can i use my windows 7 cd key to activate 10?

malaysian gamer

i got a windows 7 cd with product key code. Can i use that activation code on my new pc running on windows 10? Wanna activate my windows 10 using the windows 7 product key.

From what I remember, yes. Just make sure what you redeem corresponds with the version of Windows 10 you're installing.

For reference, Home Premium will activate on 10 Home, while Professional and Ultimate will activate on 10 Pro.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

you can if you upgraded that key to windows 10 back in the time.

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

19 hours ago, ricksteendam1 said:

you can if you upgraded that key to windows 10 back in the time.

upgraded my key? 

19 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

From what I remember, yes. Just make sure what you redeem corresponds with the version of Windows 10 you're installing.

For reference, Home Premium will activate on 10 Home, while Professional and Ultimate will activate on 10 Pro.

ic. 

3 minutes ago, malaysian gamer said:

upgraded my key? 

not anymore back when Windows 10 launched all lads with 7 or 8 got the option to upgrade to windows 10 if you did that then your code is usable for windows 10 activation 

You can do that if you used that key to upgrade to W10 previously, otherwise it might not work, but hey there is no harm in trying anyway! (There is a chance it will work) :)

11 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

not anymore back when Windows 10 launched all lads with 7 or 8 got the option to upgrade to windows 10 if you did that then your code is usable for windows 10 activation 

o that 1. Yes i did update to 10 on the windows 7 code. But now i building a new pc can the code still be used to activate it?

if you did that you can

8 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

You can do that if you used that key to upgrade to W10 previously, otherwise it might not work, but hey there is no harm in trying anyway! (There is a chance it will work) :)

so i can use it on my new pc too correct?

16 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

You can do it with any Windows 7 key.  Same with Windows 8.  I just did it a couple weeks ago.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, ricksteendam1 said:

if you did that you can

ic. So i just need to download the windows 10 os and put it inside my usb correct?

Just now, malaysian gamer said:

ic. So i just need to download the windows 10 os and put it inside my usb correct?

yes, you know how to make a 10 usb?

1 hour ago, malaysian gamer said:

o that 1. Yes i did update to 10 on the windows 7 code. But now i building a new pc can the code still be used to activate it?

Why you just don't move your existing HDD/SSD to new computer? It's much easier. At first run Windows install all necessary drivers and you'll have the same system as now without problems.

19 hours ago, ricksteendam1 said:

yes, you know how to make a 10 usb?

yes. Download the windows 10 creation tool from microsoft website and then run it + copy it to my usb? I think so that is the right way.

19 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Why you just don't move your existing HDD/SSD to new computer? It's much easier. At first run Windows install all necessary drivers and you'll have the same system as now without problems.

so i do not need to reinstall windows even when i change my motherboard and cpu?

19 hours ago, malaysian gamer said:

so i can use it on my new pc too correct?

Most probably, I have done something similar to this. I used a W8 licesese to activate W10 around a month ago and it worked.

18 hours ago, malaysian gamer said:

so i do not need to reinstall windows even when i change my motherboard and cpu?

Not always, most of the time it will work fine.

1 hour ago, malaysian gamer said:

It's much better and EASIER to just check before you start to install again system, that is already installed. :)

In fact you don't need to install or reinstall system in 99% cases, except drive failure (if you have no backup of your system).

After years of using my old win7 without any reinstalling and with 2 or 3 hardware changes (2 motherboards AND 3 hard drives) the same system still works (I have my main win10 system on separate SSD) even after I change mainboard 3rd time last days (and I move both drives - with win7 and win10). It's not some kind of magic - it's just how it works.

5 hours ago, malaysian gamer said:

With Win7 its hit and miss. I've done it 3 times on Win7 and all have resulted to BDODs or bootloops. One was on same manufacturer and chipset, but different model. Win10 should just work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv