PSU with I7 8700k and gtx 1080 or 1080ti.

Go to solution Solved by seon123,
42 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

i am purchasing this one, is it good for OC ? and rest of the system performance? is it sufficient ??

As I told you, 450W is plenty with a 1080, 550W for a 1080 Ti. The 650W one won't give you any benefits (unless you like noise, in which case the TX650M is noisier). I've also told you my recommendations, but if none of those are available at decent prices, the TXM is good. 

Hey guys! My PC specifications are :

CPU: i7 8700k
Motherboard: Asus Z370-H gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb
CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9i Air Cooler
HDD: Seagate 2TB Baracuda 7200rpm
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
Gaming Keyboard and Mouse
CASE: Corsair Spec 4 Corsair
Monitor : LED 24inch 1080 (60Hz) ..( soon upgrading to WQHD or UHD monitor)
My Current PSU:Cooler master Gx 550w 80 plus Bronze => http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-550w/

i am soon purchasing a Gtx 1080 or 1080 Ti (Gigabyte , MSI , Asus or Zotac probably)

so i need your suggestion guys whether i should upgrade my current PSU or this is enough for gtx 1080 or 1080 Ti , also considering overclocking in game for this gpu and CPU too..

Your help and suggestion will be appreciated ..
Thanks

Well, I dont know much about CM PSUs but this one seems to be quite inadequate for the 1080/1080ti (quality wise). 550W is enough for 8700k + 1080 but if you will be pushing OC quite a bit and you decide to go for the 1080ti then definitely pick at least 650W unit.

550W would work too but you would be prety close to the max power output.

Not sure how much you want to spend on a PSU but since you are going for such a high end system you may as well spend extra for a good quality. So Seasonic Prime, EVGA G3, Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/AX are a good choice.

For more of a budget option the Corsair CXM should be allright.

Or anything at the very least Tier 3 but prefferably Tier 1 or 2 from this list

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well, I dont know much about CM PSUs but this one seems to be quite inadequate for the 1080/1080ti (quality wise). 550W is enough for 8700k + 1080 but if you will be pushing OC quite a bit and you decide to go for the 1080ti then definitely pick at least 650W unit.

550W would work too but you would be prety close to the max power output.

Not sure how much you want to spend on a PSU but since you are going for such a high end system you may as well spend extra for a good quality. So Seasonic Prime, EVGA G3, Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/AX are a good choice.

For more of a budget option the Corsair CXM should be allright.

ok so u mean to say it is enough for gtx 1080 , if i overclock both cpu and gpu , will it do fine in gaming???

Just now, Uzi1994 said:

ok so u mean to say it is enough for gtx 1080 , if i overclock both cpu and gpu , will it do fine in gaming???

It will do fine but I would not OC anything on your current PSU, it will likely not handle it.

can u suggest a good psu if i need to change this one in terms of overclocking?

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It will do fine but I would not OC anything on your current PSU, it will likely not handle it.

may be a list of psu 4 or 5

Get a Seasonic Focus Gold 650/750 watt PSU.

1 minute ago, Uzi1994 said:

can u suggest a good psu if i need to change this one in terms of overclocking?

Just now, Uzi1994 said:

may be a list of psu 4 or 5

I did post you a tier list, check the original post

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I did post you a tier list, check the original post

thanks

If you absolutely push the cpu and the 1080Ti to their limits on air/water. You can pull 200w through the cpu and a 1080Ti can pull an honest 350w. AFA what will they normally top out at if you don't do anything? 75w on the CPU (dont push avx loads which will be 150w) + 300-315w on a stock 1080Ti.

You figure USB-C can pull another 100w fast charging 5a @ 20v. You can see how things start to snowball down the road. Now, will your 550w PSU simply give up if you pass it's magical 550w rated supply? No. It'll become even less effecient than it is now until it reboots itself for fear of a shunt (black screen reboot).

You'd be better off with another 100-200w and a platinum (or better), but the world will still turn xD

5 minutes ago, Toysrme said:

If you absolutely push the cpu and the 1080Ti to their limits on air/water. You can pull 200w through the cpu and a 1080Ti can pull an honest 350w. AFA what will they normally top out at if you don't do anything? 75w on the CPU (dont push avx loads which will be 150w) + 300-315w on a stock 1080Ti.

You figure USB-C can pull another 100w fast charging 5a @ 20v. You can see how things start to snowball down the road. Now, will your 550w PSU simply give up if you pass it's magical 550w rated supply? No. It'll become even less effecient than it is now until it reboots itself for fear of a shunt (black screen reboot).

You'd be better off with another 100-200w and a platinum (or better), but the world will still turn xD

how about this psu ? what do u say??

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

With a 1080, a good 450W is plenty. With a 1080 Ti, 550W is plenty. This is assuming you won't overclock the CPU with like 1,45V and won't flash a custom BIOS with a removed power limit on the GPU, while running an AVX load and Furmark at the same time. 

If the goal is gaming, you'll draw under 300W with a 1080, and under 400W with a 1080 Ti. Overclocking will increase he pepper draw by ~50-100W. So with a 1080, get a good 450W, with a 1080 Ti, get a good 550W. 

The PSU tier list doesn't take noise into account, if that matters to you. 

My recommendations are, depending on what's available and the prices, the Straight Power 11 450/550W, Whisper M 450/550W, RM550x and Focus Plus Gold 550W. 

For actual pepper draw testing under a gaming load, check Anandtech's review of the 1080 Ti. Their test system uses an overclocked X79 4960X and a platinum efficiency PSU. They measure the wall power draw. 

Spoiler

85968.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

5 hours ago, Toysrme said:

-snip-

DaYOVuiWkAATj6G.jpg

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

With a 1080, a good 450W is plenty. With a 1080 Ti, 550W is plenty. This is assuming you won't overclock the CPU with like 1,45V and won't flash a custom BIOS with a removed power limit on the GPU, while running an AVX load and Furmark at the same time. 

If the goal is gaming, you'll draw under 300W with a 1080, and under 400W with a 1080 Ti. Overclocking will increase he pepper draw by ~50-100W. So with a 1080, get a good 450W, with a 1080 Ti, get a good 550W. 

The PSU tier list doesn't take noise into account, if that matters to you. 

My recommendations are, depending on what's available and the prices, the Straight Power 11 450/550W, Whisper M 450/550W, RM550x and Focus Plus Gold 550W. 

For actual pepper draw testing under a gaming load, check Anandtech's review of the 1080 Ti. Their test system uses an overclocked X79 4960X and a platinum efficiency PSU. They measure the wall power draw. 

Reveal hidden contents

85968.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

DaYOVuiWkAATj6G.jpg

ok i understand it this one too..

But , currently the psu on which i am running this system , will do fine?

I am running this system on COOLER MASTER GX EXTREME SERIES 550W 80+ Bronze certified , this one=> http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-550w

You mean to say i dont have to change my current psu even if i am going to do overclocking of GPU and lil bit CPU???

5 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

ok i understand it this one too..

But , currently the psu on which i am running this system , will do fine?

I am running this system on COOLER MASTER GX EXTREME SERIES 550W 80+ Bronze certified , this one=> http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-550w

You mean to say i dont have to change my current psu even if i am going to do overclocking of GPU and lil bit CPU???

No, the wattage is not the issue. The PSU itself is. This review is from 2011. Meaning the PSU is over 7 years old. It's group regulated, uses not very good caps, a sleeve bearing fan, the transient response is not very good, and it outputs 50mV of ripple on the 12V rail. Since there's a fair chance that at least some of the capacitors have failed, you should replace it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_Bronze/

I've already mentioned which ones I recommend. 

8 hours ago, Uzi1994 said:

Hey guys! My PC specifications are :

CPU: i7 8700k
Motherboard: Asus Z370-H gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb
CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9i Air Cooler
HDD: Seagate 2TB Baracuda 7200rpm
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
Gaming Keyboard and Mouse
CASE: Corsair Spec 4 Corsair
Monitor : LED 24inch 1080 (60Hz) ..( soon upgrading to WQHD or UHD monitor)
My Current PSU:Cooler master Gx 550w 80 plus Bronze => http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-550w/

i am soon purchasing a Gtx 1080 or 1080 Ti (Gigabyte , MSI , Asus or Zotac probably)

so i need your suggestion guys whether i should upgrade my current PSU or this is enough for gtx 1080 or 1080 Ti , also considering overclocking in game for this gpu and CPU too..

Your help and suggestion will be appreciated ..
Thanks

CM GX series aren't good quality IIRC, an upgrade would be recommended specially having seen that you want to OC and some of those powers can provide the labeled power

You should tell us what country yo are from so that we select the best option based on availability and price

In many countries a good 450W costs almost the same as a 650-750W unit so going that high wouldn't hurt too much

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

No, the wattage is not the issue. The PSU itself is. This review is from 2011. Meaning the PSU is over 7 years old. It's group regulated, uses not very good caps, a sleeve bearing fan, the transient response is not very good, and it outputs 50mV of ripple on the 12V rail. Since there's a fair chance that at least some of the capacitors have failed, you should replace it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_Bronze/

I've already mentioned which ones I recommend. 

i am purchasing this one, is it good for OC ? and rest of the system performance? is it sufficient ??

3 hours ago, 17030644 said:

CM GX series aren't good quality IIRC, an upgrade would be recommended specially having seen that you want to OC and some of those powers can provide the labeled power

You should tell us what country yo are from so that we select the best option based on availability and price

In many countries a good 450W costs almost the same as a 650-750W unit so going that high wouldn't hurt too much

I am from Pakistan.

3 hours ago, 17030644 said:

purchasing this one

is it sufficient in performance and oc?

42 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

As I told you, 450W is plenty with a 1080, 550W for a 1080 Ti. The 650W one won't give you any benefits (unless you like noise, in which case the TX650M is noisier). I've also told you my recommendations, but if none of those are available at decent prices, the TXM is good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 3:25 AM, seon123 said:

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-07 at 2.43.28 PM.jpeg