Speakers for my new setup: Soundbar vs monitors vs computer speakers? Help please

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I finished my new build and setup. Built an itx pc on a Ml08 and got a 55 inch 4k tv. So far I am loving it and gaming at native 4k at 60fps on a 55 inch screen is really something.

But now I am debating with sound. At the moment I just have the pc connected by HDMI to the TV and I am using the TV speakers.

The TV is a Sony Xe90. While it doesn't have terrible sound, it is not good either, so I am looking at improving it.

I don't want to break the bank and I don't want to get a complicated system with a receiver and lots of speakers.

So I am looking at either getting a 2.1 or 3.1 soundbar or getting a pair of studio monitors to have a 2.0 setup with each speaker on the side of the TV. The final option is to get a 2.1 pc system like the logitech z625.

But I don't know what would be better. The usage would be 70% gaming and 30% movies and Netflix shows.

I am a complete newbie in audio setups, so I am looking for some help.

Thank you. Cheers

3 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Hello, how are you?

I finished my new build and setup. Built an itx pc on a Ml08 and got a 55 inch 4k tv. So far I am loving it and gaming at native 4k at 60fps on a 55 inch screen is really something.

But now I am debating with sound. At the moment I just have the pc connected by HDMI to the TV and I am using the TV speakers.

The TV is a Sony Xe90. While it doesn't have terrible sound, it is not good either, so I am looking at improving it.

I don't want to break the bank and I don't want to get a complicated system with a receiver and lots of speakers.

So I am looking at either getting a 2.1 or 3.1 soundbar or getting a pair of studio monitors to have a 2.0 setup with each speaker on the side of the TV. The final option is to get a 2.1 pc system like the logitech z625.

But I don't know what would be better. The usage would be 70% gaming and 30% movies and Netflix shows.

I am a complete newbie in audio setups, so I am looking for some help.

Thank you. Cheers

Sounds like a great setup, could you elaborate on what doesn't break the bank for you?  There is a lot of options and it would help me recommend something to you without going over your budget.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Sounds like a great setup, could you elaborate on what doesn't break the bank for you?  There is a lot of options and it would help me recommend something to you without going over your budget.

Thanks

HI, 

I am from Portugal, so EU prices. 
I am looking to spend around 200 euros and 300 is my top budget at the moment.

Cheers 

I don’t know if this helps much but I just bought myself a Polk Audio Surroundbar 5000 for $250 (cad) instead of $599 (cad) because it was open box at a shop called “Visions”. It’s a nice kit that comes with a subwoofer as well. I just can’t believe how much speaker I got for only $250. I know how underwhelming cheaper sound bars can be, sometimes you can’t even tell the difference with your TV. 

My point is, don’t ever buy brand new speakers online. Get out there, look for clearance/open box items in stores or buy used. You won’t have to search very long and you’ll easily get something good for half the price. This may be counter intuitive because you’re basically ignoring reviews and buying something you know nothing about. But you can trust your ears I suppose. 

For simplicity, even though it makes me a bit physically sick, I'd say a sound bar.

Studio monitors require interfaces and a lot more hassle for someone who's less knowledgeable. And their expensive, unless you get crappy Rokits or something.

The Logitechs can be decent, but... I'd still say soundbar.

Any setup you get you'll probably want a bass woofer to go with it, which adds a lot to the cost of Studio monitors.

Honestly, I myself prefer an AVR with surround sound, a decent stereo one works well too. The higher snobs would scoff at me, but I got a Yamaha 5.1 setup with AVR+speakers for ~$350 that I'm pretty damn happy with, and when games use surround sound right there's no beating it.

I do know that a lot of soundbars have a woofer, and some even have little wireless surrounds, so you don't need to trace wires all around... except for power...

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, Gdourado said:

HI, 

I am from Portugal, so EU prices. 
I am looking to spend around 200 euros and 300 is my top budget at the moment.

Cheers 

There are some powered stereo speakers such as the Micca PB42X which are great little speakers but it would make it difficult to add a subwoofer..

This would be my suggestion for your setup:

SMSL AD18  2.1 Amp:

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532749377&sr=8-3&keywords=smsl+ad18

Micca MB42X Passive Speakers:, ( I own a pair of these and the imaging for desktop / near field setups is fantastic really worth a look at.)

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532749515&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=micca+mb42x&psc=1

Entry level powered subwoofer:

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Audio-PSW-6-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B002AT94HE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532749687&sr=1-2&keywords=powered%2Bsubwoofer&th=1

I would personally just get the amp + a set of passive speakers & then look for a subwoofer in your local classifieds such as craigslist, alot of people sell home theater subwoofers for very cheap and you could probably pick something decent for 50-100.00$.

Cheers

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

For simplicity, even though it makes me a bit physically sick, I'd say a sound bar.

Studio monitors require interfaces and a lot more hassle for someone who's less knowledgeable. And their expensive, unless you get crappy Rokits or something.

The Logitechs can be decent, but... I'd still say soundbar.

Any setup you get you'll probably want a bass woofer to go with it, which adds a lot to the cost of Studio monitors.

Honestly, I myself prefer an AVR with surround sound, a decent stereo one works well too. The higher snobs would scoff at me, but I got a Yamaha 5.1 setup with AVR+speakers for ~$350 that I'm pretty damn happy with, and when games use surround sound right there's no beating it.

I do know that a lot of soundbars have a woofer, and some even have little wireless surrounds, so you don't need to trace wires all around... except for power...

The issue is that $100~$200 sound bars kinda suck...You’d have to get a $500 unit that’s discounted. Get it used or on sale. And it’s always better with a subwoofer.

13 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The issue is that $100~$200 sound bars kinda suck...You’d have to get a $500 unit that’s discounted. Get it used or on sale. And it’s always better with a subwoofer.

Agreed, but it's the easiest, cheapest setup that isn't just Logitech speakers.

I've been pretty consistently impressed by what Yamaha offers for cheap though.

#Muricaparrotgang

23 hours ago, Gdourado said:

I don't want to get a complicated system with a receiver and lots of speakers.

Too bad. Best sound for me is optical out to a 5.1 home theater system bought used for under $100.

Uh oh, sounds like someone sneaking up behind me!

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

56 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Too bad. Best sound for me is optical out to a 5.1 home theater system bought used for under $100.

Uh oh, sounds like someone sneaking up behind me!

Just FYI, HDMI allows for higher quality uncompressed audio if you have it. A used system might be too old though. :P

#Muricaparrotgang

31 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Just FYI, HDMI allows for higher quality uncompressed audio if you have it. A used system might be too old though. :P

Thank you, I did not know that.

And yes my home theater is too old for HDMI.

"Use HDMI when you can. The cables are cheap, and having just one wire simplifies setup. If you can't, optical is fine. If your gear doesn't have HDMI, it can't take advantage of the high-resolution audio formats from Blu-ray anyway (unless you connect with analog, and decode from your Blu-ray player). On the other hand Dolby Digital is surprisingly good, and unless you have decent gear, you probably won't hear much (if any) improvement with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA."

Small point, SPDIF is not compressed, it is of a lesser resolution.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

9 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Thank you, I did not know that.

And yes my home theater is too old for HDMI.

"Use HDMI when you can. The cables are cheap, and having just one wire simplifies setup. If you can't, optical is fine. If your gear doesn't have HDMI, it can't take advantage of the high-resolution audio formats from Blu-ray anyway (unless you connect with analog, and decode from your Blu-ray player). On the other hand Dolby Digital is surprisingly good, and unless you have decent gear, you probably won't hear much (if any) improvement with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA."

Small point, SPDIF is not compressed, it is of a lesser resolution.

SPDIF is uncompressed LPCM stereo. For surround formats it used Dolby Digital or DTS which encodes the data of 6 speakers into the 2 stereo channels. The encoding includes compression.

HDMI and Displayport allow for full uncompressed 7.1 LPCM pass through, which is why the files for it are so much larger. 

Dolby Digital and DTS can be surprisingly good, but the full real deal is better. :P Haven't used an SPDIF for things like games to compare though.

#Muricaparrotgang

• 10 months later...

Tbh For 70% gaming I would recommend you get yourself some decent Pc speakers. Home theater speakers tend to be abit too Bassey and might worsen the gaming experience.

Welcome to have a look here https://www.outeraudio.com/pc-speakers/ maby you will find something that matches your setup?