Many Huawei devices blacklisted from downloading VLC off Google Play

D13H4RD
2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Well I'm not gonna buy any of their phones now if this is a issue for other apps outside of VLC

It's not VLC specifically being the problem. It's a symptom, not the cause so to speak. VLC like many other programs that require constant 'access' to function and gets paused by proprietary Huawei code. I wouldn't call it killed because it's still there and killing apps is bad for battery life so it would be counterintuitive to do so. They're pausing it though to prevent it running in the background for battery reasons but sometimes you obviously need things to run in the background. Playing media is a very important example and is the one VLC runs into trouble with. It gets paused by the OS automatically when it's running in the background. That breaks core functionality. I'm not sure if it's only background playback. Imagine if Bluetooth, WiFi or cellular shut off when the screen was off. You'd lose core functionality like calls, downloads being cancelled or your smart watch not getting notifications. This is a hypothetical example of course although I wouldn't be surprised if the aggressive power management caused problems with something like a smart watch not syncing properly.

Just for giggles I can tell you that music has paused, played for a couple of seconds and then paused for some minutes for like the past 30 minutes. That's how bad it is.

10 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Just for giggles I can tell you that music has paused, played for a couple of seconds and then paused for some minutes for like the past 30 minutes. That's how bad it is.

This would drive me up a wall e.e

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Yeah I ended up giving up because it got annoying. Still trying to find a solution but I think it needs an update from Huawei to work. I don't think there's any other setting, that I might have missed, to fix it.

14 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

As would everyone using it. 

But others here on the forum think keeping it on the market and driving the user base mad just using the app is better than taking it down until they have a fix. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

But others here on the forum think keeping it on the market and driving the user base mad just using the app is better than taking it down until they have a fix. 

I think that's a bit mad.

Plus, it's Android. You can sideload it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think that's a bit mad.

Plus, it's Android. You can sideload it.

Ok then side load it if it makes you mad. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Ok then side load it if it makes you mad. 

I mean the ideology that keeping the app up there and driving people mad over their phone doing things that breaks the app is somehow better than pulling it until a resolution is found. >.>

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

37 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

I have yet to receive a "this app is very power consuming" notification; it doesn't even give me a warning about the power sucking instagram and all per app battery settings are set to default.

I was an issue for me when i bought mine late last year but i didn't realize after which update they remove that annoying notification, yeah it's all good now. 

23 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Only when you set auto app management. I set all my apps to manual. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I mean the ideology that keeping the app up there and driving people mad over their phone doing things that breaks the app is somehow better than pulling it until a resolution is found. >.>

This doesnt apply to just apps, games do this, hardware does this. Did you ever hear of people saying its doesnt matter how long it takes just make it work?

People having a bad experience while using it has more impact on a service than just waiting it out. 

This doesnt apply to just apps, games do this, hardware does this. Did you ever hear of people saying its doesnt matter how long it takes just make it work?

People having a bad experience while using it has more impact on a service than just waiting it out. 

Yep.

It's either you try to do a workaround, keep it there and suffer from bad reviews for something that is beyond your control or pull it until the offending party does something to fix it on their end

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

pull it until the offending party does something to fix it on their end

And thats what they did. You are going in circles. This isnt the end of the world, put down the pitch fork.

And thats what they did. You are going in circles. This isnt the end of the world, put down the pitch fork.

I never held up a pitchfork in the first place.

I think you meant to point that to the other person who thinks it's the developer's fault and not Huawei's

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I never held up a pitchfork in the first place.

I think you meant to point that to the other person who thinks it's the developer's fault and not Huawei's

Oh....oh yeah that was the other guy.....whoopsy...lol

54 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Vivo doing it too? holy shite

Yep. Really infuriating.

Why those OEMs felt the need to mess with Android's way of handling background tasks, I'll never know

21 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

I was an issue for me when i bought mine late last year but i didn't realize after which update they remove that annoying notification, yeah it's all good now. 

Setting it to manual doesn't always work and certainly doesn't work for me. I mean sure, it's supposed to work but apparently it's deeply flawed.

Users whine about short battery life all the time, then they whine about the app can't run in the background by default.

You can't have both.

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Users whine about short battery life all the time, then they whine about the app can't run in the background by default.

You can't have both.

Yes, you can.

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

You can't have both.

You can.

Big battery and actual proper background process management works for a start.

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You can.

Big battery and actual proper background process management works for a start.

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yes, you can.

Apparently not.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Apparently not.

Not on a Huawei device but that's not a story the Chinese will tell you.

But on proper Android implementations, you most certainly can. There are even proper APIs to help you.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah i'm tired of the usual  pointless ''bUt iOS IS bEtTeR'' argument that seems to happen in about every Android news topic, even thought it's hauwei to blame and nothing to do with Android.

Let’s not pretend Android users don’t do the same.

On topic: tested on my old Note 5 and VLC didn’t close upon locking the phone.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

On topic: tested on my old Note 5 and VLC didn’t close upon locking the phone.

Doesn't happen on most Android phones,

My Note8 had no issue keeping apps in memory and even relevant background processes running.

I have an Huaweii phone. If EMUI is the cause, the I support the blacklist.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Yeah I ended up giving up because it got annoying. Still trying to find a solution but I think it needs an update from Huawei to work. I don't think there's any other setting, that I might have missed, to fix it.

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

As would everyone using it. 

With the way I listen to music that would literally drive me up a wall lol... Imagine being stuck in a freezing ass sever room working on something that takes time and you gotta keep restarting your music >.>

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

As others has said it's hit or miss even when you set it to manual so that's still a big problem if it's not being consistent

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

You can't have both.

You can, it's called uninstalling Facebook and most Google services. 

Doze and proper software design should keep the phone asleep almost permanently.

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yep. Really infuriating.

Why those OEMs felt the need to mess with Android's way of handling background tasks, I'll never know

Generally so that they can advertise the feature and a long battery life. When it works, and it does work on Xiaomi phones, it is brilliant and is a built in way to combat rouge app wake locks.