Don't have an activated version of Windows 10, but the watermark is annoying?

So recently I've built my very first gaming PC, I didn't buy any key for windows yet, as I don't really feel the need for it as of right now.

Normally when you do not activate Windows, you get a watermark in the bottom of your screen, however I didn't get this the first time I booted into my freshly built PC, which confused me but I didn't mind. A day later when I booted it it did show me the watermark.

I realised it might have had something to do with the BIOS, because I booted into the BIOS the first time I booted my PC and I went straight to windows when I booted up my PC the next day.

I tried to replicate the process by spamming my delete key, hopping into the BIOS and then exiting the BIOS and loading into windows... It worked! (for me at least) and it still does work.

It's only temporarily though, since the watermark does appear after a few hours of using the computer.

You'll just have to trust me on this, since I would include proof, but I don't feel like blurring out all my private information.

If you would like to use Windows 10 without using a license key, you want a legit version of windows (not cracked) and you don't want a watermark follow these easy steps:

- Shut down your PC (if it is on)

- Boot your PC and enter the BIOS (Probably press the power button on your PC and then just spam the delete key)

- Exit the BIOS without shutting down the PC and load up Windows by doing that. (On an MSI Motherboard there is probably an exit button in the top of the screen)

Disclaimer: This might not work for you, it could be dependant on the motherboard or any other factors.

The watermark isn't a big deal, and the customization lock is easily bypassed via regedit. Don't think theres any need to go further than that if one really is keen on not giving Microsoft money, certainly no need to break forum rules either.

On my secondary system that I attempted to upgrade from Home to Professional using an old MSDN key I had, it allowed the upgrade, but refused to activate the key after, so I had the watermark for some time. Rebooting made it disappear for a short time (about an hour or two). Couldn't justify paying literally double the cost of this system for a license, and I didn't feel like doing a complete reinstall, so I left it as is. 

When I updated Windows to some 2018 build though (still Professional), for some reason it ended up being activated via digital license. No idea why it activated out of the blue on a formerly inactivated store

Edit: There is a bit of a missed opportunity for Microsoft here though. If unlicensed Windows is locked to only running apps from Microsoft's store, Microsoft would still be getting their money either way.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Rather than whining about unactivated windows giving you trouble, just go to kinguin and get a windows key for cheap. Here, I'll link you to a nice, cheap windows 10 key.

https://www.kinguin.net/category/22175/windows-10-home-oem-key/

I mean come on, £21 is nothing for a windows key considering it's normally over £100.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.