anybody agree that gaming laptops are the worst?

i've owned a gaming laptop so did my brother, cousin and my friends and it costed us alot of money a few years ago around $1000-3000 and non of us use it, some have it to just brows the net, others (like my self) kept it in my closet, never to be used 

i dont know whats up with gaming laptops, the first time you buy it their amazing and just a few months of use it degrades really fast being slow using the net or gaming, giving very low fps 

why do laptops suck after period of time? more quickly then a desktop?

5 minutes ago, saif96 said:

why do laptops suck after period of time? more quickly then a desktop

Comes down to cooling in my view. A lot less space for stuff to cool down in short periods of time so naturally stuff will wear faster. Solution is to have more height/girth to the laptop base but then it becomes bulky and thus taking away from the laptop part of it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

laptops need smaller more power efficient hardware which makes them more expensive and worst than desktop hardware

the older gaming laptops I agree with that statement they did suck, because the GPUs in them where 980m which was about as powerful as a 960, and that was the best gaming card possible for a laptop, where as in a laptop now the mobile and the desktops cards are practically the same so they are no longer holding you back so that is not the excuse now, the only diffrence now is the CPU but even that isn't too bad as they are powerful enough for gaming etc.

So in summary new gaming laptops hold their grounds vs desktop and are goods, but old ones due to their worse GPUs with minimal performance which outdated themselves quickly (got to remember the 980M was the highest end of the mobile cards, most gaming laptops would have a 960M (149% slower than the 980M) or a 970M (32% slower) which means that they have quickly became out of date slow and bad performers vs desktop

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

The gaming laptop I bought a year and a half ago was a bit rubbish certainly... I7 6700HQ + GTX 965m = fuck all battery.

Not to mention that, whether I ran windows 10 or Linux, there are GPU issues... On Linux there is image corruption effects after sleep mode, on windows I had a diagonal line running through the screen (i.e. as though there was no vsync, except it persisted whether vsync was on or not) whenver playing a 3D game.

I think I'll stick to gaming on desktops... The high-end CPU has been good though for programing (i.e. my algorithms unit where I spent 3 hours running a 10^1 - 10^6 element bubble sort and 5 minutes running a 10^1 - 10^9 multithreaded quicksort).

Pretty much what was said above about cooling.  Some things that help would be a cooling pad and not playing it on a soft surface like a bed.  It is very easy to accidentally block the cooling vents on the case and make bad cooling worse.

i had a 7567 7700hq 1050ti and i loved it. Tho, that was my first gaming laptop. If you do not like gaming on a laptop then it is not the laptop's problem, you just haven't done your due dilligence on the drawbacks about them, like the screen, power and cost. Unless you need a cabaple machine and do not mind some bulck, a decent machine can be had for 1000usd. Some other people like me benefit more from a desktop and a small laptop on the side.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

It really depends on what your needs are. If you are constantly on the move, then a gaming laptop makes more sense if you want power on the go. Of course, you should make sure that you get something with decent cooling so you're not throttling the thing. If you're staying at home most of the time, then a desktop makes more sense.

However I wouldn't call gaming laptops the worst. My last two laptops were all gaming oriented, my last one no bigger than a typical multimedia laptop. My current one is just another iteration of my last one. All three laptops served me well for what they do.

Just now, IAnthonyFX said:

i had a 7567 7700hq 1050ti and i loved it. Tho, that was my first gaming laptop. If you do not like gaming on a laptop then it is not the laptop's problem, you just haven't done your due dilligence on the drawbacks about them, like the screen, power and cost. Unless you need a cabaple machine and do not mind some bulck, a decent machine can be had for 1000usd. Most other people like will benefit more from a desktop and a small laptop on the side.

The Inspiron 7567 with an IPS screen was probably the unicorn I was looking for.

But then they came out with the 7577 and I figured losing out a bit of battery life was fine.

There's nothing wrong with gaming laptops. I had one for 3 years. i never had any issues with it. i eventually sold it because i finally had enough space to set up a proper desktop.

if yours was slowing down after a few months, you either got a really bad one, or someone was installing stuff of it and getting malware/viruses.

If you already have a decent desktop, then there is no point to a gaming laptop, which is why im guessing you no longer use it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It really depends on what your needs are. If you are constantly on the move, then a gaming laptop makes more sense if you want power on the go. Of course, you should make sure that you get something with decent cooling so you're not throttling the thing. If you're staying at home most of the time, then a desktop makes more sense.

However I wouldn't call gaming laptops the worst. My last two laptops were all gaming oriented, my last one no bigger than a typical multimedia laptop. My current one is just another iteration of my last one. All three laptops served me well for what they do.

The Inspiron 7567 with an IPS screen was probably the unicorn I was looking for.

But then they came out with the 7577 and I figured losing out a bit of battery life was fine.

i got lucky a year ago and got it for 800 tax included with a 128gb ssd, 1tb hdd 16gb ram and ips display. But i had to let her go in favour of my pc 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL