Has this been done before?

So, I am a game developer and my team's financial status is not really so good.

My idea was to make a subscription based forum, that for example you pay 10$ and get a lifetime subscription.

At this forum, we will have polls etc letting the forum members choose for example how they want the map to be like, what factions should models be on etc.

I have made a beta version of what I want to do under (<Link Removed>) but I still don't know if you guys find it interesting.

As you can understand I think this would be a lot cooler than just launching an IndieGoGo campaign and giving out t-shirts in reward tiers with no point.

Looking forward to your replies down below!

Edited by W-L
Link Removed

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Sounds like a desperate cash grab.

Isn't it more interesting than a shitty indiegogo or kickstarter campaign?

I think it seems better than the indegogo idea, I think its a great idea

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

$10?

I'm sorry, but are you insane? Because this better be a AAA title game to, in some way, justify this cost.

Just now, NMS said:

$10?

I'm sorry, but are you insane? Because this better be a AAA title game to, in some way, justify this cost.

well don't get shocked, I was thinking more about 5 for lifetime subscription

Very desperate indeed.

There are many developments taking place that make whatever it is you're working on seem like a 2 week project to their several year journey. Just speaking reality but come up with a product first, show us it and if we like it maybe find ways with micro transactions. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Moore said:

Very desperate indeed.

There are many developments taking place that make whatever it is you're working on seem like a 2 week project to their several year journey. Just speaking reality but come up with a product first, show us it and if we like it maybe find ways with micro transactions. 

Been already working on this game for 6 months, about one and a half year remaining and only thing holding me back is hardware such as servers ect

I'm sure you're just trying to keep your studio afloat but it'll seem really shady

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Okay, here's my two cents. It sounds interesting, but Patrion seems a much better way to do it. Set up tiers where you can give back to different tiers. Allow the people who are donating to be able to give feedback on updates as the project moves along, along with the possibility of getting early/beta releases for those participating, and even merch for those in higher tiers. Allow those who are donating to be a part of the experience, and even give them a spot in the credits, thanking them for their support. Also, having a steady stream of funds is better then just getting some once, not to mention people can join and leave at any given time. It's a way for people to also vote with their wallets as to how things are progressing, and the content you are creating.

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

Okay, here's my two cents. It sounds interesting, but Patrion seems a much better way to do it. Set up tiers where you can give back to different tiers. Allow the people who are donating to be able to give feedback on updates as the project moves along, along with the possibility of getting early/beta releases for those participating, and even merch for those in higher tiers. Allow those who are donating to be a part of the experience, and even give them a spot in the credits, thanking them for their support. Also, having a steady stream of funds is better then just getting some once, not to mention people can join and leave at any given time. It's a way for people to also vote with their wallets as to how things are progressing, and the content you are creating.

i was thinking of doing this, maby I could setup a FORUM-PATREON-DISCORD interconnected triangle with users able to go around these platforms helping with studio decisions. Thanks for reminding me about patreon.

Yeah, I don't know much, it sounds like the Patreon angle works out best. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

2 minutes ago, Meandia said:

i was thinking of doing this, maby I could setup a FORUM-PATREON-DISCORD interconnected triangle with users able to go around these platforms helping with studio decisions. Thanks for reminding me about patreon.

No problem. Best way to do this is to get those who are funding you involved, and have some return of investment. The more they feel a part of it, the more they want it to do better, and the more proud they will be when it's a success. The trickier part is enticing people to join.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

No problem. Best way to do this is to get those who are funding you involved, and have some return of investment. The more they feel a part of it, the more they want it to do better, and the more proud they will be when it's a success. The trickier part is enticing people to join.

problem is i have no community yet, ive been working 6 months behind the scenes. that is why I'm looking to do something with funding ect , since i can gain a follower base

I personally wouldn’t buy that but you never know. People buy a lot of stupid things. 

Not to say yours is stupid but people have made websites & sold space on the website as advertising space. 

You say you have no community, so your forum could end up dying quickly even if people do pay. 

Most teams make a discord server for a community. Patreon and paypal donations do help. You could also seek a publisher but MAKE SURE they offer financial support. Many just want the profit of your game, steal 10~ percent & just “we can get your game on the amazon store.” If they say that you’re perfectly okay to tell them to righteously piss off. 

11 bit studios does monetary & development assistance. They created this war of mine. I believe they published beat cop. I looked into their services & they’re always looking to expand. Their application process is pretty simple & in at least polish & English at your choice. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I personally wouldn’t buy that but you never know. People buy a lot of stupid things. 

Not to say yours is stupid but people have made websites & sold space on the website as advertising space. 

You say you have no community, so your forum could end up dying quickly even if people do pay. 

Most teams make a discord server for a community. Patreon and paypal donations do help. You could also seek a publisher but MAKE SURE they offer financial support. Many just want the profit of your game, steal 10~ percent & just “we can get your game on the amazon store.” If they say that you’re perfectly okay to tell them to righteously piss off. 

11 bit studios does monetary & development assistance. They created this war of mine. I believe they published beat cop. I looked into their services & they’re always looking to expand. Their application process is pretty simple & in at least polish & English at your choice. 

I have friends working in publishing companies willing to drop loads of money on it. My problem is that they ask for equity, and that is what I don't want to give out, equity.

5 minutes ago, Meandia said:

I have friends working in publishing companies willing to drop loads of money on it. My problem is that they ask for equity, and that is what I don't want to give out, equity.

You don’t have anything right now. 

Also you’ll make projects in the future. Once you have money, you can just make a new IP. No one trademarked “FPS.” I was working on projects where I was like “ahh! I can’t tell anyone my idea,.. they might steal it.” No one wants your idea as they have their own. I’m publicly posting my process in creating an AI in the programming section. 

If you remember call of duty, they had that whole future vibe with advanced movement & whatnot. 

Then comes along respawn entertainment, made of mostly Call of duty developers & they made their own FPS with advanced movement. 

It takes 5 seconds to come up with a setting. Your company is no offense worthless now & you can just as easily register a new one. 

Id say go with the publisher that gives you the best deal, and then if you don’t like what they do, you can quit your job & make a new company. 

Edit:

what about all your code & models? Well you made them once. Next time you’ll make them better. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

You don’t have anything right now. 

Also you’ll make projects in the future. Once you have money, you can just make a new IP. No one trademarked “FPS.” I was working on projects where I was like “ahh! I can’t tell anyone my idea,.. they might steal it.” No one wants your idea as they have their own. I’m publicly posting my process in creating an AI in the programming section. 

If you remember call of duty, they had that whole future vibe with advanced movement & whatnot. 

Then comes along respawn entertainment, made of mostly Call of duty developers & they made their own FPS with advanced movement. 

It takes 5 seconds to come up with a setting. Your company is no offense worthless now & you can just as easily register a new one. 

Id say go with the publisher that gives you the best deal, and then if you don’t like what they do, you can quit your job & make a new company. 

Edit:

what about all your code & models? Well you made them once. Next time you’ll make them better. 

can't argue it is not true , still im not making a new FPS that is just as any other ever made before. It has so many features no other milsim ever implimented, only publisher/dev im talking with at the moment is bohemia interactive.

2 minutes ago, Meandia said:

can't argue it is not true , still im not making a new FPS that is just as any other ever made before. It has so many features no other milsim ever implimented, only publisher/dev im talking with at the moment is bohemia interactive.

Bite the bullet. Bohemia is a European company. You’re set if you strike a deal with them. The DayZ guys are still doing well even if no one plays their game. 

I’d say you’re stretching far as games like squad, operation flashpoint & arma and mods for arma do quite a lot. 

Umm, you can always have a bank overdraft if you really need that short term boost of cash.

Paying $10 for forum subscription is too much in my opinion.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Im a videogames programmer!  are you making  a fps? , which engine? (just curiosity ue4? :D:D:D unity? ) 

Well from what I know the best way to refund is to go to startup meetings in your country (there are a ton nowadays) those meetings try to introduce young entrepeneurs to investors... 

Look for startup's meetings in your country, or anything suporting young enterprises (I've got a friend that made first windows xp port to psp ,2 years working on that funded) .

There are forums with subscription but it has to be good s**t you know , like www.hacked.com but helping you to improve your game and masking on "you subs drive the game" its not fair, If you had your game finished maybe like poe you can throw suporter packs with forum skins private chats and so  on... but with a full working game and with a huge player base, (to give the feeling of if I pay my voice will be heard above anothers who dont pay)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

21 hours ago, Meandia said:

problem is i have no community yet, ive been working 6 months behind the scenes. that is why I'm looking to do something with funding ect , since i can gain a follower base

the problem here being that whatever you start up, wherever you do it, lack of fan base is going to stifle the platform working for you. I realize you're trying to develop a game and money is important, but most people aren't going to give $10 or even $5 just to pay to do some of your work for you. while that's not your intended reaason, that's how people will feel, similar to how a lot of gamers feel about beta and early release versions costing as much as the full version, meaning you're paying for the privilege to find bugs in someone's game. This will feel like i'm paying you to have a chance to tell you what i want a game to be. Also even given that, you will have a lot of people want this, but a lot of people want that. Ultimately you should focus on making the game as good as possible by your own ideas. When you have something playable, but not polished, toss it out free to a few gamers in return for feedback. Get the game hyped up that way, get some base going. I don't have a solution for your server needs, all I can say is without a base already liking your stuff, a patreon won't help much

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

22 hours ago, Meandia said:

So, I am a game developer and my team's financial status is not really so good.

My idea was to make a subscription based forum, that for example you pay 10$ and get a lifetime subscription.

At this forum, we will have polls etc letting the forum members choose for example how they want the map to be like, what factions should models be on etc.

I have made a beta version of what I want to do under (<Link Removed>) but I still don't know if you guys find it interesting.

As you can understand I think this would be a lot cooler than just launching an IndieGoGo campaign and giving out t-shirts in reward tiers with no point.

Looking forward to your replies down below!

A game’s forums represent a small but vocal negative minority. You won’t get good feedback from there

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

On 8/7/2018 at 6:34 AM, Meandia said:

As @BluJay614 stated, Patreon gives you funding, not just capital.  A lifetime subscription is convenient for the user, but it's not on-going income for you.  (Patreon is also more likely to keep people engaged; a one-time purchase can be easily forgotten, especially if something is delayed.)