XPS 13 Vs XPS 15

I am looking to purchase a Dell XPS laptop for college. I am trying to decided between a Dell XPS 13 InfinityEdge Display (4K Touch/8th Gen i5-8250U Quad-Core Processor/8GB (DDR3)/Intel UHD 620/256GB/Win 10 Home) and a Dell XPS 15 (Non-Touch/8th Gen i7-8750H Quad-Core Processor/8GB(DDR4)/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5/256GB/Win 10). I know my fair share on computers, since i will be majoring in computer engineering, so I'm looking for more of a suggestion based on experience from a college student, rather than a hardware vs hardware response. Yes, i plan to play some games on it, but nothing more intensive than DBD or CSGO. Does anyone have a suggestion on which model would be better. Also, with the pricing I would receive the models would cost the same amount, 1400 usd.

note: I plan yo use an external 1080p monitor in my dorm room along with a TV, so the touch screen would be used mostly out of the dorm. 

XPS 13.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Preferred weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I think XPS 15 is a better choice

Since you major in CS,I think you wil need a better CPU for heavy processing,so i would suggest XPS 15

(come from a student major in EE)

1 hour ago, OliverGone said:

I think XPS 15 is a better choice

Thermal issue, can't even handle an i5 8300H properly in medium load

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Thermal issue, can't even handle an i5 8300H properly in medium load

OMG,I forget it...

But however, I still think XPS 15 with i7-8750H will have a better performance...

I'm just a freshman of computer,so if there is anything wrong,please correct it for me.

Thanks a lot :)

18 hours ago, Hillmdog said:

I am looking to purchase a Dell XPS laptop for college. I am trying to decided between a Dell XPS 13 InfinityEdge Display (4K Touch/8th Gen i5-8250U Quad-Core Processor/8GB (DDR3)/Intel UHD 620/256GB/Win 10 Home) and a Dell XPS 15 (Non-Touch/8th Gen i7-8750H Quad-Core Processor/8GB(DDR4)/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5/256GB/Win 10). I know my fair share on computers, since i will be majoring in computer engineering, so I'm looking for more of a suggestion based on experience from a college student, rather than a hardware vs hardware response. Yes, i plan to play some games on it, but nothing more intensive than DBD or CSGO. Does anyone have a suggestion on which model would be better. Also, with the pricing I would receive the models would cost the same amount, 1400 usd.

note: I plan yo use an external 1080p monitor in my dorm room along with a TV, so the touch screen would be used mostly out of the dorm. 

If you don't need power to perform very heavy tasks I think getting the XPS 13 makes more sense. Also the 4K display is likely to eat up more battery life and 1080p is more than fine for even a 15.6 inch display so it will be sufficient for the 13 inch XPS. If you plan to run more intensive programs(names please???) the i7-8750H will throttle but with some undervolting and maybe repaste you can improve your performance a bit, but do remember it is still a very bad cooling design and VRMs are not capable of sending that much power to the CPU.

7 minutes ago, OliverGone said:

OMG,I forget it...

But however, I still think XPS 15 with i7-8750H will have better performance...

I'm just a freshman of computer,so if there is anything wrong,please correct it for me.

Thanks a lot :)

It will have better performance on some workloads but increased temperatures will reduce life of CPU and you are not getting the performance you paid for not to mention you will be sacrificing battery life.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:30 PM, Hillmdog said:

I own a 9370 i7, 16GB, 512GB, UHD 4K and I have owned a 9560 i7 16GB, 512GB, FHD.  Both are great computers and both will be able to do the tasks you require, however since you are planning on using a monitor I would say get the 9370, since it will be easier to lug it around (2.67lbs vs 4.5lbs) and it's surface area is tiny and feels like a 12" laptop with a 13" screen.  You could say the same thing for the 9570 a 15" laptop with a 14" body but size wise it's a bit big for some of those classroom desks if you plan on taking notes with it.

I will say the 4K Touch screen is totally not worth it.  I only got it with my 9370 since it was the only configuration offered at the store, but it only adds to the cost and kills battery.  The FHD 9370 or 9570 should both get 7+ hours of battery (probably closer to 10 for the 9370).  The 4K version of the 9370 gets 6 hours max and that's with Youtube, Excel, and just browsing the internet at 50% brightness.  

but I wouldn't blame you for getting a 9570, since you can always upgrade the ram down the line, but honestly 8GB should be fine getting your through college

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"