can someone explain what a NAS is and what it stands for :)

Go to solution Solved by steffeeh,

To give some more insight on what you can do with one, I have one myself that my entire family uses for backups. Just like jevjev pointed out, a NAS can be accessed from anywhere in the network, whereas an external HDD can only be accessed by the computer it's plugged into (although you can probably connect external HDDs to some routers, but that's less common and you still have the advantage that a NAS is after all a server computer, so it has more features).

So all PCs in our home can access the NAS, and have a backup software installed that backups the entire PC onto the NAS following a schedule, meaning none of us has to lift a finger until something goes wrong on a PC.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

10 minutes ago, R click said:

as title says :) any explanation is much appreciated

nas stands for "network attached storage"

basically its like a computer just for storage and anyone on the wifi network can use that to store files at there own accord like linus's server room

Arctic frost

my first build

cpu: intel i5 8600k

cpu cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE

motherboard: Asus ROG strix z370-E

ram: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133

ssd: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

hdd: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

gpu: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Series

case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White)

psu: EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze 

thanks to @seoz for helping make the list :P and its based of her custom rig

Just now, jevjev said:

nas stands for "network attached storage"

bassicly its like a computer just for storage and anyone on the wifi network can use that to store files at there own accord like linus's server room

thanks fam! simple words are always appreciated :)

Just now, R click said:

thanks fam! simple words are always appreciated :)

no problem 

Arctic frost

my first build

cpu: intel i5 8600k

cpu cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE

motherboard: Asus ROG strix z370-E

ram: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133

ssd: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

hdd: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

gpu: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Series

case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White)

psu: EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze 

thanks to @seoz for helping make the list :P and its based of her custom rig

To give some more insight on what you can do with one, I have one myself that my entire family uses for backups. Just like jevjev pointed out, a NAS can be accessed from anywhere in the network, whereas an external HDD can only be accessed by the computer it's plugged into (although you can probably connect external HDDs to some routers, but that's less common and you still have the advantage that a NAS is after all a server computer, so it has more features).

So all PCs in our home can access the NAS, and have a backup software installed that backups the entire PC onto the NAS following a schedule, meaning none of us has to lift a finger until something goes wrong on a PC.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Just now, steffeeh said:

that is very cool! does it have a user interface? or is it just like any other physical device u plug it in and you can see it on ur network?

On 2018-07-26 at 9:16 PM, R click said:

that is very cool! does it have a user interface? or is it just like any other physical device u plug it in and you can see it on ur network?

It's a full OS with an interface that you log into via the web browser.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

9 hours ago, steffeeh said:

It's a full OS with an interface that you log into via the web browser.

thanks a lot for the explanation brother