with doing the test on the SF by itself as I suggested.  With a PSU as proprietary as the Optiplex, you could be looking at a myriad of issues.  There's far more to PSUs than "does it convert AC to DC".

I don't trust those adapters 60% of the time.

did the test and get the same result I hear a relay click with a half second of fan spin even with a spair known good hard drive as a load