So is No Man's Sky worth a buy now?

mattdmg

I've been hearing about No Man's Sky since its release and we all know how that went. But I have still been very lightly following their progress with content patches for their game and people are saying now that this game has finally gotten to a point where they're saying this is how it should've been on launch (1.0). I am impressed with the studio for sticking to their product and improving it rather than taking the money and abandoning it. Definitely a good shot at redeeming positive PR. 

I see now they've come out with a new content patch, the game is half off, and it has peaked at 97k concurrent players on Steam. Is it worth a buy now? 

It is much improved over release and a lot more content has been promised down the line on top of the huge update they just released. So I'd say yes, especially if it's on sale.

I've been enjoying diving back into it with all the improvements that's for sure.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Its improved a lot, and if youre generally interested I'd say go for it. Theres quite a bit to do now.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

A lot of people thought it was worth it at launch but it’s mostly your opinion. It’s closer to the major promises (multiplayer, base building) now so if you don’t have a grudge, yes. I don’t have it but that’s because I’m poor. 

Yes.

And they should be rewarded for sticking to it.

Honestly, I wouldn't give them shit. Even if they finally developed the game into, you know, what it was advertised as, they still fucked everyone over about two years ago and it infuriated me at launch.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

This is a game where the number of people playing it on Steam really doesn't matter. There isn't really that much of a multiplayer element to it; I mean, it exists, but IMO it was always meant as more of a single player game. I have it, I reinstalled it, and I got frustrated almost immediately. Got stuck on a planet where I died within a minute of spawning into the game. Also, I couldn't find anywhere in the key bindings how to change from third to first person. I haven't bothered starting it up again, but I might take a gander at it after the Global Event in The Division is over.

I'm pretty sure it was Sony's fault that it was launched in the state it was. Push push push.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

This is a game where the number of people playing it on Steam really doesn't matter. There isn't really that much of a multiplayer element to it; I mean, it exists, but IMO it was always meant as more of a single player game. I have it, I reinstalled it, and I got frustrated almost immediately. Got stuck on a planet where I died within a minute of spawning into the game. Also, I couldn't find anywhere in the key bindings how to change from third to first person. I haven't bothered starting it up again, but I might take a gander at it after the Global Event in The Division is over.

I'm pretty sure it was Sony's fault that it was launched in the state it was. Push push push.

You change perspective by going into the quick toolbar with x and then to settings where you change player perspective

fyi if you play it in the future

18 hours ago, mattdmg said:

You change perspective by going into the quick toolbar with x and then to settings where you change player perspective

fyi if you play it in the future

Yeah, I looked it up but by then I had already exited and went back to grinding GE points :P

Thanks though! Did you end up buying it? I think $35 (what it is in Canada) is still pretty expensive. I'd almost wait and see if it comes up on the Steam Sale in the winter, unless you really need a game to play.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yes, I have 1.8 hours on it and I am thinking about refunding it. Like you've said, I've seen it cheaper at $24 and I might wait for one more content update (I think they said they're doing more). So if I can get it cheaper in the Halloween, Fall, or Winter Steam sale with more content then that's a win-win for me. 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I think $35 (what it is in Canada) is still pretty expensive. 

I like how you say that you think $35 for a game is expensive. Reminds me of a video I watched regarding if the longtime-standard $60 game price should be increased due to inflation. And I thought that idea was dumb and it made me laugh because they really don't need to be close to that expensive. In the last several years I've also had to think long and hard about spending even a mere $30 when I used to spend $60 (+ DLC usually) on games left and right with no thought back in my Xbox days. Nowadays there are so many games that have so much more value than a generic $60 game. 

But anyway, I can't remember the last time I spent $60 on a game just due to so many more options out there that are cheaper and have more hours you can get out of it. Being on PC and having Steam sales also helped me get used to low game prices. 

I get they may be expensive to develop usually but there are ways to make games that are fun and not that expensive to develop. Even EA is starting to catch on with where the consumers' minds are starting to head as they're boasting a $60 price tag on BF5 which includes all DLC and such.

16 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

Yes, I have 1.8 hours on it and I am thinking about refunding it. Like you've said, I've seen it cheaper at $24 and I might wait for one more content update (I think they said they're doing more). So if I can get it cheaper in the Halloween, Fall, or Winter Steam sale with more content then that's a win-win for me. 

I like how you say that you think $35 for a game is expensive. Reminds me of a video I watched regarding if the longtime-standard $60 game price should be increased due to inflation. And I thought that idea was dumb and it made me laugh because they really don't need to be close to that expensive. In the last several years I've also had to think long and hard about spending even a mere $30 when I used to spend $60 (+ DLC usually) on games left and right with no thought back in my Xbox days. Nowadays there are so many games that have so much more value than a generic $60 game. 

But anyway, I can't remember the last time I spent $60 on a game just due to so many more options out there that are cheaper and have more hours you can get out of it. Being on PC and having Steam sales also helped me get used to low game prices. 

I get they may be expensive to develop usually but there are ways to make games that are fun and not that expensive to develop. Even EA is starting to catch on with where the consumers' minds are starting to head as they're boasting a $60 price tag on BF5 which includes all DLC and such.

If it were a new title I wouldn't think it was expensive. But when a game reaches a certain age (this one's what, almost three years old?) I do find they tend to lose value.

I know that cost vs hours of entertainment is quite low when it comes to a video game, but at the same time,

I buy games at full price very rarely, because at launch most games are betas at best. The Division and No Man's Sky were the last two games I bought on launch; both were so horribly flawed that they didn't reach their prime until years later. If they're going to operate that way, they don't deserve the full asking price.

Granted, part of that can be blamed on the youth; instant gratification is becoming somewhat of an issue in many aspects of life, as well as short attention spans.

EA only boasts like that because they know they're going to make many times what game sales are in micro transactions :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

If it were a new title I wouldn't think it was expensive. But when a game reaches a certain age (this one's what, almost three years old?) I do find they tend to lose value.

Still, they've put a lot of work into updates. $30 today is much more reasonable than $60 at launch.

Don't give those lying cunts any of your hard earned. Avoid.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530