best cooling option for the i7-8700k?

kingblook

this is my first build and i've looked at a lot of cooling options but i'm not sure what to go with. i've heard that the i7-8700k runs pretty hot. i've seen a few people say that air cooling is fine if you aren't overclocking it too hard. the problem is, i have no idea how much i'll overclock it. i'm pretty sure that i won't go over the turbo speed (4.7 GHz), but i'm still not sure what type of cooler to use. i know liquid cooling is definitely one of the best options for an overclocking cpu, but since this is my first build i'm not sure i'm comfortable with it. it's not just leaks that i'm worried about, but from the reviews i've read, the pumps seem to break pretty often. so i'd prefer an air cooler, but again, i don't know if air cooling will do enough when i'm overclocking.

i know that delidding the cpu is also a good way to get the temps down, but i'm even more uncomfortable with that than with liquid cooling. maybe later down the road when i'm more comfortable with pcs i'd consider it, but for now it's basically off limits.

i was considering getting the noctua nh-d15, but after looking at completed builds with that cooler, i've decided that i just can't stand the look. and when i'm already paying $90 for the cooler, i don't want to spend an extra $30-60 dollars on chromax parts just to make it match the rest of my case. but i might just deal with it being ugly if it's the best option.

tl;dr - i need an air cooler (preferably other than the noctua nh-d15) that can effectively cool the i7-8700k. water cooling isn't off limits but i'm not keen on using it since this is my first build. feel free to convince me that water cooling is the best option though.

Dark Rock Pro 4. Top end Air coolers match high end AIO's so it's really between cost and looks. As for overclocking if you're not gonna oc it past turbo I wouldn't do it anyways but if you wanna do it for the learning experience or something then go ahead. Make sure everything fits in nicely and there won't be any components getting in the way of each other (like if the air cooler will actually fit in your case as well as ram clearance and whatnot)

poop

Air cooling is plenty for oc'ing. 

Where are you shopping / located? What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

45 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Air cooling is plenty for oc'ing. 

Where are you shopping / located? What case and ram are you using?

i'm definitely doing most of my shopping online. the only parts i'm gonna grab in person will either be from my local best buy or micro center, but (for a majority of the parts) the prices are higher in stores than they are on amazon and newegg.

i'm most likely getting the corsair 275r tempered glass case, and i plan on getting 2x8gb corsair vengeance RAM.

a dark rock 4 or the cryorig ultimate r1 or h1 or whatever1. i would recommend a 240 aio like a h100 or a clc 240, the pumps dont actually break that often and look. cool.

6 minutes ago, kingblook said:

i'm definitely doing most of my shopping online. the only parts i'm gonna grab in person will either be from my local best buy or micro center, but (for a majority of the parts) the prices are higher in stores than they are on amazon and newegg.

i'm most likely getting the corsair 275r tempered glass case, and i plan on getting 2x8gb corsair vengeance RAM.

Mugen 5 is great: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q9QRsY/scythe-mugen-5-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5000

If you need something with a black top, a Macho Rev. B is a similar alternative that sits a bit closer the dimm slots. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

These two are very quiet but the DRP4 is a bit quieter for a bit more but might overhang the ram and cover the RGB. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Mugen 5 is great: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q9QRsY/scythe-mugen-5-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5000

If you need something with a black top, a Macho Rev. B is a similar alternative that sits a bit closer the dimm slots. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

These two are very quiet but the DRP4 is a bit quieter for a bit more but might overhang the ram and cover the RGB. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

probably gonna go with the dark rock pro 4. i like the looks of it a lot. thanks for all the suggestions!

9 hours ago, kingblook said:

i'm definitely doing most of my shopping online.

That doesn't give much answer to question :D This being international forum.

... best buy or micro center, but (for a majority of the parts) the prices are higher in stores than they are on amazon and newegg.

So its great that you specify US.

Is that normal Vengeance (LPX), LED, RGB or RGB Pro? Dark Rock 4 Pro will overhang 1st RAM slot, and fan will cover all but 4th. You need to lift fan if you are using anything but LPX. 9mm for LED, 4mm for RGB (this might fit under fins) and 11mm for RGB Pro (this will might not fit the case). Or you can move fan to other side to clear slots 2&3 with 1st still covered by fins.

Dark Rock 4 will have much less issues. Only fan might cover something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have my 8700K at 5Ghz and my EVGA CLC280 keeps it nice and cool. The hottest I've seen it get is around 77C, but that's with an ambient temp of about 24C. On a nice cool day, I see it hover around 60-66C while gaming. I've been using AIO coolers since my first build and haven't looked back. I just stick with reputable companies and no problems since. Plus, most all AIO look pretty damn cool. I'd totally run a Noctua D15 but it so hard to run taller ram and the fans are hideous but work really well. But, that just my opinion. 

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Is that normal Vengeance (LPX), LED, RGB or RGB Pro? Dark Rock 4 Pro will overhang 1st RAM slot, and fan will cover all but 4th. You need to lift fan if you are using anything but LPX. 9mm for LED, 4mm for RGB (this might fit under fins) and 11mm for RGB Pro (this will might not fit the case). Or you can move fan to other side to clear slots 2&3 with 1st still covered by fins.

Dark Rock 4 will have much less issues. Only fan might cover something.

i was planning on getting the normal lpx, but part of me does want the rgb ram. sounds like the fan would overhang/block it even if i raised the fan though, so i'm not sure it's worth it. i'll definitely look at the dark rock 4 too

3 hours ago, aHappyPug said:

I have my 8700K at 5Ghz and my EVGA CLC280 keeps it nice and cool. The hottest I've seen it get is around 77C, but that's with an ambient temp of about 24C. On a nice cool day, I see it hover around 60-66C while gaming. I've been using AIO coolers since my first build and haven't looked back. I just stick with reputable companies and no problems since. Plus, most all AIO look pretty damn cool. I'd totally run a Noctua D15 but it so hard to run taller ram and the fans are hideous but work really well. But, that just my opinion. 

honestly, water cooling is very tempting. i like the aesthetics of it a lot. but i don't know what i'd do if it ever leaked, i know it's not common but it feels like a risk i don't want to take. but hearing that you've never had a problem with it, even in your first build, does reassure me a little bit!

2 hours ago, kingblook said:

honestly, water cooling is very tempting. i like the aesthetics of it a lot. but i don't know what i'd do if it ever leaked, i know it's not common but it feels like a risk i don't want to take. but hearing that you've never had a problem with it, even in your first build, does reassure me a little bit!

You should definitely give it a try. The most major brand I know, Corsair, NZXT, and EVGA have a great warranty in place and their products have the R&D so you don't buy a leaky system. I remember reading somewhere, the chances of buying a defunct AIO is 0.5%.

These companies stand by their product. If they leak due to user error, then yes they won't cover it. But they will do an investigation. If it turns out a leak was due to manufacturer defect then they will cover hardware too. It's not unheard of.

I have a Corsair H100i running every day for the last 5 years without issue. I'll probably upgrade it due to "wear". But, the product has been solid.

1 hour ago, aHappyPug said:

You should definitely give it a try. The most major brand I know, Corsair, NZXT, and EVGA have a great warranty in place and their products have the R&D so you don't buy a leaky system. I remember reading somewhere, the chances of buying a defunct AIO is 0.5%.

These companies stand by their product. If they leak due to user error, then yes they won't cover it. But they will do an investigation. If it turns out a leak was due to manufacturer defect then they will cover hardware too. It's not unheard of.

I have a Corsair H100i running every day for the last 5 years without issue. I'll probably upgrade it due to "wear". But, the product has been solid.

i've actually heard that before about corsair, that they replace all damaged hardware as long as it was a defective product. which also makes me feel much better about trying liquid cooling. on amazon the h100i v2 is on sale for the same price as the air cooler i was gonna get in the first place, so i might as well look into it. 

On 7/29/2018 at 6:26 PM, kingblook said:

i've actually heard that before about corsair, that they replace all damaged hardware as long as it was a defective product. which also makes me feel much better about trying liquid cooling. on amazon the h100i v2 is on sale for the same price as the air cooler i was gonna get in the first place, so i might as well look into it. 

Do it! Can't go wrong, and you will be happy that you did. But, then again the Noctua is an amazing cooler too! In the end its all up to you and what makes you happy. Honestly, either way you can't go wrong. Each product has their pros and cons. You just have to pick one that fits your needs.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, kingblook said:

this is my first build and i've looked at a lot of cooling options but i'm not sure what to go with. i've heard that the i7-8700k runs pretty hot. i've seen a few people say that air cooling is fine if you aren't overclocking it too hard. the problem is, i have no idea how much i'll overclock it. i'm pretty sure that i won't go over the turbo speed (4.7 GHz), but i'm still not sure what type of cooler to use. i know liquid cooling is definitely one of the best options for an overclocking cpu, but since this is my first build i'm not sure i'm comfortable with it. it's not just leaks that i'm worried about, but from the reviews i've read, the pumps seem to break pretty often. so i'd prefer an air cooler, but again, i don't know if air cooling will do enough when i'm overclocking.

i know that delidding the cpu is also a good way to get the temps down, but i'm even more uncomfortable with that than with liquid cooling. maybe later down the road when i'm more comfortable with pcs i'd consider it, but for now it's basically off limits.

i was considering getting the noctua nh-d15, but after looking at completed builds with that cooler, i've decided that i just can't stand the look. and when i'm already paying $90 for the cooler, i don't want to spend an extra $30-60 dollars on chromax parts just to make it match the rest of my case. but i might just deal with it being ugly if it's the best option.

tl;dr - i need an air cooler (preferably other than the noctua nh-d15) that can effectively cool the i7-8700k. water cooling isn't off limits but i'm not keen on using it since this is my first build. feel free to convince me that water cooling is the best option though.

If I were you, I would like to get Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT!

Cheaper, more quiet, yet same performance as NH-D15 in some reviews, really macho heatsink yet good clearance to other components and lower the height for the sake of case compatibility, and it's only 1060 grams for huge cooler, compared to other +1200 grams coolers for the sake of motherboard integrity.

eL Macho

1386355617000-2415-FPF-00246R.jpeg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: