Ubiquiti Security Gateway PRO

Hi Guys

Looking at getting a new router for work and have being thinking about the Ubiquiti Security Gateway PRO 4 Port Router.

After watching the Live steam and the WAN show from last weekend and Linus saying they overloaded there worries me. 

If anyone uses one and can let me know how well it works or if you have had any problems with it.

If someone from LMG reads this and could clarify if Linus killed the Ubiquiti Security Gateway PRO you guys used for you router that would be awesome.

Thanks

Ubiquiti has been hit or miss for me in terms of the USG, although I have the standard 3P model.  Their OS bugs are more frustrating than their hardware though.  When it works, it works well.  They've got a lot of high level features at not a super high price.

yeah thats why im looking at it, we have a router at the moment that we need to buy bunch of license for and the cost of them is more then buying a Ubiquiti Security Gateway PRO so im thinking about doing that.

ill keep in mind about there software being looking at reviews and so many are reviews based on an hour with the product not so much the long term use of it.

Thanks

From what I remember seeing they didn't kill it so much as they just overloaded the CPU which would suggest they were most likely hitting it with too many connections per second and the box just crashed trying to populate the tables.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

yeah thats what i understood as well but an environment like they have it in if they overloaded it then im guessing no longer useful to them if they know they have hit the limit in there set up

6 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

yeah thats why im looking at it, we have a router at the moment that we need to buy bunch of license for and the cost of them is more then buying a Ubiquiti Security Gateway PRO so im thinking about doing that.

ill keep in mind about there software being looking at reviews and so many are reviews based on an hour with the product not so much the long term use of it.

Thanks

Keep in mind unless the USG Pro is different that you'll need to run the controller software running on a computer (or their cloud key) to properly manage it aside from CLI.

yeah i am aware i have a cloud key, switch and ap at home from ubiquiti but have only had them for bout 3 weeks so not long enough to base a long term decision on for work and i dont have the router. but thanks 

I had bought a USG Pro, but I unfortunately found out there's a defect with some batches of the router that will cause it to crash. It causes the USG Pro to reboot randomly and(or) loop in rebooting. I ended up refunding mine and getting a EdgeRouter 4. I liked the UniFi system, but the USG Pro I can't recommend because of the potential memory issue (The fix was to get a different stick of RAM, but I figured since the edgerouter 4 wasn't too far away from launch I should just get that). I do think the new units are unaffected and that it was me having a stroke of bad luck, but I'm still weary since the below thread is still ongoing.

See thread here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-Pro-4-Restarting-every-2-days/td-p/1563145

5 hours ago, joshfrog said:

Thanks i wasnt aware of that problem i will have to look into it

9 times out of 10 when someone says the [insert network equipment] is overloaded it just means that it's not able to keep up with line speed. 

If you load snort on your edge router, or have a hole bunch of VPN's or Run a bunch of processes that can't be offloaded (to dedicated hardware), unless your dropping $0,000's on your router the processor wont be able to keep up with the line speed.

If on the other hand, your router is not doing any fancy routing, (i.e. it's doing RIPv1 or static routing), it'll likely match lines speeds.

12 hours ago, joshfrog said:

Thanks i wasnt aware of that problem i will have to look into it

Yeah, also in addition to the above, enabling IPS (Intrusion Prevent System) on UniFi will tank the router's throughput. USG gets crippled to 80 Mb/s WAN, and USG Pro gets crippled to 150 Mb/s WAN. Only the really expensive USG XG can do 1Gb/s with IPS enabled.

However, I think most people would be fine without enabling IPS, but it's nice to know it's there.